cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2007, 08:14 PM   #21
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
So we don't tell him about shaving?
oh and I'll probably start shaving!
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 08:18 PM   #22
bYuPride

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
Finally the cycling forum wakes up and I'm out of town away from a computer.

A very nice choice for a bike. As far as pedals and shoes go, I personally use Shimano shoes with Carbon fiber soles. It is a very comfortable fit so far, as I've only used them for less than a month. As far as pedals go, I use Shimano Ultegra pedals, which are nearly identical to the LOOK Keo pedals. They are very comfortable and have variable float, which I think is very important. I think mine have about 5 degrees and I have no knee strain.

Some of my buddies have used both Speedplay and LOOK and prefer LOOK. I think they couldn't get over the "iceskate" feel of them and prefered the more stable feel of the LOOK. From what I've seen, I don;t think the speedplays will open you up for hotspots any more than most pedals will. Its not the size of the pedal that matters as much as the size of the platform and cleat attached to the shoe. Anything that uses a 3-bolt system should be fine. I started with a 2-bolt cleat and got hotfoot and numbness all the time.

Check out Performancebike.com on the cougarguard link (you're welcome Mike). I found my shoes and pedals for $100 each on sale, and also found a 10% off coupon.

Yes, get some good shorts. PI or Voler are my favorite. Voler is a bit cheaper.
I think my Nike cleats uses a 3 bolt system. I'm heading up to pearl izumi outlet in Park City today.. to get my bib, jersey and gloves. I still want a BYU jersey though!!
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:41 PM   #23
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bYuPride View Post
Ha ha! You guys are hilarious! I'm going to go with the bibs... I'm almost certain I'll look amazing. I'm thinking of just going bib and no jersey. I could probably pull it off! ha ha!

I decided to go with the speedplay pedals, but I got the zero... i hope i didn't make a mistake. I also went with nike cleats... also, I hope it wasn't a mistake! The speedplay zero was about $125, but I got them for less than $100, and I got the Nike cleats for $70 regularly $110. I thought I should have gone with shimano shoes, but the guy helping me said, I'd be fine with Nike's too... I'm not confident at all with either of these purchases! I thought I should just get the regulary speed play pedals with shimano shoes.... someone please help me feel more confident, but be honest I guess.....
I disagree with the zeros, as they have no play, which is the advantage of the speedplays. Now, your pedal stroke will be more precise and you won't pedal duckfooted with them, as I tend to do, but they can tend to stress the knees a bit.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:46 PM   #24
bYuPride

Quote:
I disagree with the zeros, as they have no play, which is the advantage of the speedplays. Now, your pedal stroke will be more precise and you won't pedal duckfooted with them, as I tend to do, but they can tend to stress the knees a bit.
i told the guy that! i said they'd have no play and he said, "well they have play, but it's not like the regular speedplay." I asked him if I got the zero's if I would have better technique further downt he road and then he said, "well yes and no...." then he started saying a bunch of crap and he didn't seem to be able to explain himself well.

am I right in thinking that I will have better technique with the zeros? avoiding the duckfooted pedal storke like you say?

"I'm on my beater bike"

Old 04-02-2007, 08:49 PM   #25
Archaea

Quote:
i told the guy that! i said they'd have no play and he said, "well they have play, but it's not like the regular speedplay." I asked him if I got the zero's if I would have better technique further downt he road and then he said, "well yes and no...." then he started saying a bunch of crap and he didn't seem to be able to explain himself well.

am I right in thinking that I will have better technique with the zeros? avoiding the duckfooted pedal storke like you say?
Well yes and no. That's the theory, but you can torque your body to overcome their advantages and you shouldn't contort your body to do things it doesn't want to do.

Greg Lemond, no cycling slouch, had imperfect techqnique with duck footed approach, and he used Looks.

I get the Titanium Speedplays, non zeros. If you don't want play, I don't understand the purpose of zeros. Perhaps you can advise us.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:52 PM   #26
bYuPride

Quote:
Well yes and no. That's the theory, but you can torque your body to overcome their advantages and you shouldn't contort your body to do things it doesn't want to do.

Greg Lemond, no cycling slouch, had imperfect techqnique with duck footed approach, and he used Looks.

I get the Titanium Speedplays, non zeros. If you don't want play, I don't understand the purpose of zeros. Perhaps you can advise us.
neither do I! that's the problem. all of my purchases have been recommendations from others... I feel like I should have purchased the regular speedplays vs. the zeros. oh well I guess... I'll have to make them work. they were more expensive than the regular speedplays too.. only by $10 though.

"I'm on my beater bike"

Old 04-02-2007, 08:54 PM   #27
Archaea

Quote:
neither do I! that's the problem. all of my purchases have been recommendations from others... I feel like I should have purchased the regular speedplays vs. the zeros. oh well I guess... I'll have to make them work. they were more expensive than the regular speedplays too.. only by $10 though.
The rest of your purchases sound spectacular though. You're on your way to becoming an addict for life. I didn't get to ride this morning, so I'm doing the trainer thing during the final championship game. I actually suffer depression like symptoms if I don't ride.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:25 AM   #28
bYuPride

Quote:
The rest of your purchases sound spectacular though. You're on your way to becoming an addict for life. I didn't get to ride this morning, so I'm doing the trainer thing during the final championship game. I actually suffer depression like symptoms if I don't ride.
So I finished up with all the 'first time' purchases. I went to pearl izumi tonight and picked up some gear. I got a mostly white podium jersey with black and gray on the sleeves. It's a really simple looking jersey which is what I wanted. I also bought a MicroSensor 3D Pro Bib. To be honest, the shorts felt more comfortable, but the sales person said that the bib would be more comfortable over time. (He must be working on commission) I think I'll just ride in the bib and go jersey-less. ha ha! Then I got the Pittards Carbon Leather Glove and some izumi socks.

I went on a short little ride tonight and it was a lot of fun! I definitely have a long way to go and a lot to learn, but this is something I'm really going to enjoy and wanted to thank all of you for the advice and help you've given me so far!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Old 04-03-2007, 03:31 AM   #29
Archaea

Quote:
So I finished up with all the 'first time' purchases. I went to pearl izumi tonight and picked up some gear. I got a mostly white podium jersey with black and gray on the sleeves. It's a really simple looking jersey which is what I wanted. I also bought a MicroSensor 3D Pro Bib. To be honest, the shorts felt more comfortable, but the sales person said that the bib would be more comfortable over time. (He must be working on commission) I think I'll just ride in the bib and go jersey-less. ha ha! Then I got the Pittards Carbon Leather Glove and some izumi socks.

I went on a short little ride tonight and it was a lot of fun! I definitely have a long way to go and a lot to learn, but this is something I'm really going to enjoy and wanted to thank all of you for the advice and help you've given me so far!
Congrats.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:44 AM   #30
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

More advice: if your pecker goes numb, that is bad.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote