cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2007, 09:09 PM   #21
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Would the removal of the Honor Code at BYU change BYU from being the most sober school in the nation? Would BYU all of a sudden turn into a pot smoking hippie school?

Why would the removal of the Honor Code change BYU's football program that dramatically? We'd probably start going after more non-LDS and we might be more successful with that recruiting since they wouldn't have to stress about the possibility of getting booted for a minor mistake.

I don't see how that would change our rating on the morality index (real or perceived) that significantly. We'll still have a ton of RM's and married players and all that.
Don't confuse the universe of all BYU students with the subpopulation of BYU athletes, nor assert that the behavior of both would be equally unaffected by the eradication of the Honor Code.

The existence of the Honor Code is in and of itself a filter that removes athletes that would likely get busted and in the news; with or without an Honor Code. To think that an absence of an Honor Code would not result in an increase in the number of public incidents is folly.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:11 PM   #22
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Would the removal of the Honor Code at BYU change BYU from being the most sober school in the nation? Would BYU all of a sudden turn into a pot smoking hippie school?

Why would the removal of the Honor Code change BYU's football program that dramatically? We'd probably start going after more non-LDS and we might be more successful with that recruiting since they wouldn't have to stress about the possibility of getting booted for a minor mistake.

I don't see how that would change our rating on the morality index (real or perceived) that significantly. We'll still have a ton of RM's and married players and all that.
You remove the ability to control through punishment. I would have a lot less trouble with the honor code if they would quit playing it up to be this wonderful moral code. It has some wonderful moral code in it, but it also has some real "profiling type " biases.

Last edited by BYU71; 11-26-2007 at 09:14 PM.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:12 PM   #23
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
You remove the ability to control through punishment. I would have a lot less trouble with the honor code if they would quit playing it up to me this wonderful moral code. It has some wonderful moral code in it, but it also has some real "profiling type " biases.
You and I see eye to eye on the Honor Code, may it rest in peace.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:20 PM   #24
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Don't confuse the universe of all BYU students with the subpopulation of BYU athletes, nor assert that the behavior of both would be equally unaffected by the eradication of the Honor Code.

The existence of the Honor Code is in and of itself a filter that removes athletes that would likely get busted and in the news; with or without an Honor Code. To think that an absence of an Honor Code would not result in an increase in the number of public incidents is folly.
Santos' type of argument reminds me of newspaper headlines that read, "Crime is down, despite high inmate population."

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:21 PM   #25
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post

Half our team are RM's. Another 40% are LDS. 10% non-LDS. History shows non-LDS are most likely to screw up on Honor Code, next are non-RM LDS, last are RM's. Guys are going to generally live the lives they're used to living no matter the existence of the Honor Code. Unless those percentages changed drastically, BYU would still continue to be known as a squeaky clean program.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:35 PM   #26
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Half our team are RM's. Another 40% are LDS. 10% non-LDS. History shows non-LDS are most likely to screw up on Honor Code, next are non-RM LDS, last are RM's. Guys are going to generally live the lives they're used to living no matter the existence of the Honor Code. Unless those percentages changed drastically, BYU would still continue to be known as a squeaky clean program.
I have had two singles ward Bishops who have told me if they reported everything that happened with their ward members, they would be spending half their time as Bishop reporting kids to the HC committee and appearing. We are not talking the big ones here. The staying over night, the light petting, who knows, maybe more and they didn't want to admit they even didn't report those things.

Anyway, when you have Bishops in singles wards thinking the system is a nuisance, well. Of course they can't say that publicly.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote