cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2007, 05:05 PM   #11
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
I think we would get more of the blue chip LDS kids, but I am not convinced that would be a huge boost. Most of the blue chip LDS kids are on both lines. The kids BYU gets for both lines are pretty much still very good. If BYU loses a Haloti Ngata, they still get plenty of Russel Tialeevas or Ethyn Malamenaluememealaameala. The step down is not so drastic.

So I tend to agree with you which is why I wonder why you want BYU in a BCS conference. Instead of whining about BYU not being recognized then you would whine about BYU losing. Think about how much 2002-2004 sucked. Further, BCS losers don't get recognition either. So it would be double whining which might be a positive, I don't know.
I've heard that Ethyn Malamenaluememealaameala is a non-qualifier. Too bad, as he's a beast against the run and the pass. It's not often a 6'5" 270 lb. kid that runs a 4.4 40 and has a 50" vertical leap comes along.

Then again, even if he was a qualifier, he wouldn't see the field for a few years, as he mentioned that a mission is in his plans and nothing will change his mind about that and he'd most likely redshirt as well. He wouldn't see the field until 2011.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 05:13 PM   #12
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I've heard that Ethyn Malamenaluememealaameala is a non-qualifier. Too bad, as he's a beast against the run and the pass. It's not often a 6'5" 270 lb. kid that runs a 4.4 40 and has a 50" vertical leap comes along.
What do you mean? He has been playing all year. Is this a recent development?
Old 10-11-2007, 05:14 PM   #13
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Then again, even if he was a qualifier, he wouldn't see the field for a few years, as he mentioned that a mission is in his plans and nothing will change his mind about that and he'd most likely redshirt as well. He wouldn't see the field until 2011.
What exactly are you talking about?
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 05:17 PM   #14
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:

I hate to pile on, but you heard wrong. After Russell Tialavea went down with his knee injury...Manu stepped in and has been the starter from day one and to the shock of the coaching staff has performed way beyond expectations. He's mission bound after the season.

The 2 non-qualifiers we had out of the 07 recruiting class were WR Scotty Ebert from Jordan High School who's now down at Snow and DE from Bingham Star Lotulelei...and I thought he was at Snow,,,but maybe he went to a different JC instead.

BYU's run defense is in the Top 25 in the nation.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:36 PM   #15
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
I hate to pile on, but you heard wrong. After Russell Tialavea went down with his knee injury...Manu stepped in and has been the starter from day one and to the shock of the coaching staff has performed way beyond expectations. He's mission bound after the season.

The 2 non-qualifiers we had out of the 07 recruiting class were WR Scotty Ebert from Jordan High School who's now down at Snow and DE from Bingham Star Lotulelei...and I thought he was at Snow,,,but maybe he went to a different JC instead.

21 to be exact, only giving up 99 yards per game. Surpringly we are 3rd in the conference behind Wyoming and UNM.

Also number 1 was a shock to me based on their record, Oregon State is number 1 only giving up 43 rushing yards a game.

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank....shdef&site=org
Old 10-11-2007, 05:39 PM   #16
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
21 to be exact, only giving up 99 yards per game. Surpringly we are 3rd in the conference behind Wyoming and UNM.

Also number 1 was a shock to me based on their record, Oregon State is number 1 only giving up 43 rushing yards a game.

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank....shdef&site=org
Check out Oregon State's turnovers lost ranking.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 05:47 PM   #17
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Check out Oregon State's turnovers lost ranking.
I just saw that, also they are dead last in just about every special teams category. The fact that they are 3-3 is pretty good considering those numbers, they are 1st in rush defense and 2nd in Sacks, which to me shows that they have a very good D-line.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:49 PM   #18
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
I just saw that, also they are dead last in just about every special teams category. The fact that they are 3-3 is pretty good considering those numbers, they are 1st in rush defense and 2nd in Sacks, which to me shows that they have a very good D-line.
Yeah, I'm not necessarily sure I'd like that matchup in the LV Bowl.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 06:57 AM   #19
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
We'd get more of the 4 and 5 star blue chip LDS recruits. That's for sure.
You mean guys like Matt Berry, Ben Olson and Ofa Moheatu?
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 07:02 AM   #20
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Dang. Utes are screwed for years to come.

Good thing that sports don't matter, eh?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote