cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Food
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2006, 05:00 AM   #1
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road
Default Indian and Thai Recipes

OK folks. Let's chat it up, before Mike deletes the topic.

I love to cook. I just wish I had more time to do it. I enjoy exploring new areas. My current focus is Indian and Thai food. I love to go to Indian and Thai restaurants, but it is challenging to learn how to cook it home due to the exotic spices used and my general lack of knowledge on this genre of cooking. I have found a few good recipes, but I have crashed and burned a couple times also.

So, my question is, anyone here have any expertise in this area? Care to point me to some websites with some good recipes in this category?
Old 05-17-2006, 05:22 AM   #2
danimal

danimal is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeboy
OK folks. Let's chat it up, before Mike deletes the topic.

I love to cook. I just wish I had more time to do it. I enjoy exploring new areas. My current focus is Indian and Thai food. I love to go to Indian and Thai restaurants, but it is challenging to learn how to cook it home due to the exotic spices used and my general lack of knowledge on this genre of cooking. I have found a few good recipes, but I have crashed and burned a couple times also.

So, my question is, anyone here have any expertise in this area? Care to point me to some websites with some good recipes in this category?
I'm a big fan of Indian and Thai too. My wife has been collecting some recipes -- I'll see if I can find the links or post the recipes. I'd die to be able to make a good massaman curry or naan.
Tobias: You know, Lindsay, as a therapist, I have advised a number of couples to explore an open relationship where the couple remains emotionally committed, but free to explore extra-marital encounters.

Lindsay: Well, did it work for those people?

Tobias: No, it never does. I mean, these people somehow delude themselves into thinking it might, but...but it might work for us.
danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 06:52 AM   #3
The_Tick

The_Tick is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to The_Tick Send a message via MSN to The_Tick

Thai is a funny style.

What kills me is the curry. I love curry, but not a big fan of the Coconut milk curry style of cooking. Curry should be hot not sweet.

I have quite a few Indian folks that live in the neighborhood. Don't walk when you are hungry cause it will kill you.

Unfortunatly I don't get to cook it because my family are pansies. My wife and oldest daughter think pepper is too hot. I am talking Black Pepper here folks.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:36 PM   #4
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I LOVE naan. This recipe is especially easy w/ a bread machine.

Naan

1 Tbsp oil
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1/2 cup milk, (warm, not too hot)
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp baking soda
2 cups bread flour
2 tsp yeast

for later: flour for dusting, 3 Tbsp melted unsalted butter, 1 Tbsp nigella seeds

Place first 7 ingredients in order suggested by bread machine manufacturer's. Program for dough cycle. Press start

Line 2 large pans with parchment paper and brush with melted butter. When dough cycle is done, remove dough and place on work surface dusted with flour, divide in 6 equal portions. Roll out each into 4-5 inch flat uneven round or oval shape, about 1/2 inch thick. As they are shaped, place on baking sheet and cover with towel. Each should rest for 20 minutes.

Preheat oven 450 degrees. Flatten each round with your palm, then stretch on one side to make elongated oval shape. Brush each top with melted butter and sprinkle with nigella seeds. Bake one pan at at time withough turning, until golden brown and crisp, 5-8 minutes.
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 12:42 PM   #5
FarrahWaters

This is not my favorite, but one of Mike's favorite Indian dishes. I'm partial to vindaloo myself, anyone have a good recipe for that?

Saag (spinach sauce)

1 lb spinach
2 cloves garlic
3/4 inch fresh ginger, grated
2 green chilies, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
2 Tbsp oil or ghee
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp nutmeg
3 Tbsp yoghurt or plain yogurt
1 cup water
1/2 cup cream or half/half

Steam spinach over simmering water until tender. Squeeze out excess moisture and chop finely.
Place garlic, ginger, chili, and onion in a food processor, process until very finely chopped, or a paste.
Heat ghee in wok, add paste and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add salt, cumin, nutmeg, yogurt, and water. Simmer 5 minutes. Transer mixture back to food processor, add steamed spinach and process until smooth. Return mixture to wok, add cream, and cook for 10 minutes or until sauce is heated through.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:45 PM   #6
FarrahWaters

Mango Lassi (Indian yogurt drink)

frozen mango
plain yogurt
water (just enough to blend smoothly)
honey to taste

blend until smooth. Serve with spicy food. If you have fresh mango, put some ice in instead of all water.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:49 PM   #7
FarrahWaters

Don't know how authentic it is, but it's pretty good. I make with chicken instead of salmon, and add more curry paste to make it spicier

Red Thai Curry w/Salmon
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/re...ws/views/14189
Old 05-17-2006, 02:35 PM   #8
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Go Farrah!

Thanks for the recipes. I will definitely try the Thai Curry Salmon recipe. We eat salmon about once a week and are always looking for new ways to cook it.

The Saag looks fun, too. Thanks.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:44 PM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Mmmmm......saag.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 03:15 PM   #10
DirtyHippieUTE

DirtyHippieUTE is on a distinguished road

Not really "authentic" but easy to prepare and I like it...

Title: Nutty Shrimp Pasta

Ingredients:
"A Taste of Thai Peanut Sauce Mix" (look in the Asian Foods section of the grocery store)
1 can coconut milk
vegetable oil
1 lb medium shrimp (also good with chicken)
2 tsp soy sauce
1 bunch chopped scallions
1 1/2 cup bean sprouts
1 pound pasta, prepared (I like angel hair pasta, but you can use any type)
1/4 cup unsalted peanuts, chopped roughly
chopped fresh cilantro

Directions:
In large skillet heat 2 tbs vegetable oil. Add shrimp and saute 4 min. Add soy sauce, scallions and bean sprouts.

In medium sauce pan prepare Peanut Sauce by combining 1 packet of Peanut Suace Mix and 1 can of coconut milk. Heat and stir until boiling, then simmer 4 minutes.

Add pasta to large skillet shrimp mixture. Add peanut sauce to shrimp mixture. Toss together and serve with chopped peanuts and fresh cilantro garnish.

It takes about 20 minutes