cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-19-2010, 10:53 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Halloween on a Sunday, AACCCKKKKK!!!!!

It recently came to my attention that Halloween this year falls on a Sunday.

Over the years I have really had a number of highly varied opinions on Halloween.

I enjoyed it as a kid. I don't ever remember my parents taking me. From a very early age, I went by myself, or with my brothers, or friends. Of course, this was also in the days that a kindergartener might walk 2 miles to school by himself (which I did).

On my mission, in a number of debates with some Jehovah's Witnesses, they discussed Halloween and its pagan roots and how it isn't Godly, etc. Ok, I thought, maybe it isn't so splendidly Christian, maybe we ought not be celebrating it at church. Just a thought (btw, I really don't like the JW religion, though I met many nice people, so don't consider this any kind of endorsement of their beliefs).

Getting a little older, I considered it an annoyance. Blasted kids ringing my doorbell. Get away.

But now that I have kids, I've been forced to confront my beliefs and attitudes once again. And I have realized something. Halloween is the only community holiday we have in this country. It's the only one! What other holiday brings out neighbors, and kids, and parents and sets everyone into motion so that we meet and talk and laugh? What other holiday gets that kind of participation. I have come to believe that it is actually important to the fabric of our communities and that you support your community by participating in Halloween.

Onto Sunday participation...some might argue yes, some might argue no. I argue yes. Here's why: 1) the primary product of Halloween is community kinship and bonding. That's a worthy thing. 2) LDS celebrate other holidays when they fall on Sundays. Do we forgo Christmas when it falls on a Sunday? But it celebrate's Christ's birth, you say. Please. Opening presents around a Christmas tree with stockings filled by Santa Claus is celebrating Christ? It's not like we restrict those pagan-ish traditional festivities just because its Sunday.

So what I have proposed to my wife, is that we curtail a more extensive trick-or-treating operation with the kids, but instead take them to at least the houses on our street. Make the rounds, talk with the neighbors.

There you have it.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote