cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2009, 05:41 PM   #1
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road
Default Scalia: We're wasting some of our best minds

... on the law:

Quote:
Well, you know, two chiefs ago, Chief Justice Burger, used to complain about the low quality of counsel. I used to have just the opposite reaction. I used to be disappointed that so many of the best minds in the country were being devoted to this enterprise.

I mean there’d be a, you know, a defense or public defender from Podunk, you know, and this woman is really brilliant, you know. Why isn’t she out inventing the automobile or, you know, doing something productive for this society?

I mean lawyers, after all, don’t produce anything. They enable other people to produce and to go on with their lives efficiently and in an atmosphere of freedom. That’s important, but it doesn’t put food on the table and there have to be other people who are doing that. And I worry that we are devoting too many of our very best minds to this enterprise.
Funny, especially on the heels of O'Connor complaining that the court is dismantling her decisions.

http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2009/10/01/...-to-lawyering/

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:41 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

He's obviously never met SU.

Never mind, he said "young".
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote