cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2008, 04:05 PM   #1
SipiTau

SipiTau is on a distinguished road
Default $95 endzone seats....and the price went up?

Wow....I thought SC season tickets were high.
SipiTau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 04:18 PM   #2
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SipiTau View Post
Wow....I thought SC season tickets were high.
How much are SC season tickets?

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 04:23 PM   #3
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

I think it's great that season ticket prices are rising for BYU football (I assume that's what you're referring to in your post). Those people that have rights to renew seats for their lifetime and the next generation's lifetime certainly don't have a right to the seats at bargain basement prices. If BYU raises the prices up then hopefully more of those people won't renew within the necessary two years and thus relinquish the lifetime rights. That means guys like me can have a chance at purchasing those seats whereas those seats are now unavailable for any amount of money.

The hayseeds that want to take all of their 10 kids to the game, try to smuggle their lunch in the pockets of their overalls, and whine about wanting "affordable family entertainment" can cry me a river. It's time to bring the program to a new level and I say that as long as the stadium is full, BYU should charge whatever the market will bear for the tickets.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 04:45 PM   #4
SipiTau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
How much are SC season tickets?
Season tickets run $330.00; now if you want better seats, prepare to pony up at least $5,000 for a shot at anything decent. I've got a mix of seats in the donor and non donor sections. My donor seats have been moved twice in the last three seasons; I guess I need to write a bigger check...lol!
Old 04-08-2008, 04:45 PM   #5
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
I think it's great that season ticket prices are rising for BYU football (I assume that's what you're referring to in your post). Those people that have rights to renew seats for their lifetime and the next generation's lifetime certainly don't have a right to the seats at bargain basement prices. If BYU raises the prices up then hopefully more of those people won't renew within the necessary two years and thus relinquish the lifetime rights. That means guys like me can have a chance at purchasing those seats whereas those seats are now unavailable for any amount of money.

The hayseeds that want to take all of their 10 kids to the game, try to smuggle their lunch in the pockets of their overalls, and whine about wanting "affordable family entertainment" can cry me a river. It's time to bring the program to a new level and I say that as long as the stadium is full, BYU should charge whatever the market will bear for the tickets.
Agreed.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 04:51 PM   #6
SipiTau

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
How does the donor program work at BYU? Is it a one time donation or renews every year?
Old 04-08-2008, 07:02 PM   #7
Spaz

Quote:
How does the donor program work at BYU? Is it a one time donation or renews every year?
There's various levels of donor-ship. The bottom levels are yearly contributions, the highest being $1,000, for which you can get up to 6 seats.

Above that are the Legacy levels, which require a one-time contribution along with yearly donations.

Check out the details here.

I don't think $95 for season tickets in the end-zone is expensive at all.
You can take your family out to a game for under $100 easily (depending on size of family and frugality of concessions purchases). I've never found the ticket-price whiners to be all that compelling.

Additionally, I find the people who bring kids to athletic events, and then let the kids screw off on the bleachers, to be exceptionally annoying. I won't take my kid to a game until they can sit through an entire game on TV at home.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Old 04-08-2008, 07:11 PM   #8
SipiTau

Quote:
There's various levels of donor-ship. The bottom levels are yearly contributions, the highest being $1,000, for which you can get up to 6 seats.

Above that are the Legacy levels, which require a one-time contribution along with yearly donations.

You can take your family out to a game for under $100 easily (depending on size of family and frugality of concessions purchases). I've never found the ticket-price whiners to be all that compelling.

Additionally, I find the people who bring kids to athletic events, and then let the kids screw off on the bleachers, to be exceptionally annoying. I won't take my kid to a game until they can sit through an entire game on TV at home.
Thanks for the donor info.

I was mistakenly told by my buddy that it was PER game. I could understand the outrage if that were the case; $115 per season ticket is a great bargain...top 15 team, 2 year confrence win streak, BCS hopeful, what's to complain about?
Old 04-08-2008, 07:25 PM   #9
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:

What Spaz says is true. The only caveat is that both the Marriott Center and LES have what are commonly termed "stadium donors". These stadium donors coughed up money for the construction/expansion of facilities. One benefit they receive is the right to purchase season tickets for specific seats each year for the duration of their lifetime as well as the duration of their children's lifetimes without any further donation or contribution. They only need renew their tickets every other year in order to maintain this right.

The problem with the stadium donor program is that it was a spectacularly shortsighted thing for BYU to do. Now, BYU struggles to reward high-priced donors with good seats because many of the best seats are basically "owned" by stadium donors that don't make any ongoing contribution to the program other than buying their tickets each year. Big-shot Cougar Club guys who donate $5K or more each year sometimes can't get as good of seats as the stadium donor who donated $5K one time back in 1981. Basically, BYU sacrificed long-term valuable seat real estate in order for short-term gain to defray the cost of construction. A colossally short-sighted and overly-fiscally-conservative decision.

I don't begrudge those who are stadium donors the rights they have. They knew a good deal when they saw it. I sure wish my old man would have donated back in the early 80s when the stadium was expanded. However, I think the stadium donors should be paying what the tickets are really worth. Thus, I say jack the price up. $450 for a prime west-stands chair seat on the 50 yard line is still very cheap. That's only $75 a game. BYU should double those ticket prices.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:27 PM   #10
Spaz

Quote:
Thanks for the donor info.

I was mistakenly told by my buddy that it was PER game. I could understand the outrage if that were the case; $115 per season ticket is a great bargain...top 15 team, 2 year confrence win streak, BCS hopeful, what's to complain about?
lol - yeah, $95 per game would be ridiculous. Per season, it's reasonable.

BTW - the ticket prices for end-zone seats LAST year were $85, and sideline were $180. Those prices went UP TO $95 EZ & $200 Sideline for the '08 season.

I've already purchased my tickets. Obviously I don't have the seats assigned yet, but I expect to be around the 20-yard line.