cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you want to tailgate?!
Yes, tailgating is a blast and necessary to being a TRUE BLUE fan... 6 30.00%
Maybe, I'd like to tailgate and see what the fuss is all about.. 6 30.00%
No, I don't tailgate because I live out of state. 7 35.00%
No, It's not an effective use of ones time.... 1 5.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-22-2007, 05:08 PM   #1
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Who are the tailgaters here?!

It's May, so that means it's time to start thinking about tailgating. Yes, I'm obsessive compulsive about this stuff... I just wanted to get a feel for who tailgates or who wants to tailgate.

This season my crew will be tailgating in the Bronze lot located on the intramural fields located west of LaVell Edwards Stadium. I've been told if you get there early enough, you can get in without a pass. Not all of my buddies are Bronze Cougar Club members so getting there early will be key for them. There are a couple other tailgating groups that are planning on setting up a tailgate village of sorts with us. One group has a sattelite dish DirectTV setup and possibly a 37" plasma. There are plenty of grills, lots of tents for shade, and just an overall fun time and great college football atmosphere.

So who already tailgates? If so, where? I know there are a few of us who want to tailgate, but haven't for whatever reason. Well, here's your chance. The home opener vs. Arizona is a 3:30pm. I'm guessing we'd get there at 10 or 11 or so... still up in the air. If you have any questions, fire away...
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 05:15 PM   #2
bYuPride

I didn't make it so we can see who voted for what, so if you can also post what your answer is and why in 500 words or less single spaced that would be great. This assignment will be graded on a curve so... yeah.....
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:02 PM   #3
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Never tailgated, but I'd like to see what all the fuss is about.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 06:32 PM   #4
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

I thought tailgating required excessive beer consumption. How do we Mormons tailgate?
marsupial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 06:45 PM   #5
The Borg

The Borg is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
I thought tailgating required excessive beer consumption. How do we Mormons tailgate?
Exactly! Well, I've always wanted to put together a nice tailgate party, but, it's usually with a bunch of close friends, family, neighbors etc. So, coming in cold not really "knowing" any of you will be kind of interesting.

I guess I'll have to go back and review my posts and find out who called me a "mullah" and lace his brat with some bad onions or something.

I'd go...I think it would be fun. I've never lived close enough to Provo to attend the home games until recently.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:56 PM   #6
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I thought tailgating required excessive beer consumption.
That's the idea! The stadium doesn't allow alcohol, so you've gotta get as much down as you can before kickoff. Early kickoff times are rough but we manage.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 07:08 PM   #7
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

What does a nondrunk do at a tailgate?

Well, usually you arrive a little before game so kids don't bug you into buying stuff nobody needs.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:18 PM   #8
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
What does a nondrunk do at a tailgate?

Well, usually you arrive a little before game so kids don't bug you into buying stuff nobody needs.
Nondrunks I would assume would attend a tailgate to spend time with friends, meet other fans, welcome the visiting fans, and discuss the team.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 07:19 PM   #9
bYuPride

Quote:
Some tailgating requires alcholic beverages. I've often wondered what BYU tailgating would be like if we started drinking beer this season. I for one think it would be hilarious!

Tailgating is still in its infancy at BYU, but so far BYU tailgates are pretty cool when done right. There's usually an EZUP canopy for shade, a grill with lots of good meats, tons of food, tables and chairs everywhere, some of ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNEWS, etc. or anything college football playing on the sattelite, some drink caffeinated beverages, lots of football tossing and frisbee throwing, spitting on those not wearing BYU blue, watching classic BYU highlights, music, face cards (some texas hold'em tourneys, rummee, 21, slap jack, nerts, speed, etc), baggo/cornholling (i don't know what that is either), some do theme'd tailgates.. for example, we are going to do a dress up like Coach Mendenhall tailgate sometime this season.

There's a ton of different things to do at tailgates to make it fun without the alcohol. The most important thing I think to have a successful tailgate though is good food and good people. That's it.

Bubba

"I'm on my beater bike"

Last edited by bYuPride; 05-22-2007 at 07:26 PM.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:25 PM   #10
bYuPride

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Borg View Post
Exactly! Well, I've always wanted to put together a nice tailgate party, but, it's usually with a bunch of close friends, family, neighbors etc. So, coming in cold not really "knowing" any of you will be kind of interesting.

I guess I'll have to go back and review my posts and find out who called me a "mullah" and lace his brat with some bad onions or something.

I'd go...I think it would be fun. I've never lived close enough to Provo to attend the home games until recently.
If you end up setting up a tailgate for your family and friends you need to set up next to us on the grass of the intramural fields. Or you can just come hang out with us. To be honest, I haven't met many people from the BYU message boards. Most that I have met though have been really cool guys. I can vouch for myself that I'm really cool.

If you set up a tailgate for your family and friends it's a good idea to make a checklist and plan well in advance.. May is pretty early, but you get the idea. I think I'll make a checklist sometime so people can get an idea.

Bubba

"I'm on my beater bike"

Last edited by bYuPride; 05-22-2007 at 07:53 PM.