cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2007, 09:10 PM   #11
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Here's a question for you. Does the LDS church even have doctrine per se, or is it just a mish mash of ever fluid, orally transmitted and contradictory lore? I think the very question you pose answers this question resoundingly as the latter.
The Articles of Faith....

THE ARTICLES OF FAITH
OF THE CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST OF LATTER-DAY SAINTS
History of the Church, Vol. 4, pp. 535—541
1 We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the dHoly Ghost.
2 We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adam’s transgression.
3 We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all bmankind may be csaved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.
4 We believe that the first principles and aordinances of the Gospel are: first, bFaith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, cRepentance; third, dBaptism by eimmersion for the fremission of sins; fourth, Laying on of ghands for the hgift of the Holy Ghost.
5 We believe that a man must be acalled of God, by bprophecy, and by the laying on of chands by those who are in dauthority, to epreach the Gospel and administer in the fordinances thereof.
6 We believe in the same aorganization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, bprophets, cpastors, dteachers, eevangelists, and so forth.
7 We believe in the agift of btongues, cprophecy, drevelation, evisions, fhealing, ginterpretation of tongues, and so forth.
8 We believe the aBible to be the bword of God as far as it is translated ccorrectly; we also believe the dBook of Mormon to be the word of God.
9 We believe all that God has arevealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet breveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.
10 We believe in the literal agathering of Israel and in the restoration of the bTen Tribes; that cZion (the New Jerusalem) will be built upon the American continent; that Christ will dreign personally upon the earth; and, that the earth will be erenewed and receive its fparadisiacal gglory.
11 We claim the aprivilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the bdictates of our own cconscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them dworship how, where, or what they may.
12 We believe in being asubject to bkings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in cobeying, honoring, and sustaining the dlaw.
13 aWe believe in being bhonest, true, cchaste, dbenevolent, virtuous, and in doing egood to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul—We believe all things, we fhope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to gendure all things. If there is anything hvirtuous, ilovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.
Joseph Smith
Old 04-20-2007, 09:19 PM   #12
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
The Articles of Faith....

THE ARTICLES OF FAITH
OF THE CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST OF LATTER-DAY SAINTS
History of the Church, Vol. 4, pp. 535—541
1 We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the dHoly Ghost.
2 We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adam’s transgression.
3 We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all bmankind may be csaved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.
4 We believe that the first principles and aordinances of the Gospel are: first, bFaith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, cRepentance; third, dBaptism by eimmersion for the fremission of sins; fourth, Laying on of ghands for the hgift of the Holy Ghost.
5 We believe that a man must be acalled of God, by bprophecy, and by the laying on of chands by those who are in dauthority, to epreach the Gospel and administer in the fordinances thereof.
6 We believe in the same aorganization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, bprophets, cpastors, dteachers, eevangelists, and so forth.
7 We believe in the agift of btongues, cprophecy, drevelation, evisions, fhealing, ginterpretation of tongues, and so forth.
8 We believe the aBible to be the bword of God as far as it is translated ccorrectly; we also believe the dBook of Mormon to be the word of God.
9 We believe all that God has arevealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet breveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.
10 We believe in the literal agathering of Israel and in the restoration of the bTen Tribes; that cZion (the New Jerusalem) will be built upon the American continent; that Christ will dreign personally upon the earth; and, that the earth will be erenewed and receive its fparadisiacal gglory.
11 We claim the aprivilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the bdictates of our own cconscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them dworship how, where, or what they may.
12 We believe in being asubject to bkings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in cobeying, honoring, and sustaining the dlaw.
13 aWe believe in being bhonest, true, cchaste, dbenevolent, virtuous, and in doing egood to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul—We believe all things, we fhope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to gendure all things. If there is anything hvirtuous, ilovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.
Joseph Smith
Where, for example, is the part about baptism for the dead, endowments, etc.? Does that not touch and concern the plan of salvation?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:23 PM   #13
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
It has a doctrine, but I think it is best to think about LDS doctrine as a normally distributed random variable with mean = mu and standard deviation equal to sigma. As long as you are within maybe one standard deviation of mu, then your belief is consistent with LDS doctrine. For some topics the sigma is large and for some topics sigma is very close to zero.
I am glad you pointed this out. At least now I know why I don't understand it. Who knew that may failure to excel in Trig and calculus would eventually imperil my eternal salvation? Now when my kids ask me why they will ever need advanced math, i will give them a copy of this post.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:23 PM   #14
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

These are stated as beliefs, not as immutable truths. Note that.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:24 PM   #15
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I am glad you pointed this out. At least now I know why I don't understand it. Who knew that may failure to excel in Trig and calculus would eventually imperil my eternal salvation. Now when my kids ask me why they will ever need advanced math, i will give them a copy of this post.
I am always glad when I can make things even less understandable than they were.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:30 PM   #16
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I am glad you pointed this out. At least now I know why I don't understand it. Who knew that may failure to excel in Trig and calculus would eventually imperil my eternal salvation? Now when my kids ask me why they will ever need advanced math, i will give them a copy of this post.
lol, most of Pelagius' religious stuff is more complex than my little brain can handle, but when people talk about the world in terms of mu and standards of deviations it's like a warm blanket.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:35 PM   #17
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Seattle I think you understand the difference between policy and doctrine, but are just trolling. And yes there have been more LDS changes than those I mentioned, hence my use of "such as."

But you cannot put teaching that unbaptized infants are put in limbo on the same plane as establishing a perpetual education fund or raising a missionary bar.

Today's change to Catholic doctrine is the equivalent of Mormons saying there no longer a division in the spirit world.

Policy and doctrine are distinguishable and you know it.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:39 PM   #18
ewth8tr

ewth8tr is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Seattle I think you understand the difference between policy and doctrine, but are just trolling. And yes there have been more LDS changes than those I mentioned, hence my use of "such as."

But you cannot put teaching that unbaptized infants are put in limbo on the same plane as establishing a perpetual education fund or raising a missionary bar.

Today's change to Catholic doctrine is the equivalent of Mormons saying there no longer a division in the spirit world.

Policy and doctrine are distinguishable and you know it.
Which raises a serious question that I have brought up with other posters before. You've stated before how much you do not like cougarboard and how you just troll there, but come here for thoughtful discussion. If this is the case, why do you continue to troll at times here? Not getting your fill on cougarboard anymore?
ewth8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:39 PM   #19
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Was that directed at me or Seattle? I haven't trolled on CB in ages.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:40 PM   #20
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Where, for example, is the part about baptism for the dead, endowments, etc.? Does that not touch and concern the plan of salvation?
The articles of faith are the LDS church core doctrines. Other doctrine like baptism for the dead....endowments are a subset of the core doctrines