cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-2007, 06:49 PM   #1
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default So the MWC sucks this year yet......

We finish with four 9 win teams? Possibly two with double digit wins when AFA takes on Cal. 4 of the 9 members have 9 wins and if TCU wins its bowl game they finish with 8 wins. That is pretty solid. The MWC has an overall record this year of: 59-48 (.551 winnning percentage)

That is pretty good. To put it in comparison with the other conferences:

ACC (12 teams) 3 teams with at least 9 wins, and a potential 4th after Wake plays their bowl game.

Big 12 (12 teams) 4 teams with at least 9 wins. Potentially 5 with Texas Tech still to play.

Big East (8 teams) 4 teams with at least 9 wins.

Big 10 (11 teams) 3 teams with at least 9 wins.

Conference USA (12 teams) 2 teams with at least 9 wins.

MAC (13 teams) 0 teams with at least 9 wins.

Pac-10 (10 teams) 2 teams with at least 9 wins, and OSU and Oregon can get their if they win their bowl games.

SEC (12 teams) 3 teams with at least 9 wins, and Arkansas and Auburn can get their if they win their bowl games.

Sunbelt (8 teams) 0 teams with at least 9 wins.

WAC (10 teams) 2 teams with at least 9 wins.
Old 12-25-2007, 07:08 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

And after all this , 5 teams from the MWC go bowling, and not a single one is matched up with a BCS team with a winning record.

<yawn>

My friends were asking me yesterday "when does BYU play its bowl."

Thanks Samuelson, Holmoe, and Bronco.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 08:04 PM   #3
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
And after all this , 5 teams from the MWC go bowling, and not a single one is matched up with a BCS team with a winning record.

<yawn>

I completely agree with you. BYU is a very small blip on the NCAA radar. I have a friend in South Carolina that knows more about football than any of us combined on this board and he knows I am a BYU fan and we were talking the other night and I was shocked at how little he knew about BYU.
Old 12-26-2007, 01:49 PM   #4
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
I completely agree with you. BYU is a very small blip on the NCAA radar. I have a friend in South Carolina that knows more about football than any of us combined on this board and he knows I am a BYU fan and we were talking the other night and I was shocked at how little he knew about BYU.
Why would you be shocked? BYU fans in South Carolina can't watch BYU on TV, ESPN's coverage of BYU (both games and highlights) has been practically non-existent this year, with the possible exception of the games against UCLA. Our only legit hope is to start the year ranked, and then just win baby. We cannot afford an early loss or two to start the year next year. Maybe a mid-season loss like at TCU wouldn't kills us if TCU is unbeaten, but much else pretty much takes us off the national radar.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 01:58 PM   #5
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Regardless of how many 9 win teams the MWC has, there still is a wide chasm between being the #6 and #7 conference in the country.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbc07.htm
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 02:15 PM   #6
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

<yawn>

And what do Samuelson, Holmoe and Bronco have to do with your complaint.

Ever heard the term, "what is, is."

I think the Bowl deal was put in place prior to their administration. The Mtn deal everyone bawls and moans about is still better than what we had. Believe me, losing records and being seen on ESPN didn't put us in the college football limelight.

While I don't agree with everyting they say, I think the three amigo's have done an outstanding job so far, if you judge by results.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 02:54 PM   #7
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
And what do Samuelson, Holmoe and Bronco have to do with your complaint.

Ever heard the term, "what is, is."

I think the Bowl deal was put in place prior to their administration. The Mtn deal everyone bawls and moans about is still better than what we had. Believe me, losing records and being seen on ESPN didn't put us in the college football limelight.

While I don't agree with everyting they say, I think the three amigo's have done an outstanding job so far, if you judge by results.
Where do you live? I'm in Texas and I don't get The Mtn(like everyone else that doesn't live in the immediate Rocky Mountain Area). At least when BYU was on ESPN I could see their games.

How does that make the current deal 'better?' BYU's(and the MWC's) national exposure went from some to none.
Old 12-26-2007, 02:59 PM   #8
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtall View Post
Where do you live? I'm in Texas and I don't get The Mtn(like everyone else that doesn't live in the immediate Rocky Mountain Area). At least when BYU was on ESPN I could see their games.

How does that make the current deal 'better?' BYU's(and the MWC's) national exposure went from some to none.
Money and that is what it is all about, not the number of fans that watch.

Do you think if we had been on ESPN we would have been ranked higher the last two years, I doubt it.

I feel for you guys who don't get the Mtn., I really do. On the other hand I do get it and the coverage for me has been far better than it was on ESPN. I am talking about actual games.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 04:04 PM   #9
DJRoss

DJRoss is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to DJRoss
Default What would be cool at this point would be if...

BYU can go to a BCS game next season and than negotiate a BYU only deal with ESPN. This is assuming that the mtn fiasco has not been taken care of and BYU goes their own way in dealing with their visibility. I am not saying they necessarily leave the conference (even though I think they could pull it off), but that they like Georgia and Oklahoma did in 1985, take control of their own exposure.

I could see ESPN paying BYU up to 2 Million a year for rights to air. I could see them taking over a million a year in trade for BYU to maintain scheduling rights or at least guarantees.

Click on image for my card and blog
DJRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 04:10 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Let's do a hypothetical: BYU games are free on any system (cable or satellite), but you have to call in and specifically request the channel.

So every BYU fan has access, and virtually no one else does.

And let's say that the money given to BYU is slightly more money than BYU would get from an ESPN deal.

Is this good for BYU? More money, every BYU fan with access.

I think it would be a horrible deal. But obviously Holmoe et al. would be ecstatic.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote