cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2009, 10:47 PM   #81
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Ironically, I think your own statements cross the line from "encouragement to be a mother" to "discouragement to being a professional."

You said if a woman "has to work, so be it." This is a common refrain in the church (and at BYU). This doesn't suggest "we encourage you to explore motherhood and the enjoyment and value that comes from staying at home," but it suggests "only in the worst possible scenario should you consider not staying at home." Those are entirely different statements with entirely different values attached to them. Those who DO work, then, are often made to feel as though they are doing wrong and often feel compelled to demonstrate why the acceptance of work was "necessary" and not just desirable.
Possibly. But this isn't new, and it certainly isn't isolated. These are feelings anyone gets when they make choices that appear to go against church counsel, like the boy who chooses not to go on a mission. Or a little less dramatic: the person who chooses to see R-rated films, or to gamble. Or to be truly trivial, witness the flap over Hinckley's "one earring" comment.

That doesn't excuse those who try to make others feel guilty about these things. That's wrong too. But it doesn't mean the church is coercing them or institutionalizing the guilt. No one will (or ought to) be denied a church calling, or a temple recommend, or be told to stop taking the sacrament because they see R-rated films or wear 2 earrings in one ear. Ditto mothers working outside the home.

They will instead be counseled to avoid it, and then it's up to the individual to decide how it applies to them.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 06:12 PM   #82
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Possibly. But this isn't new, and it certainly isn't isolated. These are feelings anyone gets when they make choices that appear to go against church counsel, like the boy who chooses not to go on a mission. Or a little less dramatic: the person who chooses to see R-rated films, or to gamble. Or to be truly trivial, witness the flap over Hinckley's "one earring" comment.

That doesn't excuse those who try to make others feel guilty about these things. That's wrong too. But it doesn't mean the church is coercing them or institutionalizing the guilt. No one will (or ought to) be denied a church calling, or a temple recommend, or be told to stop taking the sacrament because they see R-rated films or wear 2 earrings in one ear. Ditto mothers working outside the home.

They will instead be counseled to avoid it, and then it's up to the individual to decide how it applies to them.
wow, I'm away for a couple of days, and it turns to this: whether a mother chooses to work outside the home or not is equivalent to whether she wears a single pair of earrings. Interesting.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 07:49 PM   #83
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post
wow, I'm away for a couple of days, and it turns to this: whether a mother chooses to work outside the home or not is equivalent to whether she wears a single pair of earrings. Interesting.
Red herring.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 05-16-2009, 09:24 PM   #84
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:

Isn't the point that this isn't new and it isn't isolated? Isn't that kind of what we are talking about when we use the word "institutionalized?"
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 11:37 PM   #85
RedHeadGal

Quote:
Red herring.
whose red herring? yours?
Old 05-18-2009, 12:28 AM   #86
Tex

Quote:
whose red herring? yours?
This:

Quote:
whether a mother chooses to work outside the home or not is equivalent to whether she wears a single pair of earring
is so not what I said. Is that what you honestly got out of it?

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 05-18-2009, 02:04 AM   #87
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
This is really unnecessary, Barbara, and I'm disappointed you want to go there. You've really joined the snark crowd the last couple of weeks.
please.. her suggestion for byu marketing was hilarious.

Last edited by Mormon Red Death; 05-18-2009 at 02:16 AM.
Mormon Red Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:13 AM   #88
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
My decision to go to law school makes for an insufficient example, but you brought it up, so I'll use it. For most of my college career, I very seriously considered going into academia. When I talked with friends and family about the decision, many if not most expressed concern over whether going into teaching would be the best decision in terms of raising a family, but every last one of them encouraged me to do what I thought was right. My grandfather, for example, is as big a proponent of this model of the family as anybody out there, and was only slightly less vocal in expressing his concern over whether this was right than in expressing his support of whatever I chose to do. One of the reasons I eventually decided to go into law (though, I note, not by any means the only one) is that I believe it will make for a better family life than academia. That was my choice alone; nobody ever tried to keep me from going into teaching.
Just curious but how would working 70 hours a week be more family friendly than teaching where you get 3 months off a year? Is it the money?

edit: Nevermind... I saw the thread below

Last edited by Mormon Red Death; 05-18-2009 at 02:27 AM.
Mormon Red Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 07:06 PM   #89
RedHeadGal

Quote:
This:

is so not what I said. Is that what you honestly got out of it?
look, you showed up at the end of the thread and proclaimed that you hadn't read the first pages. Your reductive take on it at the end fails to address many of the comments made from the beginning.

It's difficult to navigate being an adult, LDS woman and pursuing non-family goals. For a variety of reasons, many of them related to the culture. It's also difficult to be an adult, LDS woman pursuing family goals. For different reaons, but again, many are related to the culture. Both of these circumstances are unique to women and deserve thoughtful consideration.

I agree with Mike that much of this is stating the obvious, but that doesn't prevent some from insisting that it's nothing.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:09 PM   #90
Tex

Quote:
look, you showed up at the end of the thread and proclaimed that you hadn't read the first pages. Your reductive take on it at the end fails to address many of the comments made from the beginning.
You can assume, then, that my post was not intended to address your comments made from the beginning.

Quote:
It's difficult to navigate being an adult, LDS woman and pursuing non-family goals. For a variety of reasons, many of them related to the culture. It's also difficult to be an adult, LDS woman pursuing family goals. For different reaons, but again, many are related to the culture. Both of these circumstances are unique to women and deserve thoughtful consideration.

I agree with Mike that much of this is stating the obvious, but that doesn't prevent some from insisting that it's nothing.
I don't know if you're insinuating that I'm one of those people, but I'm not. I don't approve of some of the judgmentalism that accompanies the culture, and have said so.

That said, I don't think the church has institutionalized that judgmentalism (as some have suggested), nor do I think it should apologize for what doctrine it sets forth on the matter.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young