cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2009, 02:43 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I am going out on a limb here...

and predicting a BYU loss in the NCAA tournament.

BYU has 11 wins in its illustrious history in this tournament. I see no reason why it should add another. That would be riches, too great.

Incidentally I had a dream last night that BYU went out to a huge lead against A&M in the first half. But I don't know how the game ended.

I can't make any real commentary on the game, due to not having seen A&M play, and only watching BYU play a couple of games. But I would think the main difference here in this game is that Fredette is now an experienced starter. We will expect the usual ill-advised shots from Tavernari, the disappearing act from Cummard, the bone-headed pussy-play from Miles, etc. But if Fredette can do something, who knows.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 03:46 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

BYU has 11 wins in its illustrious history in this tournament. I see no reason why it should add another. That would be riches, too great.

Incidentally I had a dream last night that BYU went out to a huge lead against A&M in the first half. But I don't know how the game ended.

I can't make any real commentary on the game, due to not having seen A&M play, and only watching BYU play a couple of games. But I would think the main difference here in this game is that Fredette is now an experienced starter. We will expect the usual ill-advised shots from Tavernari, the disappearing act from Cummard, the bone-headed pussy-play from Miles, etc. But if Fredette can do something, who knows.
That's why I think next year, with another year of Fredette, BYU stands a chance of winning something in the Tourney. But this year, Tav and Cummard have been disappearing.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:46 PM   #3
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I work with A&M fans and none of them think their team will win this time. They're bummed out about the rematch but generally they think their team sucks and are underachievers.

Last edited by BlueK; 03-17-2009 at 05:57 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:02 PM   #4
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
I work with A&M fans and none of them think their team will win this time. They're bummed out about the rematch but generally they think their team sucks and are underachievers.
For once, I hope they're right.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:05 PM   #5
BlueK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
For once, I hope they're right.
totally different attitude than last year. They are really bummed on their team right now, for whatever reason. There is one common opponent. Tulsa beat A&M at A&M by 11 points.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:11 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

A&M has played in the last 3 tourneys and has won in the first round each time.

BYU's last win was 1993?

We may soon reach the point that the players that take the court for BYU won't have been born the last time BYU won in the tourney.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:13 PM   #7
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
totally different attitude than last year. They are really bummed on their team right now, for whatever reason. There is one common opponent. Tulsa beat A&M at A&M by 11 points.
Tournament basketball doesn't favor what BYU does well. We don't have a good half court offense and most teams just slow it down to break our rhythm.

On the flip side, in most games, Rose has been able to coach the kids to make adjustments during half time.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:23 PM   #8
BlueK

Quote:

BYU's last win was 1993?

We may soon reach the point that the players that take the court for BYU won't have been born the last time BYU won in the tourney.
The same players are playing today? A&M had to replace four starters. Mike, I like you, but you shouldn't have admitted you haven't seen hardly any games.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:26 PM   #9
Archaea

Quote:

BYU's last win was 1993?

That's weird, just plain weird. We're not Morgan State, where an appearance is once every fifty years, (in Morgan State's instance, never before), but one of the Tourney regulars as it were.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:39 PM   #10
BlueK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
That's weird, just plain weird. We're not Morgan State, where an appearance is once every fifty years, (in Morgan State's instance, never before), but one of the Tourney regulars as it were.
It's six losses in a row, is what it is. That's awful, but it's only slightly worse than our bowl game losing streak was before 2006. That came to an end and so will this one soon. It can't last forever. Fortunately we also aren't Northwestern with zero NCAA appearances or Nebraska or San Diego State who have never won an NCAA tournament game. Losing in the tournament sucks, but for some perspective, BYU still isn't the worst place in the world for basketball. The great Jerry Tarkanian saw fewer NCAA tournaments at Fresno State than Steve Cleveland did at BYU in roughly the same number of seasons. And Tarkanian didn't have to build a program from scratch.

Last edited by BlueK; 03-18-2009 at 03:00 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote