cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2008, 03:14 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default Sos

Based on the methodology in the post before on probability to go undefeated, and comparing avg rank of teams SOS to last year's SOS ratings, I get:

BYU expected SOS this year: #100

Our schedule top to bottom, including a very generous ranking for TCU:

That's absolutely pathetic. It's the only complaint I have right now as a Cougar fan. I believe it hurts our fan interest, recruiting, national respect, and puts a ceiling on how high the program can go. If we do have a top 10 team this year, it will be extremely disappointing to have pansy after pansy on the schedule.

jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 03:16 PM   #2
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

It worked for Hawaii last year.

And presently it is working for Georgia.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 03:21 PM   #3
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post

With my preferences as a fan, I don't think it worked for Hawaii. I'd rather play four tough OOC opponents, including a couple live at home and be featured four times at the national level for playing tough or beating top BCS opponents, and then have a shot at going BCS bowl through the front door with respectability, then have a boring schedule, have nobody respect you, go in the BCS bowl back door and have a chance of getting completely embarassed.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:32 PM   #4
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post

PS, how could you possibly say it's working for Georgia this year. Here's Georgia's schedule.

BYU's again

That doesn't look much different to you? Plus GA has another top 10 team to play in SEC champ game to make it to BCS game.

Even look at BYU vs GA's OOC games

BYU

GA
27,57,80,120 (non D1A)

You have to look at the total schedule. I get so pissed at Y fans who just want to isolate the OOC to compare with other schools. When you have six teams in the bottom 50 in your conference, you already have your patsies lined up. You can't keep piling them up in you OOC schedule.

IT'S NOT BALANCE, IT'S BEING A PUSSY! I hate when Bronco uses that f***ing word BALANCE when he talks about playing Utah State and a Div II team.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:35 PM   #5
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
With my preferences as a fan, I don't think it worked for Hawaii. I'd rather play four tough OOC opponents, including a couple live at home and be featured four times at the national level for playing tough or beating top BCS opponents, and then have a shot at going BCS bowl through the front door with respectability, then have a boring schedule, have nobody respect you, go in the BCS bowl back door and have a chance of getting completely embarassed.
I agree with you with respect to the progam deserving better during the regular season. College football, like life, is a journey and the efforts to make it to easy in the name of wins is like picking the natural man and allowing creature comforts to influence your decisions. It is not the way the Carpenter from Galilee would encourage Bronco to schedule, but alas. I want to see BYU play the biggest teams it can to add excitement to the year. Going undefeated is such a rare thing and I think its status is being inflated in the name of going to a BCS bowl. We are selling our souls for filthy lucre, or at least trying. The odds are BYU will slip up once and selling your soul (i.e. becoming a pussie about scheduling) for the chance of filthy lucre is not my goal for BYU's football program.

Saying that UCLA and Washington are not historically chump change, this is just a strange time where both are down and are appearing to have a streak of bad luck making both teams far less competitive than their respective programs' potential.

We shall see if it works out favorably for the Cougars by going undefeated and then playing competitively in a BCS bowl should they make one.

Part of me still thinks that Mendenhall might be getting his marching orders with respect to scheduling from they who value money over the program's soul.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:37 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

prediction: BYU will not go undefeated. BYU will play in the Vegas bowl or lower MWC bowl.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 03:39 PM   #7
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
IT'S NOT BALANCE, IT'S BEING A PUSSY! I hate when Bronco uses that f***ing word BALANCE when he talks about playing Utah State and a Div II team.
[/SIZE][/SIZE]
I think BYU should schedule one team it is comfortable it could beat every year. There is no excuse to schedule USU and a FCS/one double eh team in the same year. I know that the one double eh team was a replacement for Nevada Reno so let me rephrase and say there is no excuse to schedule Nevada Freaking Reno and USU in the same year because you get to play UNLV every year.

I am not offended that BYU is scheduling Army and USU in the same year as BYU and its alum should have the privilege of playing an institution that routinely graduates far more noble men than the BYU can produce. That one I can take in the name of God and Country!
Old 08-22-2008, 03:42 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
I think BYU should schedule one team it is comfortable it could beat every year. There is no excuse to schedule USU and a FCS/one double eh team in the same year. I know that the one double eh team was a replacement for Nevada Reno so let me rephrase and say there is no excuse to schedule Nevada Freaking Reno and USU in the same year because you get to play UNLV every year.

I am not offended that BYU is scheduling Army and USU in the same year as BYU and its alum should have the privilege of playing an institution that routinely graduates far more noble men than the BYU can produce. That one I can take in the name of God and Country!
Is your fascination with tits because of the time you voluntarily spent with 99% men? The number of sex scandals in the military are off the charts. The number of female cadets raped outrageous? Are your comments sort of a continuation of the attitude in the academies towards women?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 03:43 PM   #9
jay santos

Quote:

Part of me still thinks that Mendenhall might be getting his marching orders with respect to scheduling from they who value money over the program's soul.

If this is true, then they have some jackasses in the finance department.

BCS bowl brings in max $2M (very generous assumption more like a mill possibly less after expenses) to the school. How often can we go undefeated with a shiz schedule and make it to BCS? Once every ten years? How about five? That's $400K a year.

$400K a year is an increase of $1 per ticket. Add in an extra 1,000 in season ticket sales and you're ahead. Also it adds a ton to your potential TV package.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:45 PM   #10
jay santos

Quote:

You think BYU should schedule one team it should beat each year? I agree, Wyoming. Oh, and UNLV. And Suck Dog State. That's three. Let's not add anymore.