cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Fitness and Wellness
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2007, 07:13 PM   #1
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I'm back!

Stress fracture is healed, went for my first run in a few weeks today. Did a nice 5 miler at a blazing 9:25/mile pace. My legs felt like crap the whole time and my brain was begging me to stop, but somehow I managed to clomp my way through it. It's amazing how fast you can lose the fitness that it took you months to build.

Anyway, I just read "Advanced Marathoning" by Pete Pfitzinger. I'm going to give his training plan a try with next year's marathons. He has you doing a lot of VO2 max and tempo kind of stuff. Luckily I've got a couple of months to build my endurance back up before I would need to start into that.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 08:01 PM   #2
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner Coug View Post
Stress fracture is healed, went for my first run in a few weeks today. Did a nice 5 miler at a blazing 9:25/mile pace. My legs felt like crap the whole time and my brain was begging me to stop, but somehow I managed to clomp my way through it. It's amazing how fast you can lose the fitness that it took you months to build.

Anyway, I just read "Advanced Marathoning" by Pete Pfitzinger. I'm going to give his training plan a try with next year's marathons. He has you doing a lot of VO2 max and tempo kind of stuff. Luckily I've got a couple of months to build my endurance back up before I would need to start into that.
5 miles is a long run for the first time back from a stress fracture. I'm trying to remember - was it your foot or lower leg? How did it feel?

Pfitzinger's approach sounds interesting. Can you post a little more on it when you get a chance?
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 09:00 PM   #3
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

That didn't take long! How's the pain after 5 miles?
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 09:39 PM   #4
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
5 miles is a long run for the first time back from a stress fracture. I'm trying to remember - was it your foot or lower leg? How did it feel?

Pfitzinger's approach sounds interesting. Can you post a little more on it when you get a chance?
It was in my ankle/shin area. It was a little sore afterwards this morning, but feels fine now.

I'll post some more about Pfitz when I get home tonight. It's a really good book. He gets into more of a scientific approach to running, and then applies it to the training. It's interesting stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
That didn't take long! How's the pain after 5 miles?
That's what I thought...but I went to the doc yesterday and he said it was good to go. It was a bit sore after, but doesn't hurt at all now.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote