cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2007, 02:42 PM   #21
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Of course, you could have everyone experience what I experienced which was better at curtailing any desire I ever had to masterbate. Have another 14 year old with red hair and freckles tell you about something cool he learned to do and start to demonstrate. That experience stopped me from even holding my wanger when I took a leak for a couple of years.
Thanks for that one BYU71. It gave me a good laugh to start the day.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 03:01 PM   #22
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
I think back on that "little factory" pamphlet that was handed to me when was I was a kid, and it pisses me off that I was fed such a load of horse shit. Frankly, what your son does with his "little factory" is none of your business. If he wants to employ double shifts around the clock, then more power to him. It's his factory; let him run it the way he wants.
lol, it is like your own sim city. I can see telling the guys, " Sorry you are going to have to stay on for the swing shift, I just got the victoria secrets catalog and you guys are in for the long haul." Good thing the workers never band together and form unions, it would be tragic if they ever took action and went on strike.
bigpiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 03:41 PM   #23
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpiney View Post
lol, it is like your own sim city. I can see telling the guys, " Sorry you are going to have to stay on for the swing shift, I just got the victoria secrets catalog and you guys are in for the long haul." Good thing the workers never band together and form unions, it would be tragic if they ever took action and went on strike.
I am sure BYU71 and Creeksters workers have been on strike for years.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:43 PM   #24
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpiney View Post
Perhaps this is a plausible explanation for why I uhhhh need "lil' help" in my situation. Where the hell is a strikebreaker when I need one?
Old 10-17-2007, 04:37 PM   #25
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn_stat View Post
So discussions of sexuality are off limits in a church setting? Non-sequiter seems to thinks it should be off limits for parents as well.
Don't misquote me. I was speaking of masturbation when I said it's none of the parent's business. A parent who doesn't talk with his/her children about sexuality is being down-right neglectful.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:32 PM   #26
minn_stat

minn_stat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
Don't misquote me. I was speaking of masturbation when I said it's none of the parent's business. A parent who doesn't talk with his/her children about sexuality is being down-right neglectful.
Sorry about that, non-sequitur. I knew I was taking a bit of liberty with your statement, but it seemed a bit artificial to have a boundary around that particular subject and yet still be open on the the broader subject with my children.

My children will choose to do as they wish on this, and I certainly will not be laying any massive guilt trip on them for it if they choose to keep the factory operating at a high capacity (my wife may be a different story). But I do consider the possibility of giving input within my proper bounds.
minn_stat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:42 PM   #27
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Can't this subject die?

It sounds like when sixth graders hear the word, "boobie" and giggle.

Die, die, die.........
Old 10-18-2007, 12:06 AM   #28
minn_stat

minn_stat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
I guess I wasn't very clear.

I don't want sex education taught in school. There I am not afraid of some "mullah" instructing the kids, but some liberal who thinks any kind of experimentation is OK.

I think I said I would like the church leaders, Bishops, SP's or whoever to instruct the parents on how to or the importance of instructing their children. I would call discussing the issue with the parents and how to teach their children a church setting, wouldn't you.

Now, as far as instructing the kids in a church setting other than the thou shall nots, you are right. I don't think church is a proper setting for sex education for children. I think that is a parental responsibility.

If you want to make sure it gets taught, tell the parents they will go blind if their kids masterbate.
I'm currently the 11-yr old scout leader in my ward, as well as the valiant 11/12 primary teacher. And so I'm now wondering how I would handle this subject in my calling.

I seem to have a pretty good relationship with the boys I work with. I'm not expecting them to bring up the subject, but it wouldn't shock me. If one of them broached the subject around the campfire one campout, I wouldn't run away from the subject. But I would be very cautious in what I said, sticking mostly to the clearly defined answers, or perhaps doing some reflective listening to help them process it themselves. I would also almost certainly ask them if they feel comfortable about talking to their parents about the subject, and encourage them to do so. I might even approach the dad afterwards, letting him know that his son is being inquisitive, and tell him he might want to broach the subject with him.

If I was asked to teach a lesson on the law of chastity (which I have had to do as a Gospel Doctrine teacher, but not with any youth), I would not hesitate to do so. However, my teaching style is that I try to relate the key principles being taught to their own lives, to make it more relevant and more interesting. Maybe talking about situations they might see in school, when hanging out with friends, etc. In this case, that might open a can of worms that I'm not sure I would want to have open. I might consider asking one parent of each child to attend, center the lesson on a discussion on chastity with the parents, and use it as an opportunity to encourage a continued discussion after church. (Obviously, I would forewarn the parents).

Again, in general principle, I agree with you to a fair degree, but it seems you've drawn a pretty clear line between the law of chastity and sex education, and I'm not so sure it is always so clear. And I definitely don't want church leaders to feel they have to run away from the subject, because who might my child turn to then? Hopefully me, but I can see that even if we have a good relationship, there might be questions/concerns they just don't want to come to me on.
minn_stat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 12:39 AM   #29
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Can't this subject die?

It sounds like when sixth graders hear the word, "boobie" and giggle.

Die, die, die.........
Mothers who know raise children who don't masturbate.
marsupial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 12:46 AM   #30
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
With Google, you can find just about anything.

I like the message this little (fake) ad sends: It doesn't say that it's sinful to masturbate, but who really hates kittens enough to do it?
So, you're admitting that you googled "masturbation"? I don't know if it's better or worse to admit you googled "kitten".

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote