cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2008, 05:26 PM   #111
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
If you would care to refute the self-evident but inexplicably controversial claim that our brain is responsible for our sexual responses, then feel free to offer up a counter-argument rather than just being the pathetic waste of cyberspace that you are.

You keep saying mind and brian are equal. They are not.

mind (mnd) -

1. The human consciousness that originates in the brain and is manifested especially in thought, perception, emotion, will, memory, and imagination.
2. The collective conscious and unconscious processes in a sentient organism that direct and influence mental and physical behavior.
3. The principle of intelligence; the spirit of consciousness regarded as an aspect of reality.
4. The faculty of thinking, reasoning, and applying knowledge: Follow your mind, not your heart.
5. A person of great mental ability: the great minds of the century.
a. Individual consciousness, memory, or recollection: I'll bear the problem in mind.
b. A person or group that embodies certain mental qualities: the medical mind; the public mind.
c. The thought processes characteristic of a person or group; psychological makeup: the criminal mind.
7. Opinion or sentiment: He changed his mind when he heard all the facts.
8. Desire or inclination: She had a mind to spend her vacation in the desert.
9. Focus of thought; attention: I can't keep my mind on work.
10. A healthy mental state; sanity: losing one's mind.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 05:27 PM   #112
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
Sorry, but I went through the thread and I didn't see anything responsive. I assume you simply do not wish to address my points. Fair enough.

But don't try to fool me into thinking you already did (even before I posted them).
You know what? It's obvious you aren't paying attention. Several of the questions you asked clearly show that. Because of that, I really have no desire having to go cut and paste snippets from several posts to satisfy your inability to scavenger hunt and difficulty in reading comprehension. I'm not your errand boy.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 05:28 PM   #113
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
You keep saying mind and brian are equal. They are not.

mind (mnd) -

1. The human consciousness that originates in the brain and is manifested especially in thought, perception, emotion, will, memory, and imagination.
2. The collective conscious and unconscious processes in a sentient organism that direct and influence mental and physical behavior.
3. The principle of intelligence; the spirit of consciousness regarded as an aspect of reality.
4. The faculty of thinking, reasoning, and applying knowledge: Follow your mind, not your heart.
5. A person of great mental ability: the great minds of the century.
a. Individual consciousness, memory, or recollection: I'll bear the problem in mind.
b. A person or group that embodies certain mental qualities: the medical mind; the public mind.
c. The thought processes characteristic of a person or group; psychological makeup: the criminal mind.
7. Opinion or sentiment: He changed his mind when he heard all the facts.
8. Desire or inclination: She had a mind to spend her vacation in the desert.
9. Focus of thought; attention: I can't keep my mind on work.
10. A healthy mental state; sanity: losing one's mind.
Keep saying they are equal?

1. I didn't say it once.
2. Hence, I couldn't "keep saying" it.

They are inextricably linked, are they not? Did I say they were the same? Show me the link where I said they were the same.

I honestly wonder if you guys actually read what I say or you merely see my avatar and then fabricate something based on your caricature of me.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:28 PM   #114
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Commandment or counsel? Are they the same?
Some believe what is said by the brethern in conference addresses are the same as commandment. I can't remember what either your or Tex's position is on the matter.

I do know that there are some people though who do believe that counsel given in conference should be taken as commandment.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 05:32 PM   #115
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Some believe what is said by the brethern in conference addresses are the same as commandment. I can't remember what either your or Tex's position is on the matter.

I do know that there are some people though who do believe that counsel given in conference should be taken as commandment.
To me this is pretty simple. It's about the covenants made in the Temple. If one can honestly one is doing everythng one can (to the best of their ability given personal circumstances) to live up to those covenants, then the rest is just details.

Do I try to apply counsel given in GC in my life as much as I can, given it's applicability? Sure. Am I going to lose sleep over it like I would about paying tithing or not? No way.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:35 PM   #116
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

1. I didn't say it once.

They are inextricably linked, are they not? Did I say they were the same? Show me the link where I said they were the same.

I honestly wonder if you guys actually read what I say or you merely see my avatar and then fabricate something based on your caricature of me.
Since you brought up your avatar--please consider changing it.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 05:35 PM   #117
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
Since you brought up your avatar--please consider changing it.
I did. And I'm not.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:37 PM   #118
Flystripper

Quote:

1. I didn't say it once.

sorry you use "mind" and then talk about biological brain function. My fault for getting confused.

Quote:
Sexuality of any type is all in a person's mind, so why should homosexuality be any different?
Quote:
Where do you think sexual urges come from? Your ankles? Your brain processes various stimuli and formulates reponses to those stimuli. Not all brains are created equal, so people react differently to different stimuli.
Quote:
What????? Since when do we assume 100% control of all our brain functions? Can we control our heart rate just by thinking about it (spare me the Eastern mysticism examples)? Can we control the hormonal balance in our bodies just by thinking about it? Can we control any number of other functions our brain is responsible for?
Quote:
Just because the brain controls and processes sexual urges doesn't by definition imply that it's strictly a voluntary brain function. There are innumerable involuntary or semi-voluntary brain functions that we can't completely control.
First you talk about mind and then all the rest of your comments are about the brain. Sorry I got confused.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:42 PM   #119
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
I realize that, informally, mind and brain are treated as though equivalent, but they aren't.
In what sense? DO you mean from a religious point of view (spirit/mind in the vessel/brain)? Or do you mean from some sort of empirical point of view? Isn't the notion of a mind apart from the physiological existence of our brain a religious construct?
Old 06-10-2008, 05:44 PM   #120
Flystripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
In what sense? DO you mean from a religious point of view (spirit/mind in the vessel/brain)? Or do you mean from some sort of empirical point of view? Isn't the notion of a mind apart from the physiological existence of our brain a religious construct?
definition of brain:

a. The portion of the vertebrate central nervous system that is enclosed within the cranium, continuous with the spinal cord, and composed of gray matter and white matter. It is the primary center for the regulation and control of bodily activities, receiving and interpreting sensory impulses, and transmitting information to the muscles and body organs. It is also the seat of consciousness, thought, memory, and emotion.
b. A functionally similar portion of the invertebrate nervous system.

The definition of mind is above

Does not look the same to me.