cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2008, 07:18 PM   #11
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
That's not inspiring either.
At least I'm on a roll.

And as DDD and Barbara are wont to point out, my humor fails me, but I really appreciate Jewish, sarcastic, dark humor. Mormons, we're often too light-hearted to appreciate it, at least that's what I notice when I make my failed attempts at it.

Last edited by Archaea; 10-20-2008 at 07:26 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 08:25 AM   #12
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
I don't think you know what it means to "be in favor of gay marriage." Many people may oppose gay marriage on a religious level -- they think God does not condone it -- but that in our pluralistic, democratic society, gay marriage should be respected as a civil right.

It is the same with abortion: many believe God does not condone it -- even forbids it -- but that in our democratic, free society, it is not the place of the State to forbid it and strip a woman of her agency in that regard, no matter the choices she made that resulted in her pregnancy.

BTW, I fully intend to have light-hearted moments in my next Sacrament meeting talk. Do I sustain the Brethren there?
Nonsense. The direction is clear. Gay marriage is not to be supported at any level, religious or secular.
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 05:21 AM   #13
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default Its also a moral question.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
The Church has not added any questions concerning gay marriage to the temple recommend questions. They could start asking about it immediately if they considered it a core doctrine of the Church. Thus, I must conclude that they do not require a member to support gay marriage bans in order to remain a member of the Church in good standing.

This is a political question. You don't have to support a legal ban on abortion, either, as far as I know. Why don't they add this to the temple recommend questions? Probably because they respect the right of the individual member to disagree with Church leadership on this issue.
are you really that naive? Or you consider sodomy a political issue?

BTW.......what do YOU think about the Proclamation on the Family? Inspired or not? Simple question.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:23 AM   #14
exUte

Default Should gay marriages performed in states

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I don't know what they've done about it. However, I am straight and will forever seek heterosexual companionship.

What goes on in California is of little concern of mine. If gays wish to be miserable like straights, why not let them.
who have legalized it be valid in states where it is not?
Old 10-22-2008, 02:34 PM   #15
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by exUte View Post
are you really that naive? Or you consider sodomy a political issue?

BTW.......what do YOU think about the Proclamation on the Family? Inspired or not? Simple question.
Does this all boil down to sodomy for you? So I'm guessing you also don't think hetero-sexual couples who engage in anal sex should be allowed to marry? What about lesbian couples? No sodomy there. Should we let them marry?
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:44 PM   #16
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

Gays getting married ALWAYS boils down to sodomy, beastiality and pedophilia for a select few people that can't distinguish any kind of difference.

And yes, I have no problem with gay people getting married and I am a member in good standing and I support the prophet and the quorum of the 12. Do you think they are fine though with people like NorCal and exUte talking about them being fudgepackers and also relating it to sodomy, among other things.

If I were you, I would take a long hard look in the mirror about your own standing in the church before you accuse others of 'struggling' with their own standing.

Goatnapper: "UteStar is the only one who is not scum."
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:46 PM   #17
Ceteris Paribus

Ceteris Paribus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteStar View Post
If I were you, I would take a long hard look in the mirror about your own standing in the church before you accuse others of 'struggling' with their own standing.

Words to live by...post of the day.
Ceteris Paribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:09 PM   #18
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
What goes on in California is of little concern of mine. If gays wish to be miserable like straights, why not let them.
Multiple partners and no financial ties to any one person looks pretty good to me. I'm with Arch on this one and maybe we need to send them a note "Be careful what you wish for".

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 03:25 AM   #19
exUte

Default Those that disagree are obviously smarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Cat View Post
sustaining the first presidency, and the twelve apostles? I am serious. If we vote to sustain them in this capacity, doesn't that include following their counsel on an issue they obviously feel is very important?
than the Prophet. They should demand a meeting with him and his counselors to straighten them out.........perhaps they could even pass along some info to the 'higher' ups.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:26 AM   #20
exUte

Default Just based on your guess / analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
I don't think you know what it means to "be in favor of gay marriage." Many people may oppose gay marriage on a religious level -- they think God does not condone it -- but that in our pluralistic, democratic society, gay marriage should be respected as a civil right.

It is the same with abortion: many believe God does not condone it -- even forbids it -- but that in our democratic, free society, it is not the place of the State to forbid it and strip a woman of her agency in that regard, no matter the choices she made that resulted in her pregnancy.

BTW, I fully intend to have light-hearted moments in my next Sacrament meeting talk. Do I sustain the Brethren there?
you think God condones gay marriage? Or abortion?

And IF you don't think they do, you not only stand idly by but fight against God's will? Interesting.

Last edited by exUte; 10-23-2008 at 03:30 AM.
exUte is offline   Reply With Quote