cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2006, 05:10 PM   #1
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road
Default The best coaching hire of 2005

(for BYU, of course) IMHO, was Brandon Doman.

So far, Doman has shown that he's a pretty dang good coach, IMO. He knows how to teach solid mechanics. He is very good at making the right reads. He relates very well to the college aged athletes. He has also shown to be a VERY good recruiter.

I am a HUGE fan of the Doman hire. He always seems to have a great attitude, and is very pleasant to be around. IMO, he's the type of coach that should be representing BYU.

Of all the moves that Bronco has made as far as the coaching staff is concerned, I think so far the hire of Brandon Doman has been the best. (although keeping Lance Reynolds was also a very very good move too)
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 10:58 PM   #2
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

You hit the nail on the head with that one. The one gripe that I have with him is that he is having very high profile success. If he continues to do such a good job, then he might not be around for too long. After all, he is unlikely to move into a higher profile, higher paying position anytime soon in Provo. But that is not really a gripe is it. I think he has obviously shown that he was a great hire.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 02:33 AM   #3
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

It's better to have a coach that other schools want than one that other schools want nothing to do with.

It doesn't help to make it any better when they do leave, mind you.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 04:30 AM   #4
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Well said. I was being facetious, but the recruiting front will raise Doman's profile very quickly. My bet is that he does not stay around long unless he really is a Cougar homer.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 02:46 PM   #5
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad
Well said. I was being facetious, but the recruiting front will raise Doman's profile very quickly. My bet is that he does not stay around long unless he really is a Cougar homer.
Doman is tried and true BYU blue. His brothers all played there, he is a legend at the Y... Doman is about as much of a BYU homer as they come. Honestly, I don't know how long Anae will be around, but I think that Bronco will do about everything that he can to keep Doman at the Y. He is one guy who if Bronco were to fail as a head coach that I think could work himself on the short list of guys who could take over. I was THAT impressed with him.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote