cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2008, 02:54 AM   #1
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road
Default Nothing could make me happier

A giant population of lowland Gorillas found.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/05/sc...05apes.html?hp

I wish this had remained secret. Most precious resources do best when left undiscovered.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12

Last edited by Levin; 08-05-2008 at 03:02 AM.
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:07 AM   #2
landpoke

landpoke is on a distinguished road

Awesome! I've had a hankering for a pair of gorilla skin boots since I don't know when.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:11 AM   #3
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
A giant population of lowland Gorillas found.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/05/sc...05apes.html?hp

I wish this had remained secret. Most precious resources do best when left undiscovered.
Good to see there are some in the wild. Honest.

Let's see how happy you are - would you trade an Obama win in November for 500,000 western lowland gorillas?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:21 AM   #4
Levin

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Good to see there are some in the wild. Honest.

Let's see how happy you are - would you trade an Obama win in November for 500,000 western lowland gorillas?
No. The addition of 125,000 gorillas is sufficient to stabilize the population. We don't need an additional 500,000 of that one species as much as we need a President who will seek to protect the rest of the endangered.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Old 08-05-2008, 03:21 AM   #5
Levin

Quote:
Originally Posted by landpoke View Post
Awesome! I've had a hankering for a pair of gorilla skin boots since I don't know when.
Does the blood on your hands ever wash off?
Old 08-05-2008, 03:25 AM   #6
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
No. The addition of 125,000 gorillas is sufficient to stabilize the population. We don't need an additional 500,000 of that one species as much as we need a President who will seek to protect the rest of the endangered.
So, you are willing to sell out.

You're just like the rest of us.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:28 AM   #7
Levin

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
So, you are willing to sell out.

You're just like the rest of us.
There's no selling out. I'd be selling the entire environment out if I chose 500,000 lowland gorillas and got another Republican president as a result.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:32 AM   #8
landpoke

landpoke is on a distinguished road

In all seriousness, does this give you pause at all with regard to other doomsday proclamations of imminent collapse? Does it make you question at all the methodologies by which animal populations are determined? As the article states, twenty years ago it was etched in stone that there were less than 100,000 lowland gorillas and all of a sudden, after someone goes and actually looks, there's at least twice that number.

I seriously question a lot of the "science" today as it consists of a lot of extrapolation based on cursory field checks.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:39 AM   #9
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I wish this had remained secret.
So why are you all blabbling it all over the internet? Learn to keep a secret man.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:42 AM   #10
Levin

Quote:
Originally Posted by landpoke View Post
In all seriousness, does this give you pause at all with regard to other doomsday proclamations of imminent collapse? Does it make you question at all the methodologies by which animal populations are determined? As the article states, twenty years ago it was etched in stone that there were less than 100,000 lowland gorillas and all of a sudden, after someone goes and actually looks, there's at least twice that number.

I seriously question a lot of the "science" today as it consists of a lot of extrapolation based on cursory field checks.
It's all about what will get the most behavior effects. I'll take the lower-end guesses so that human behavior is shaped accordingly. Humans always will go as far as they can, and so by painting a darker picture, conservationists get more behavioral effects than they would otherwise.

The optimist in me wants to agree with you that conservationists choose a methodology that will reach a gloomier result by design. Not sure that's the case with most animal population counts. People like you won't let us.

It's an eternal tug-of-war. We say, "only 50 left, preserve habitat." You say, "BS, there's a hundred, so 1/2 of that habitat is just begging to be raped. Let me at her."