cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2007, 07:49 PM   #21
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

While I appreciate the time you took to type that, I think that's a very poor analogy.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 07:53 PM   #22
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
While I appreciate the time you took to type that, I think that's a very poor analogy.
Why?

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 07:53 PM   #23
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
Was I complicit in his continued smoking? Or did I just recognize that other things needed to happen within him before his body was in a position to cut off the nicotine completely?
Oh come now, SoCal. Certainly you can do better than that. Just for fun:

Let's say you are the CEO of a major corporation. You have a senior VP on your executive team who constantly makes racist comments. He makes them to you in private, to his colleagues (some of whom are black), and to his subordinates. He also discriminates in his hiring and compensation practices.

Occasionally he asks you if you're okay with his comments. He even asks you if he should stop making them, or if he should change. You tell him no, to go right ahead as usual.

Were you complicit in his racism?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 07:57 PM   #24
SoCalCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Oh come now, SoCal. Certainly you can do better than that. Just for fun:

Let's say you are the CEO of a major corporation. You have a senior VP on your executive team who constantly makes racist comments. He makes them to you in private, to his colleagues (some of whom are black), and to his subordinates. He also discriminates in his hiring and compensation practices.

Occasionally he asks you if you're okay with his comments. He even asks you if he should stop making them, or if he should change. You tell him no, to go right ahead as usual.

Were you complicit in his racism?
Yes. Are you saying God's our CEO?

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
Old 12-11-2007, 07:58 PM   #25
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
According to the DOM book, the Church Architect says that DOM told him one day that had been praying about lifting the ban on blacks and that God told him it wasn't going to happen in his lifetime.

This is the only evidence that "God was compicit in continuing it for multiple decades."

If the chruch architect told the truth and DOM told the chruch architect the full story, then Tex is right.

It is amazing the Tex camp of church defenders always bash those of us who question regarding the second hand nature of our sources, yet turn to such sources themselves when convenient.

BTW, I tend to believe that the chruch architect was making it up or getting it wrong.
This account is further contradicted by the fact that late in his presidency, there is strong evidence that DOM came to believe that the ban was policy and not doctrine, thereby not requiring a revelation to overturn.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:00 PM   #26
Tex

Quote:
Yes. Are you saying God's our CEO?
For the purposes of this analogy, yes.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 12-11-2007, 08:01 PM   #27
SoCalCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
For the purposes of this analogy, yes.
I answered "Yes."

You don't really intend to address my analogy, do you?

Old 12-11-2007, 08:01 PM   #28
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Let's say I have a friend who was a smoker for 20 years. He becomes interested in joining the church, and I participate in the lessons with the missionaries. We discuss the word of wisdom with him, and he learns that it is a commandment not to smoke. He asks me to help him quit smoking.

Do I tell him, "Okay, stop smoking now"? He's addicted and it's very difficult to quit, of course. So I tell him he's not likely to stop overnight, but I would help him to reduce his smoking gradually, and support him in that, until several weeks or months later, he's in a position to stop smoking entirely, thus bringing himself in compliance with the word of wisdom.

Was I complicit in his continued smoking? Or did I just recognize that other things needed to happen within him before his body was in a position to cut off the nicotine completely?
I find this analogy pretty reasonable.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 08:02 PM   #29
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
This account is further contradicted by the fact that late in his presidency, there is strong evidence that DOM came to believe that the ban was policy and not doctrine, thereby not requiring a revelation to overturn.
Which evidence are you refering to? And why would a policy not still be set by revelation?

I understand this distinction some folks like to draw between "doctrine" and "policy" such that "doctrine" is supposedly unchangeable, while "policy" is not. But I think it's a poor distinction.

The Perpetual Education Fund is not doctrine, but I guarantee it was given by revelation. "Thou shalt not kill" is doctrine, but has all kinds of little asterisks when it comes to application.

I don't know how anyone can read that 4th chapter in DOM, and come away thinking that any of the prophets or prophets-to-be mentioned therein thought anything other than a revelation was required.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young

Last edited by Tex; 12-11-2007 at 08:05 PM.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:03 PM   #30
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

I changed my mind: as I look back at how the Savior gradually phased in the Higher Law to replace the Mosaic Law, I can see the merit to SoCalCoug's analogy.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote