cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2012, 03:36 PM   #11
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

This continues to just get weirder. Perry and Gingrich are both out today with criticism of Romney's time at Bain, and some pundits on the right are elated.

I can't see how this is a good thing. It just makes Republicans look like hypocrites, using the same anti-business rhetoric the Left uses.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:48 PM   #12
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
This continues to just get weirder. Perry and Gingrich are both out today with criticism of Romney's time at Bain, and some pundits on the right are elated.

I can't see how this is a good thing. It just makes Republicans look like hypocrites, using the same anti-business rhetoric the Left uses.
Yup.

By the end of this Gingrich will have completely destroyed any goodwill among the GOP.

Remember when we were talking about him maneuvering to get the VP slot? At this rate they wouldn't fire him to be TSA screener.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:08 PM   #13
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post

This is no different than what happens every four years by either non-incumbent party. The candidate who eventually wins the nomination is suddenly endorsed by every previous candidate who had spent the past year ripping him apart, while the voting public experiences this magical whitewashing of their brains, where everything that was said and done over the previous year is instantly moot, forgotten, and swept under the rug. "He may not be perfect, but he's tremendously better than the other guy."

Last edited by ute4ever; 01-09-2012 at 06:50 PM.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:12 PM   #14
MikeWaters
Demiurge

the difference is that Gingrich is much more the megalomaniac than the usual person pursuing the nomination (which is saying something). He sees himself as having some kind of destiny to lead the USA to the promised land. "Frankly", to be a "transformative" and "revolutionary" figure in this new century.

I believe he had convinced himself that he was going to win when his polls numbers were up, and it hurts him beyond imagination to see this slipping away.

He will not go away quietly. He will strap dynamite to his chest, make no mistake about it.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:54 PM   #15
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Current numbers out of New Hampshire:

33 Romney
20 Paul
13 Huntsman
11 Gingrich
10 Santorum

13 undecided
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:06 PM   #16
MikeWaters
Demiurge

There are only two candidates I could get behind: Romney and Huntsman. So a 2nd or 3rd place for Huntsman would be nice.

Hard to see how Santorum has mo' if he finishes 5th.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:02 PM   #17
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
This is no different than what happens every four years by either non-incumbent party. The candidate who eventually wins the nomination is suddenly endorsed by every previous candidate who had spent the past year ripping him apart, while the voting public experiences this magical whitewashing of their brains, where everything that was said and done over the previous year is instantly moot, forgotten, and swept under the rug. "He may not be perfect, but he's tremendously better than the other guy."
Yes, but not using the arguments of the opposition. Romney should be attacked from the right, not the left. I see nothing but harm in Gingrich acting as proxy for the DNC.

And I'm not the only person on the right noticing. Limbaugh, Hot Air's Ed Morrissey, Townhall's Guy Benson, Club for Growth's Chris Chocola, and National Review's Jim Geraghty are just a few of those on the right who are questioning this tactic. And these aren't exactly Romney-bots.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:54 PM   #18
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Am I the only one that is getting sick of Gingrich comparing himself to Reagan every other sentence? I hope Reagan rises from the grave and b-slaps him.

"I knew Ronald Reagan. And you are no Ronald Reagan."
Old 01-10-2012, 01:11 AM   #19
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Am I the only one that is getting sick of Gingrich comparing himself to Reagan every other sentence? I hope Reagan rises from the grave and b-slaps him.

"I knew Ronald Reagan. And you are no Ronald Reagan."
We, Sir, remember and knew Ronald Reagan, and you Mr. Gingrich are no Ronald Reagan!