cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Food
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2007, 02:17 AM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default Salsa recipes

I know a lot of you guys are probably into this. I'm not a big salsa guy, and I've never made my own. But I am absolutely in love with the salsa at the mexican restaurant just south of NuSkin on University Ave in Provo. Los dos amigos? Something like that.

The salsa is kinda runny not thick, but has thick pieces of stewed tomato and has maybe some onion and green pepper but not much else. It needs a little salt but it is heaven for me right now.

Anyone know this place or might have a recipe that sounds like this?
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 02:46 AM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

That's the kind of salsa I prefer - more liquid with chunks of tomatoes, peppers, onions, etc.

I'd like to know where good stuff as well. Perhaps a Mexican market? There's got to be one in the Provo/Orem area.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 12:49 PM   #3
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been to Los 3 Amigos. I don't remember it being that great, but it's been a few years.

There's a previous thread on Salsa that has some recipes you might like. Farah has a really good Salsa Verde recipe. I've used it a couple of times and really like it.

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4635
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 05:57 PM   #4
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I like my salsa coming out of the big plastic jugs you get at Costco, with preservatives. Not the fancy crunchy watery stuff that runs out or goes bad fast. Salsa is my ketchup.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 06:05 PM   #5
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I know a lot of you guys are probably into this. I'm not a big salsa guy, and I've never made my own. But I am absolutely in love with the salsa at the mexican restaurant just south of NuSkin on University Ave in Provo. Los dos amigos? Something like that.

The salsa is kinda runny not thick, but has thick pieces of stewed tomato and has maybe some onion and green pepper but not much else. It needs a little salt but it is heaven for me right now.

Anyone know this place or might have a recipe that sounds like this?
My wife used to work there and they wouldnt even tell her the recipe. The owner is the only one that knows and he makes it secretly in the morning before everyone arrives/.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:15 PM   #6
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
My wife used to work there and they wouldnt even tell her the recipe. The owner is the only one that knows and he makes it secretly in the morning before everyone arrives/.
I've gone there every couple months for years. At first I didn't like the salsa, then I started to like it, lately I've been craving it.

I did make some last night.

pint of stewed tomatoes
yellow onion
three large jalapenos
6 or 7 cloves or garlic
two tsp vinegar

I blended the onions/jalapenos/garlic but did it too much till they were almost puree. Put the tomotoes in and tried to blend just a little but again went too far and the salsa ended up looking almost like a thick vegetable drink. Added a lot of salt and pepper, and it actually came out pretty delicious. It ended up very spicy and very garlicky but I love garlic.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 01:50 AM   #7
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I've gone there every couple months for years. At first I didn't like the salsa, then I started to like it, lately I've been craving it.

I did make some last night.

pint of stewed tomatoes
yellow onion
three large jalapenos
6 or 7 cloves or garlic
two tsp vinegar

I blended the onions/jalapenos/garlic but did it too much till they were almost puree. Put the tomotoes in and tried to blend just a little but again went too far and the salsa ended up looking almost like a thick vegetable drink. Added a lot of salt and pepper, and it actually came out pretty delicious. It ended up very spicy and very garlicky but I love garlic.
That looks like a good recipe. Is it a bit on the vinegary side?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 04:25 AM   #8
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

I use whole canned tomatoes, usually two of the big cans from the grocery store. A bunch of cilantro. I use green onions instead of a yellow onion because I don't like the crunch, texture thing really for me. This I chop and it usually comes out to about 1/2-3/4 cup. 2-3 jalapenos depending on how hot I want it. This usually is very mild. 1-2 limes squeezed to taste. Tablespoon of minced garlic and salt and pepper to taste. All of this goes in a food processor and I just pulse it a few times which is all it takes. Just play with the ingredients to your desired taste. I like lime and cilantro so I am a bit heavy on those ingredients.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 12:50 PM   #9
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

I was telling my wife about this thread and she wanted to know if there is anything specific that needs to be done as far as bottling salsa or putting it into Jars.

Does anyone have experience with this? Farrah, I think she'd trust you the most....

No offense guys.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:35 PM   #10
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
I was telling my wife about this thread and she wanted to know if there is anything specific that needs to be done as far as bottling salsa or putting it into Jars.

Does anyone have experience with this? Farrah, I think she'd trust you the most....

No offense guys.
Sorry, Drum, I just saw this. I don't have much experience with canning, so I can't suggest any recipes. (I had to can our extra plums last year, and it was not a pleasant experience). I think I remember reading that if you can tomatoes, you need to add extra acid to prevent the growth of bacteria. I would just do a search for canning salsa recipes, find out how much acid you need, and adjust your own recipe accordingly.
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote