cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2006, 06:18 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Who believes that Abraham was a real person?

Or do we believe that he is a symbol for some other patriarch, later reaching the title of Abraham?
Old 12-01-2006, 06:28 PM   #2
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey I'm not even convinced Seattle Ute is a real person. I've never met him in person, and all of the theories attributed to him have some form of doubt to their validity. He is probably an entity created by "his little brother" mark to sway the favor of the ladies in thinking he has a rich attorney brother, and thereby gain personal favor.

I mean seriously. The Ute tribe was not in the pacific northwest. I can't believe how many he's led astray with his very Sassurean title.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 06:35 PM   #3
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

I couldn't tell you what "we" believe, but I believe he was real. Note, this is a matter of faith and not archeology, not that those are necessarily inconcisitent.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:41 PM   #4
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I couldn't tell you what "we" believe, but I believe he was real. Note, this is a matter of faith and not archeology, not that those are necessarily inconcisitent.

Archeology is merely a different kind of faith.

I believe that science and religion are the same thing. Discuss ...
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 07:09 PM   #5
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Where outside of the OT and the B of A do you see evidence of Abraham per se (as opposed to generic prototypes)?

BTW, as I'm sure you know there's a mountain of evidnece that their was a Trojan war, or like wars between Greeks and Minoans, etc. Do you believe Achilles et al. really existed?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 07:13 PM   #6
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Where outside of the OT and the B of A do you see evidence of Abraham per se (as opposed to generic prototypes)?

BTW, as I'm sure you know there's a mountain of evidnece that their was a Trojan war, or like wars between Greeks and Minoans, etc. Do you believe Achilles et al. really existed?
I don't, although I haven't looked. Do you think Achilles has been proven not to exist?
Old 12-01-2006, 07:15 PM   #7
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
Archeology is merely a different kind of faith.

I believe that science and religion are the same thing. Discuss ...
Science and faith are not the same at all. This is a common canard purveyed by religious folks. Were this view widely accepted we'd still be in the so-called Middle Ages.

Science is all about suspending belief until a hypothesis can be supported with empirical evidence--i.e., tangible evidence perceived by the senses in a variety of ways (not just through experiminatiob, btw). Even then, vigorous and rigorous empirical investigation continues unabated. For example, science may conclude it more likely than not that Abraham existed based on the solitary evidence of the OT, but science must also forthrightly acknowledge that the OT has a credibility problem relating many fanciful events that can't possibly be true based--again--on human experience received by the senses.

—Paul Auster
Old 12-01-2006, 07:16 PM   #8
SeattleUte

Quote:
I don't, although I haven't looked. Do you think Achilles has been proven not to exist?
No. But I beleive barbarian long haired Greeks conquered the Minoans and became heirs to their culture. Not unlike what happened to Greece and then Rome. A big circle.

—Paul Auster
Old 12-01-2006, 07:18 PM   #9
SeattleUte

Quote:
The OT is the sole source. On the other hand, we believe there was such a thing as Thermopylae based on Herodotus' account only. And he has a ton of credibility problems.

—Paul Auster
Old 12-01-2006, 07:22 PM   #10
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
No. But I beleive barbarian long haired Greeks conquered the Minoans and became heirs to their culture. Not unlike what happened to Greece and then Rome. A big circle.
So is this scientific belief or faith belief? Are you pining for the middle ages here?