cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2007, 10:28 PM   #51
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I think you've got a fundamental misunderstanding of the difference between the terrestrial and telestial glories.
What do we really know about the Ter and Tel? There are only a few verses out of thousands, and they aren't *really* all that concrete.

When you really get to it, there really isn't much we know about the infinite.

Quote:
The reason I "made fun" was because I think percentages are impossible to lay out.

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showpos...7&postcount=16

Why don't you "take the liberty" of marrying your guesses with the aforementioned scriptures?
Ok. So tell us about this "gate" mentioned in 2Ne 28. Is this one of those gates with tire shredders? Once you go in, you'll never get back out?
How about the good gate, can you exit it?

Is there a literal gate? Is this a metaphor? A metaphor for what? How do you reconcile this with DC19?
If you believe in DC 19, you need to ask these questions.

Last edited by Brian; 11-18-2007 at 10:33 PM.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 11:28 PM   #52
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
I think you've got a fundamental misunderstanding of the difference between the terrestrial and telestial glories.

The reason I "made fun" was because I think percentages are impossible to lay out.

Why don't you "take the liberty" of marrying your guesses with the aforementioned scriptures?
Tex-

If you really believe it is "impossible" to make a guess, then that would suggest you have 0% chance of knowing what the allocation of percentages would be.

If you have a 0% chance of knowing, it is just as ridiculous for you to criticize someone else's guess (on the basis that they can't be right because it doesn't comport to scripture) as it would be for you to make a guess.

You are once again trying to tear down everyone else's position while pretending to not take a position.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 11:36 PM   #53
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:

how about

Cel = innumerable * 1,000
terr = innumerable
tel = innumberable

which rounds to 100%, 0%, 0%
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 03:24 AM   #54
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
How do you know that?
32 And they who remain shall also be quickened; nevertheless, they shall return again to their own place, to enjoy that which they are willing to receive, because they were not willing to enjoy that which they might have received.
33 For what doth it profit a man if a gift is bestowed upon him, and he receive not the gift? Behold, he rejoices not in that which is given unto him, neither rejoices in him who is the giver of the gift.

http://scriptures.lds.org/en/dc/88/32,33#32

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 03:51 AM   #55
Tex

Quote:
Well, depending on how you define 'lying', most people lie constantly.
Note: I said 'most' as to exclude a few.
I think that's a pretty cynical view, but you're welcome to your opinion. As it pertains to the telestial kingdom, this is why the scriptures continue: "whosoever loves and makes a lie."

Quote:
What do we really know about the Ter and Tel? There are only a few verses out of thousands, and they aren't *really* all that concrete.

When you really get to it, there really isn't much we know about the infinite.
Hmmm. Isn't this the point I've been making all along?

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 11-19-2007, 03:54 AM   #56
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Tex-

If you really believe it is "impossible" to make a guess, then that would suggest you have 0% chance of knowing what the allocation of percentages would be.

If you have a 0% chance of knowing, it is just as ridiculous for you to criticize someone else's guess (on the basis that they can't be right because it doesn't comport to scripture) as it would be for you to make a guess.

You are once again trying to tear down everyone else's position while pretending to not take a position.
This is so silly, I'm trying to figure out if you're actually being serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
how about

Cel = innumerable * 1,000
terr = innumerable
tel = innumberable

which rounds to 100%, 0%, 0%
I'm pretty sure this isn't.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 11-19-2007, 04:08 AM   #57
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I'm pretty sure this isn't.

No less serious than you're being.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 04:24 AM   #58
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Good thoughts.
Do we know how "much" and "little" are defined? I probably assume I know what that means (economic, family, religious, etc situation). But as complicated as this world is, (imagine how many variables, what kind of equations would it take to model this earth) it's probably impossible to really know.
I don't think we do know. My point was just that everybody will be judged according to how they did at their own individualized "test". And I believe God will be much more merciful than we can possibly fathom.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 04:32 AM   #59
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
I don't think we do know. My point was just that everybody will be judged according to how they did at their own individualized "test". And I believe God will be much more merciful than we can possibly fathom.
That is a conventional slant to LDS theology, and it may contain some truth, but I sense it is incomplete.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:11 PM   #60
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
Agreed, good points. Yes, I think the mercy of God is one the greatest mysteries of godliness. And we will be astounded when we understand everything in totality and in proper context.

However, to God, whose dimensionality is >= 4, he can see all time, and already knows what will happen. So, I have a problem with the word "test", in the way we think of it. He already knows how we will answer the questions, because he just has to look forward in time. Just like we would walk over to the cupboard, open the door and examine that piece of 3-space. (However, technically, it is 4 space, but the time dimension is a monotonic increasing function of constant speed that we cannot control by adjusting the position and direction of our eyes (c: ).

That's one of the reasons I like to think of it as an experience.