cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2006, 02:32 PM   #1
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default I just keep getting more optimistic as the season approaches!

The D has some big holes, but it had even bigger holes last year, and BYU still had a winning season and the opportunity to win at least 3 more games if the ball bounced a bit differently on just one play.

The offense will be better, the defense will be better. The opponents are not as challenging. To me, that equals a pretty darn good season.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 02:40 PM   #2
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyacoug
The D has some big holes, but it had even bigger holes last year, and BYU still had a winning season...
I thought they went 6-6? Am I wrong? Is 6-6 a winning season?
Old 06-06-2006, 02:43 PM   #3
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death
I thought they went 6-6? Am I wrong? Is 6-6 a winning season?
True if you include the bowl game. They had a winning season which qualified them for the bowl, which they lost (to a very good Cal team).
Old 06-06-2006, 02:55 PM   #4
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

The offense will be better, the defense will be better. The opponents are not as challenging. To me, that equals a pretty darn good season.
I don't think the defense will be better. In fact with the changes in schemes and the deficiencies in personnel I think the defense will be significantly worse this year. I hope the offense is better in the form of efficiency and time management. This team is built for a ball control offense that has the ability to throw the ball around, if they are relying on their offense to score 40 a game to win, they will lose a few more games than anticipated.

I think a 7 win season will be very good, but think if they don't hit the 8 win threshold it will be a fairly disappointing season.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 03:19 PM   #5
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11
I don't think the defense will be better. In fact with the changes in schemes and the deficiencies in personnel I think the defense will be significantly worse this year. I hope the offense is better in the form of efficiency and time management. This team is built for a ball control offense that has the ability to throw the ball around, if they are relying on their offense to score 40 a game to win, they will lose a few more games than anticipated.

I think a 7 win season will be very good, but think if they don't hit the 8 win threshold it will be a fairly disappointing season.

I think the scheme will be a benefit. BYU has outstanding linebackers right now. We want them to be the focus of the defense. While I have yet to see the secondary, I have a hard time thinking they could possibly be any worse than they were last year. BYU added new talent, including JC talent, so I am optimistic that that group will improve as well. As for the Dline, there are substantial concerns. I think the group will perform well at the 1-deep, but if there are any injuries, the Dline could be hurting. Even with all of that, I have a hard time seeing how they will be worse than last year, let alone substantially worse.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:26 PM   #6
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

I must confess that having ridden the roller coaster of pre-season optimism followed by season disappointment and post-season angst that i have been unable to get too exzcited this year. I think it is some sort of self=preservation technique. I just can't get into the nitty gritty of personel and schemes, etc.

I do know that I wouold be very happy with 8 wins and would probabyl be satisfied with 7 wins.

Go cougs, please?
Old 06-06-2006, 03:29 PM   #7
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I think the scheme will be a benefit. BYU has outstanding linebackers right now. We want them to be the focus of the defense. While I have yet to see the secondary, I have a hard time thinking they could possibly be any worse than they were last year. BYU added new talent, including JC talent, so I am optimistic that that group will improve as well. As for the Dline, there are substantial concerns. I think the group will perform well at the 1-deep, but if there are any injuries, the Dline could be hurting. Even with all of that, I have a hard time seeing how they will be worse than last year, let alone substantially worse.
Here is why I think the scheme won't benefit BYU this year.....

The d-line is going to be brutal. It won't much matter how good the LB's are this year, which I suspect will be better than average, because of the lack of developed and experienced talent on the front line. I see no real improvement in the defensive backfield.

I hope I am wrong.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 10:55 PM   #8
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

I'm a little more optimistic. The LB play will be better and I believe the DB play will improve with more experience, better personnel, and more zone coverage. Not saying they'll be great, but hopefully average enough to keep the opposing offenses somewhat honest.

Teams will have no problem rolling up the yardage, but I think we'll see better D in the red zone. I'm looking for more of a bend don't break defense this year.

I'm saying 7 wins based on our offense and assuming our D isn't worse than last year. If they're worse - six games, if they're better - 8 or 9.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 11:06 PM   #9
livecoug

livecoug is an unknown quantity at this point

7 wins will keep me happy! 8 would overjoy me!
livecoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 11:12 PM   #10
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

After failure after failure, I no longer harbor any optimism for anything BYU.

I hope for success but expect failure in return.

I see glaring holes along the line, terrible dbs and OC drooling at the prospects of drilling our defense.

Our offense should be acceptable, but Beck won't win many games that are nailbiters.

Until BYU actually starts dominating both lines of scrimmage, nothing but up and down seasons can be expected.

If BYU can't get back to having the best lines, BYU will start winning again.