cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2008, 10:02 PM   #21
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickomatic View Post
But I would. The mobs were looking for any excuse. Saying one thing was the reason he was killed is a bit too simplifying.
You're right. It was also Joseph Smith's anger at the Expositor talking about Joseph's polygamy.

Of course, if there had never been polygamy, there would have been nothing to "expose", and therefore less likely that JS would have destroyed the press.

One of the lessons of the whole thing is that when someone is out for your scalp, don't do anything that gives them license over you.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:02 PM   #22
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
You're right. It was also Joseph Smith's anger at the Expositor talking about Joseph's polygamy.

Of course, if there had never been polygamy, there would have been nothing to "expose", and therefore less likely that JS would have destroyed the press.

One of the lessons of the whole thing is that when someone is out for your scalp, don't do anything that gives them license over you.
Face it, if God and Jesus hadn't intruded on Joseph Smith's life, he might even be alive today.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:03 PM   #23
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Face it, if God and Jesus hadn't intruded on Joseph Smith's life, he might even be alive today.
Like anybody could know that.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:06 PM   #24
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Incidentally, I heard lots of stories about Carthage, but never once was I told growing up about the Nauvoo Expositor's destruction.

I think that's why its mention touches so many nerves. We realize that we were never told the whole story. We were never told about Joseph marrying other men's wives, we were never told that Joseph was accused by William Law of trying to seduce his wife, thus leading to his disaffilation and starting the Nauvoo Expositor.

It's much more messy than we were ever told.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:08 PM   #25
Rickomatic

Rickomatic

Do you want history to be accurate as well?

We would have no heroes like George Washington and Abraham Lincoln if you knew all of the truth.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."

Mark Twain
Rickomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:09 PM   #26
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Incidentally, I heard lots of stories about Carthage, but never once was I told growing up about the Nauvoo Expositor's destruction.

I think that's why its mention touches so many nerves. We realize that we were never told the whole story. We were never told about Joseph marrying other men's wives, we were never told that Joseph was accused by William Law of trying to seduce his wife, thus leading to his disaffilation and starting the Nauvoo Expositor.

There are good people, especially those not all that well educated who don't understand all the virtues of free speech and press. Heck, I'd say there are probably people who post on here who aren't all that high on the idea of a free press but they live with it because the founding fathers wrote the first amendment. The first amendment would not pass today.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:12 PM   #27
Rickomatic

Rickomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
There are good people, especially those not all that well educated who don't understand all the virtues of free speech and press. Heck, I'd say there are probably people who post on here who aren't all that high on the idea of a free press but they live with it because the founding fathers wrote the first amendment. The first amendment would not pass today.

First amendment, heck what about the second? We can't even agree what it says or means.

Mark Twain
Old 08-28-2008, 10:12 PM   #28
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Well, I remember that being part of the story I heard in my teen years. Are you talking about keeping Primary aged children in the dark? Which should we spring on them first, the TRUTH ABOUT SANTA CLAUS or the Mormon Expositor story?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:13 PM   #29
Rickomatic

Rickomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Well, I remember that being part of the story I heard in my teen years. Are you talking about keeping Primary aged children in the dark? Which should we spring on them first, the TRUTH ABOUT SANTA CLAUS or the Mormon Expositor story?

I say the first should be the Easter Bunny. I always thought that was a farce.

Mark Twain
Old 08-28-2008, 10:15 PM   #30
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickomatic View Post
First amendment, heck what about the second? We can't even agree what it says or means.
basically none of the bill of rights would pass today and there are every day examples of the government trying to ignore pretty much all of them. The second amendment is possibly the best example of that. The current administration doesn't like the 4th or 5th too much, but they are ok with the 2nd and haven't bothered the 1st for the most part. Liberals tend to have a problem with religion in the first, as well as the entire second, but they have a slightly better record with the 4th and 5th.

Last edited by BlueK; 08-28-2008 at 10:17 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote