cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2006, 03:26 PM   #11
DirtyHippieUTE

DirtyHippieUTE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin
Right now we have one unreliable car. We are looking to replace it. Considering the cost of gas, the cost of a new car, the fact that motorcycles can split lanes and ride in the HOV lane, the fact that we live in SoCal, the bike makes a lot of sense as a replacement for an unreliable car. We have a pickup that we seldom use, which I can use on days that a motorcycle isn't an option.

But the bike is going to be for commuting. There is a good chance, come next winter, that I will be commuting one day a week up to San Luis Obispo to teach a class. It will be a hell of a commute, three hours each way. What do people think about the feasibility of six hours on a bike once a week? What impact should that possibility have on my choice?

Right now I am interested in the V Stars. The Silverado 650 has the windshield and gear bags, which I am going to need for these longer trips.

So yeah, trips up the coast are in the picture.
You can get saddle bags and a windshield for almost any bike out there so don't base your decision on accessories.

If you're going to be riding everyday then you want to remember a couple of things. Despite what the bike looks like, the feel is a lot more important (remember, you'll be sitting for up to 3 hours at a time). Some bikes look really good, and are fine when you're in the mood to go for a long ride, but you're going to have to ride this thing when you're tired, when the weather isn't great, and you will have to ride on some days that you'd much rather not be out on a bike. So... Look for comfort/utility. Posture is a big thing for me, I can't do the thing where you're always hanging on the bars, I need more of a fatty seat.

Another big thing... Upkeep. Somebody mentioned air cooled vs water cooled bikes. Fortunately, this isn't a brand new model so you should be able to do a lot of reliability research on the web.

The best way to sum this up for me is to consider the bad choices some friends have made. One buddy HAD to have a Harley. It was loud, it looked good and it made him feel a little less inadequate as a man. After a couple of months he was sick and tired of getting bounced around by the v twin, going deaf from the noise and paying a TON in upkeep.

He switched to a BMW and has never looked back.

I had another friend who wanted a "sporty" bike because he thought cruisers looked like an old man's bike with their windshields etc... Cleanig dead bugs out of his pant cuffs got a little old and the "sporty" feel became a daily ab workout for him. I think his bike is still in the garage.
DirtyHippieUTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 04:09 PM   #12
Robin

Robin is an unknown quantity at this point

r.f.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 04:46 PM   #13
Rickomatic

Rickomatic

It has been brought up before, but one of the biggest mistakes anyone can make it buying a name. Harleys, Hondas, Suzuki’s or Kawasaki’s; whatever brand will have good points and bad points. Decide what is comfortable for you. Some like cruisers, some will prefer a road hog while others like bullet bikes. Before dumping 5K or more on a new/used bike; rent a few. Try them out. Decide what is good for your body. I never thought I would like to lie down on a bike until I tried a 900GXR that a friend let me ride for a week. It is fun to ride and for long trips (I go between Salt Lake and Idaho Falls often) it feels very comfy FOR ME. Remember that no one can tell you how you feel. Another thing to consider, how much maintenance do you want to do? A chain bike will require a little more maintenance than a shaft drive. Water cooled should also tend to be a little more maintenance friendly than an air cooled bike. Read consumer reports, read in some bike forums, and then ride a few bikes. Don't decide what would work for you without trying it out first. I have seen too many people get a bike, ride it for a month and then never ride it again.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."

Mark Twain
Rickomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 04:54 PM   #14
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

If you're going to be be taking the bike on the freeway a lot, you'll want something heavier than an adventure bike. When you're going 80 mph, with a cross wind and an 18 wheeler zooming past you, you want a heavy bike. If you are going to have a 3 hour commute once a week, you're going to want a cruiser. Take a look at this one:

http://www.kawasaki.com/product_deta...tag=motorcycle

or this one:
http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products...6/Default.aspx
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 05:36 PM   #15
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

I have had bikes since i was a little kid all through highschool i drove a Kawasaki YTD 1000, and about a year ago i bought a Polaris Victory, it is 1600cc.

http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-...as/Gallery.htm

Mine is a different color, but in terms of cruising and comfortability this bike takes it. I never thought you could take a corner at 85 on a bike this big, it is so smooth. However it is a 16000 bike, so maybe a little to costly, but if you can swing it.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:48 PM   #16
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I rode a bike almost everyday for 3 years in gnarly Houston traffic.

Lessons I learned: I would get something with more power that I had (450cc). If I were going to have an upright style bike, I would get a windshield (I didn't have one).

And lastly, dont' ride a motorcycle if you want to live a long productive healthy life.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 09:04 PM   #17
Robin

r.f.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:29 AM   #18
Robin

r.f.