cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2007, 01:13 PM   #1
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road
Default And now for some REAL torture ...

Boy, all you gotta do is take a look at this al-Qaeda "how-to" torture manual they found, and you realize that there's nothing the US has done ... in Iraq, Gitmo, or even the depravity at Abu Ghraib ... that qualifies as torture.

When Bush says "we don't condone torture," this is what he's talking about. Waterboarding is child's play.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,275341,00.html

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 02:02 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extraordinary_rendition
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 02:48 PM   #3
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Boy, all you gotta do is take a look at this al-Qaeda "how-to" torture manual they found, and you realize that there's nothing the US has done ... in Iraq, Gitmo, or even the depravity at Abu Ghraib ... that qualifies as torture.

When Bush says "we don't condone torture," this is what he's talking about. Waterboarding is child's play.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,275341,00.html
That is a pretty dishonest position, don't you think? I think most people will agree that what al-Qaeda does is worse than what the US is reported to have done DIRECTLY. But how do you then reach the conclusion that only one of the groups can be engaging in torture?

The proper measure of our standards should never be al-Qaeda. I would hope everyone, including yourself, would expect a little more than that from our government.

This doesn't even raise the issue of extraordinary rendition that MW pointed out.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 02:51 PM   #4
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
That is a pretty dishonest position, don't you think? I think most people will agree that what al-Qaeda does is worse than what the US is reported to have done. But how do you then reach the conclusion that only one of the groups can be engaging in torture?

The proper measure of our standards should never be al-Qaeda. I would hope everyone, including yourself, would expect a little more than that from our government.
Torture is such a broad, ill-defined, emotion-evoking word, and the Left uses it so carelessly, I thought a little context would be in order.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 05-25-2007, 05:07 PM   #5
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Does Mike really believe the US uniformly uses torture or whether an organization consisting of millions of employees may have a few rogue employees?

Mike has consistly acted as if the US is a large organization uniformly engaging is gross torture of mass numbers of persons. He has never provided evidence thereof, except a memo written which makes a legal argument to support some questionable activities.

Why is this a hot button item?

The US won't really be in the business of torture, it won't cost you money and it's not reflective of how the US routinely operates.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:21 PM   #6
The Borg

The Borg is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmmm....lets see, I think I remember seeing a thread on here....

"Does evil exist?"
Old 05-25-2007, 06:22 PM   #7
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Torture is such a broad, ill-defined, emotion-evoking word, and the Left uses it so carelessly, I thought a little context would be in order.
Context is fine, but that isn't what you are doing. You are stating that what al-Qaeda does is torture (no dispute here) and therefore what the US does is NOT torture (which conclusion, based on your statements alone, has no logical basis).
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 06:36 PM   #8
Tex

Quote:
Context is fine, but that isn't what you are doing. You are stating that what al-Qaeda does is torture (no dispute here) and therefore what the US does is NOT torture (which conclusion, based on your statements alone, has no logical basis).
I think it takes big cognitive cahones to thumb through those detestable drawings and then come back to the US list of interrogation techniques and call any of them torture. It'd be like trying to argue that a flashlight and the sun have roughly the same level of brightness.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 05-25-2007, 08:09 PM   #9
Tex

Quote:
Once again, you are assuming that only one of the two parties could be engaged in torture. You are also assuming that the US policy of transferring detainees to foreign governments for torture is also not part of the equation.

Does the US directly engage in actions as deplorable as al-Qaeda? Almost certainly not (let's hope). But that doesn't give them a pass on what they do do (hehe- I just said do do, hehe).

Again, since when did al-Qaeda become the benchmark of appropriate conduct for the US?
And again, I didn't say it was. I'm talking about definitions, not justifications.

I'll try this one more time. I'm saying outright: one is torture, the other is not. And I'm amazed at how a person could confuse one with the other, ever.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 05-26-2007, 03:23 AM   #10
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

Then what do you call it Tex. I don't see why both would not be torture to varying degrees. You are correct, it is not as bad as what those terrorists do. So what. Yes, we are not as bad.

In regards to waterboarding. Nice to know that it is child's play. I think that comment alone lets me know just about well you understand things.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote