cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2006, 04:54 AM   #1
El Guapo

El Guapo is on a distinguished road
Default Bradley to miss season

This sucks. I was really looking forward to seeing him on the field this fall. Knee injuries are particularly scary because they seem to reoccur so frequently. Here's to hoping the secondary can do a decent job without him.
El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 05:29 AM   #2
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guapo
This sucks. I was really looking forward to seeing him on the field this fall. Knee injuries are particularly scary because they seem to reoccur so frequently. Here's to hoping the secondary can do a decent job without him.
He was a likely Redshirt.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:31 AM   #3
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Injuries are never a good thing. Here's to a quick and more importantly, a full recovery.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 01:35 PM   #4
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Never a good thing... DB is one position where we need EVERYBODY healthy so we can really see who the best guys are and get those guys on the field together.

While Bradley was a likely redshirt anyways, don't overestimate the benefit of having a guy healthy during his redshirt year. It gives more time to work on technique, and they get better because they go against the first team offense every day in practice. Especially coming off of a mission, getting injured and having to redshirt instead of having a year to gain your football skills back is a really big blow.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 02:19 PM   #5
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guapo
I blew my knee out within a few months of coming home from a mission and never recovered. Of course I didn't get the kind of medical attention a BYU athlete gets.

They say the legs are the last thing that comes back for an RM. I wonder if the mission factor is a contributor to the large number of injuries we've experienced the last few years?
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 03:16 PM   #6
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I am more concerned about his recovery

than him playing this year. Like many I wanted to see him play, but I am one who believes that is always best for RMs to redshirt their first year back. I believe too many kids from BYU and the U end up with lingering injuries because they started playing major college football before their bodies were physically ready. Recently, it seems that BYU is getting better with the issue as it appears more and more RMs are returning and stepping back into playing without issues - Dallas Reynolds, Bryan Kehl, David Nixon and Fui are a few that pop into my mind. Perhaps the sports medicine and strength and conditioning folks have developed some limited workout plans that allow these kids to keep some level of physical fitness while serving their missions.

Back to Brandon, given the paucity of legitimate returning CBs that we know have the ability to play at this level, it hurts. Perhaps a healthy Kayle Buchanon will be good, but the question is how long can Kayle stay healthy and then if he does is a healthy Kayle really a legitimate D1-A CB? Justin Robinson will always be limited by his dimunitive stature. Perhaps Saulsberry will be an upgrade, but until the games start hope springs eternal with BYU defense. If Criddle is the answer why was he not recruited out of HS? Brandon Howard is reported to have shown improvement in spring but he is still a RS freshman, on the small size and a huge question mark. I don't know if Brandon would have been better, the word was that he was the most physically gifted in the bunch, but time will.

In a perfect world Kayle, Andre and Justin will all stay healthy this year and get the majority of the reps. I think Brandon Howard and Ben Criddle will see time and I hope Ben is adequate and that Brandon shows that potential some saw in Spring Ball. The player I hope that really steps up is Robbie Buckner, from what I have read he is the second most physically gifted of the bunch behind Brandon Bradley. I hope Buckner can step up and provide another decent option as a reserve and if these six guys can enjoy relative good health then Tico Pringle can redshirt.

I believe if BYU stays healthy the CBs will be average, if they experience injuries they will be below average. I expect Kayle to get hurt and would be happy if there is only one more player who endures lingering or a season ending injury this year. If Saulsberry and Robinson avoid injuries I think the Y will be OK. Not good by a long shot, but OK. I think there is hope for next year and beyond though.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:29 PM   #7
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96
...If Criddle is the answer why was he not recruited out of HS?

Why was Alex Smith not highly recruited? Why did Cameron Jensen and Johnny Harline not get any D1 love out of high school? What about Todd Watkins, how come he had to go the JC route?

Sometimes players slip through the cracks.

FWIW, Criddle looked like the best CB on the roster last fall when he finally started to come around (this was after mid season, wasting his RS year would have been dumb at that point). Granted, Buchannon wasn't 100% healthy and I think that he was the player who flashed the most potential...

It will be interesting to see what happens though.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 03:53 PM   #8
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I think Criddle went to a JC

before he came to the Y. That is what I meant, he was not recruited out of JC.

The facts of BYU's CBs are this..other than Andre Saulsberry and Robbie Buckner, assuming Robbie breaks into the 3 deep, not one of the other CBs ever had any type of D1-A scholarship offers. Buchanon and Criddle are both LDS walk ons, Robinson and Howard were both ignored. I think there is hope with Howard if he can get any weight onto his frame. While BH is not a giant, if he can put on 10 lbs by his junior year he will be at about average D1-A CB size, Robinson will always be limited by his size. By my count that means BYU is planning to play up to 4 guys this year that are fall through the crack types and one of those will be a freshman. I think that is expecting a lot to hope all will be solid.

I think with experience fall through the cracks guys can be solid players by their senior year. I doubt any become stars, but they can certainly at least be average. I am hoping for average this year. I think above average is a good goal for next year.