cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2011, 03:12 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BYU vs. UNLV in Provo

I'm glad that Dave Rose has been following CG and has taken some of my advice.

1. Giving less minutes to Kyle Collinsworth.

Season Averages for minutes (which is distorted a bit by this UNLV game):

K.Collinsworth 25.5 min
C. Abuou 17.6 min
S. Rogers 10.0 min

Minutes for UNLV game:

KC 14
CA 24
SR 21

2. Giving more minutes to Abuou and Rogers. This was a breakout game for Rogers. Probably the most minutes he has seen. 12 points, 2 assists, 8 rebounds. He didn't get credit for a steal, but he did have one on a deflection. DEAR DAVE ROSE, YOU CANNOT WIN WITH A 6 MAN ROTATION!!!!! Again, I'm glad he is listening to me. You have to get contributions from bench players to be successful.

3. Jimmer continues his shooting slump. Again, looked tired, even less explosive than normal.

4. Glad to see Emery get some of his open 3 point looks, as well as Hartsock get a couple open looks on the baseline. Their bread and butter. Just what I was asking about--where have those looks gone?

5. UNLV did not knock down their open 3 point attempts. BYU could really go down with a team that can drive, kick, and shoot. See the NM game. If NM doesn't hit those shots, they don't win.

So we have a big problem with our bench. We essentially have 2 bench players and a true freshman who all play the same position. Collinsworth, Abuou, and Rogers. Luckily, depending on matchups, there is some flexibility. Collinsworth can play a poor-man's point guard, Abuou can play small-ball and defend bigger (or smaller) guys, and Rogers can (on offense), play a combo guard/forward. However, I don't know that Rogers could defend at the 2.

I think you REALLY, REALLY have to scratch your head about why Dave Rose has not developed Rogers with more minutes this season. Abuou is a junior, Rogers is a sophomore, and Collinsworth is going on a mission next year! If anything, it makes sense to have KC come off the bench at those times where you spell Jimmer! Abuou and Rogers are going to be huge keys for next year when Jimmer, Emery, and KC are all gone. Yet Dave Rose acts like Rogers doesn't even exists.

Big-time coaching fail.

Now, I would understand this, if KC was some kind of phenom, who was heads and shoulders better than the other 2. But he isn't. Coaches, esp. basketball coaches, are well known for playing favorites. I mean, I just can't understand why you get Rogers something like 5 minutes a game. It's bizarre.

Here are some production breakdowns for the players:

Points/minute
KC 0.26
SR 0.40
CA 0.31

Rebounds/minute
KC 0.15
SR 0.23
CA 0.25

Assists/minute
KC .09
SR .05
CA .05

TO/minute
KC .07
SR .07
CA .06

Collinsworth is the worst scorer, the worst rebounder, but the best passer.

And perhaps most devastating to KC is his abysmal free-throw shooting. You just can't have that guy on the floor at the end of games.

James Anderson is shooting 28% from the stripe. I think that may be the lowest figure I have ever seen. You shouldn't even have a scholarship if you can't shoot better than that. That's like half of what Shaq shoots.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:48 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, I have to amend my congratulations to Dave Rose for getting Rogers and Abuou more time on Saturday.

He only did so because Kyle Collinsworth had a "mild concussion."

Bizarro-world continues.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:58 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Ok, I have to amend my congratulations to Dave Rose for getting Rogers and Abuou more time on Saturday.

He only did so because Kyle Collinsworth had a "mild concussion."

Bizarro-world continues.
Anderson helped win the Aztec game, so although he'll be a back up to a back up, remember CC went down, he does defend sometimes, has five fouls to give and will occasionally score a garbage bucket.

This team is thinner than last year, but kudos to belong to Rose for figuring how to win with a thin line up and less talent than he possessed last year. The only thing that held the team back last year, was Jimmer's mono. I am worried about his health right now. I hope he's fine.

Rogers provides us some fresh legs, and some scoring punch and Abouo provides energy even if he is a bit erratic. I don't get the fascination with KC though I could see him being a point a bit because he can penetrate some, has some passing skills and length. His FT shooting is abysmal.

28%?

I wonder if you suited me up if I couldn't shoot better than that and I haven't played since YMCA pee wee basketball where I was good enough for five fouls.