cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2008, 06:52 PM   #21
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I assume the GPS is integral to the phone. just like a GPS receiver. The US Govt. provides the GPS signal from their satellites. The phones tells the carrier where you are, or tells the applications where you are (i.e. maps).
If that is the case (and it sounds logical to me), then you can buy the ATT and unlock it for use on the TMO network. Your GPS should not be affected at all.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 07:27 PM   #22
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I think I want the contract, if I am getting a phone like these. Cheaper to break the contract.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 07:35 PM   #23
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

I would wait for the new iPhone. The new version fixes every hangup I had with the original. Although it is rumored that 3g, push email and few other items will just be a firmware update to the existing iPhone so you don't have to purchase a new one for that.

I have been using the original for 3-4 months now and I can't say enough about what a functional item it is. I love the storage capacity. It opens programs without a miss, unlike some of my HTC windows devices. It will not require a dedicated server, like Blackberry. I know people that love the blackberry, and after using multiple models, I can't figure out why everyone thinks they are so special.
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 08:51 PM   #24
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

I upgraded from a Treo 700w to an xv6800 last Saturday. Although the 6800 is a fantastic phone/pda, I can't stand having to dial on the screen. It lags, and if you have it on mute, you can't be sure your touch even registered. So I took it back and got the i760, since it has the dial pad on the front. I am very glad I did. The i760 is a sweet phone. My only complaint is the placement of the buttons on the right hand side, but I'm very glad I got it, and it's built like a tank.

http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/...-32177475.html

I asked the nice lady at Verizon to show me the new Q, and she said not only would she not show it to me, but there was no way she was going to let me buy it. Her opinion is that it's a piece of crap, and 50% of the people that get it hate it and bring it back.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 09:01 PM   #25
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not paying $400 for a phone. So no new iphone for me.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 09:27 PM   #26
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I'm not paying $400 for a phone. So no new iphone for me.
With AT&T subsidizing the new iPhone (there are rumors that iphone will be available to all carriers in a shorter period of time than expected, so AT&T is trying to lock as many people as possible before this happens) It will only be 199. So that could be affordable if you don't want to pay $400.
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote