cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2008, 09:05 PM   #21
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
In addition to what Creekster has said, there are undoubtedly countless revelations, visions, etc. "behind the scenes" which most members are not privy to, but we can see the byproduct of them in what teachings are emphasized (proclamation on the family, paying off your house now if you can, etc.), programs instituted (mini-temples, perpetual education fund, etc.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
That's only if you consider "prophecy" to consist of just "prediction of the future." It doesn't.

The LDS Bible Dictionary defines a prophet as someone who would "denounce sin and foretell its punishment, and to redress, so far as he could, both public and private wrongs," to be "a preacher of righteousness" who would "restore that faith and remove false views about the character of God."

Or, if you prefer Webster, some alternative definitions of prophesy include "to utter by or as if by divine inspiration" and "to give instruction in religious matters."

By all these definitions, Hinckley was most certainly a prophet.

http://scriptures.lds.org/en/bd/p/61
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/prophesy
These are some interesting points and I'll have to take some time and consider them thoughtfully.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:08 PM   #22
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
Oh, I have all sorts of reasons for a lack of faith aside from this one.

Two or three generations ago, whenever someone mentioned "The Prophet" in LDS circles, it meant Joseph Smith. Now, it refers to whoever is in charge of the church. This, in my opinion, is a part of the cult of personality that has emerged surrounding the LDS leader and represents a marked divergence from earlier LDS protocol established under Joseph Smith.

In Joseph Smith's own words:

[from Roberts, History of the Church, vol. 5, pg. 265]
"This morning, I read German, and visited with a brother and sister from Michigan, who thought that "a prophet is always a prophet;" but I told them that a prophet was a prophet only when he was acting as such."

Today, however, it seems that a Prophet is always a Prophet - even when he's just a CEO.
Now you seem to be mixing issues just to have some fun. Whether a prophet always speaks in that capacity is different from whether a prophet is not a prophet becasue he too infrequently (if at all) provides what you might think is a prophetic utterance.

I also have no doubt that you have other reasons not to believe, as they are innumerable, but I also know you are bright enough not to hang you're hat on this one, as it simply isn't a legitimate criticism apart from playing with labels.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:09 PM   #23
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
These are some interesting points and I'll have to take some time and consider them thoughtfully.

Throw in prayerfully and you've got a deal.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:12 PM   #24
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

The word "Prophet" come from the Greek prophemi (as does the word "professor"). I don't think "prophet" is one who foretells, but one who speaks out. The term "prophet" thus implies that as a Prophet of God, the man speaks out in God's behalf. In this respect, a "prophecy" is simply the message from God through his Prophet.

That's not to say that a prophecy cannot foretell an event, if God should so wish. But when I look at the words of a man who claims to be a prophet, I'm going to look for what God wants me to know, not merely a prediction of the future.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:12 PM   #25
Solon

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Now you seem to be mixing issues just to have some fun. Whether a prophet always speaks in that capacity is different from whether a prophet is not a prophet becasue he too infrequently (if at all) provides what you might think is a prophetic utterance.

I also have no doubt that you have other reasons not to believe, as they are innumerable, but I also know you are bright enough not to hang you're hat on this one, as it simply isn't a legitimate criticism apart from playing with labels.
I'm not funning here - "prophet" is not an official office to me (like apostle, bishop, etc.), and at the moment a person is moved to prophesy, he/she is a prophet. I feel that the modern LDS church has inappropriately mixed "prophet" and "president." Just my opinion, I know, but I think it lends undue weight to the leaders' every action when we consider them in this way.

But, as I posted elsewhere on this thread, I have some interesting stuff to consider now on this issue. So, thanks. Sincerely.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:18 PM   #26
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm not funning here - "prophet" is not an official office to me (like apostle, bishop, etc.), and at the moment a person is moved to prophesy, he/she is a prophet. I feel that the modern LDS church has inappropriately mixed "prophet" and "president." Just my opinion, I know, but I think it lends undue weight to the leaders' every action when we consider them in this way.

But, as I posted elsewhere on this thread, I have some interesting stuff to consider now on this issue. So, thanks. Sincerely.
Interesting that you should say that ... that's the position of the Church of Christ (Temple Lot), also known as the Hedrickites, in Independence. I've sat down with one of their Twelve Apostles, William Sheldon who runs their little visitors center, more than once and it's something he insists upon.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 09:25 PM   #27
FMCoug

FMCoug

This is turning into a typical CG religion thread but this would be my list of significant things that I consider prophetic counsel ... regardless of how they were delivered:

1. The talk in conference about provident living, being prepared, get out of debt (including mortgage incidentally).

2. The PEF

3. The Read the Book of Mormon by the end of year program. This had great influence on a lot of lives.

That's just a few. I'm sure there are more.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:32 PM   #28
Solon

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
The word "Prophet" come from the Greek prophemi (as does the word "professor"). I don't think "prophet" is one who foretells, but one who speaks out. The term "prophet" thus implies that as a Prophet of God, the man speaks out in God's behalf. In this respect, a "prophecy" is simply the message from God through his Prophet.

That's not to say that a prophecy cannot foretell an event, if God should so wish. But when I look at the words of a man who claims to be a prophet, I'm going to look for what God wants me to know, not merely a prediction of the future.
That's fine if you want to base the definition on the word's etymology, and your point is basically sound in that prophets speak for God, but to the ancient Greeks a προφήτης interpreted and expounded oracles - more often than not associated with future events.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:06 PM   #29
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
That's fine if you want to base the definition on the word's etymology, and your point is basically sound in that prophets speak for God, but to the ancient Greeks a προφήτης interpreted and expounded oracles - more often than not associated with future events.
But the fact that they spoke about future events isn't what made them a προφήτης-- it's the fact that they spoke on behalf of the gods.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:13 PM   #30
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
But the fact that they spoke about future events isn't what made them a προφήτης-- it's the fact that they spoke on behalf of the gods.
Sometimes when I read y'alls posts I think Mike has put on a profanity filter.

"But the fact that they spoke about future events isn't what made them a προφήτηςing son of a προφήτης-- it's the fact that they spoke on behalf of the προφήτηςing gods."

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote