cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2007, 04:11 PM   #1
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road
Default Mulan II

The latest Asian-themed movie from Disney, previous producer of Mulan (aka The Legend of Mulan).

In my opinion this movie was far inferior to the first movie. From the previews you get the impression that there is a lot of action and fighting. Sadly what you see in the previews IS all the fighting in the movie.

The beginning is especially boring as they set up the ploddingly predictable royal intrigues with the princesses and the gang of three.

This movie doesn't know what it wants to be. It fails as an action movie (Hero). It fails at being a intrigue-filled thriller (Elizabeth). And it fails as a Greek/Shakespearean tragedy (Ran, King Lear).

It may be worth catching for big fans of Shang and Mulan, but don't expect anything that is amazing or breathtaking.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 04:20 PM   #2
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Totally agree. Mulan II also fails in the smart-aleck talking animal department (ala Midsummer Nights Dream). This point is critical because Mulan I was so succesful casting Edward Murphy as Mushu. I believe it was this role that later catapulted him into his now famous role as Donkey from Shrek. Unfortunately he forgot where he came from and refused the role of Mushu for Mulan II. We are all the worse for it.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 04:34 PM   #3
BigFatMeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Totally agree. Mulan II also fails in the smart-aleck talking animal department (ala Midsummer Nights Dream). This point is critical because Mulan I was so succesful casting Edward Murphy as Mushu. I believe it was this role that later catapulted him into his now famous role as Donkey from Shrek. Unfortunately he forgot where he came from and refused the role of Mushu for Mulan II. We are all the worse for it.
Honey, get the net - I got a big lunker on the line!
Old 04-09-2007, 04:35 PM   #4
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
Honey, get the net - I got a big lunker on the line!
Last time I play along with you.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 04:38 PM   #5
BigFatMeanie

Honey, do we have any dry clothes in the camper? That fish just pulled me into the water.