cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2007, 03:43 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default I'm mad but I'm giving up

At least I'll try.

1. BYU's fan base is retarded. I can prove mathematically that a 9-3 team with great SOS = 10-2 team with good SOS = 11-1 team with bad SOS = 12-0 team with terrible SOS, but BYU fans will never see it that way. They will be more impressed with gaudy record and weak SOS. HFNW is probably correct. Beating up on a bunch of nobodies will probably equate to more donations and more season ticket sales than the same team struggling a little with a great schedule.

2. Holmoe has no vision and no balls. He's not going to lead anybody anywhere.

3. Bronco is running the program, and he wants the easy way out. He knows he'll go 11-1/12-0 in his great years against a crap schedule and 7-5 in his worst years against a crap schedule. He'll have a job until he retires making $1M a year, be the most popular Mormon in the church, and retire with Lavell like status if he schedules Eastern Washington a couple times every year along with Utah State and the patsies of the MWC. And nobody's going to tell him not to do that. See #2.

4. Our TV contract, national recognition, all that, is just going to be left to chance. Nobody has any potency in BYU admin.

I'll try to shut up about going independent or doing something about our crappy conference and schedule and national recognition.

I'd different than the majority of the fanbase. I hate sitting in the stands week after week watching us play somebody nobody cares about that has a 4% chance to beat us. I'm sick of watching every other team in the nation play exciting match ups on national TV and my team playing Wyoming on the MTN. But I guess I'm different that way. The majority of the fanbase is cool with it, even prefers it.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 03:49 PM   #2
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, then you have the fanbase that is calling for blood after a team finishes 5-6 after the unprecedented task of playing 3 teams that went undefeated in the regular season (two of which also won their bowl games).
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 03:49 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
At least I'll try.

1. BYU's fan base is retarded. I can prove mathematically that a 9-3 team with great SOS = 10-2 team with good SOS = 11-1 team with bad SOS = 12-0 team with terrible SOS, but BYU fans will never see it that way. They will be more impressed with gaudy record and weak SOS. HFNW is probably correct. Beating up on a bunch of nobodies will probably equate to more donations and more season ticket sales than the same team struggling a little with a great schedule.

I agree here.

2. Holmoe has no vision and no balls. He's not going to lead anybody anywhere.

He is simply doing what he was hired to do. I can't fault him for that, and fault those who hired for giving him the lack of decisional authority.

3. Bronco is running the program, and he wants the easy way out. He knows he'll go 11-1/12-0 in his great years against a crap schedule and 7-5 in his worst years against a crap schedule. He'll have a job until he retires making $1M a year, be the most popular Mormon in the church, and retire with Lavell like status if he schedules Eastern Washington a couple times every year along with Utah State and the patsies of the MWC. And nobody's going to tell him not to do that. See #2.

I agree and lament his lack of marketing foresight.

4. Our TV contract, national recognition, all that, is just going to be left to chance. Nobody has any potency in BYU admin.

This is a true but sad statement of affairs.

I'll try to shut up about going independent or doing something about our crappy conference and schedule and national recognition.

It might be better to form a committee of loyal CC members who bring that to administration to examine other opportunities. Simply posting on message boards hasn't influenced an opinion makers.

I'd different than the majority of the fanbase. I hate sitting in the stands week after week watching us play somebody nobody cares about that has a 4% chance to beat us. I'm sick of watching every other team in the nation play exciting match ups on national TV and my team playing Wyoming on the MTN. But I guess I'm different that way. The majority of the fanbase is cool with it, even prefers it.
I wager more of your opinion than you believe.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:54 PM   #4
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry Jay, you're not that different from the rest of us. I think even your independence route has some merit, but carries some risks. I just think given current realities, Bronco probably makes a lot of sense.

My view is that we would have breezed through Hawaii's schedule this year, the one challenge being BSU.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 03:56 PM   #5
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Well, then you have the fanbase that is calling for blood after a team finishes 5-6 after the unprecedented task of playing 3 teams that went undefeated in the regular season (two of which also won their bowl games).
Crowton should have got credit for what we were in 2004, which I think was about #45 in the nation in the computers.

Were the fans wrong on Crowton?
Old 12-04-2007, 03:59 PM   #6
Indy Coug

Quote:
Crowton should have got credit for what we were in 2004, which I think was about #45 in the nation in the computers.

Regardless of who the coach is, they are never going to be happy about going 5-6 even with such an awesome schedule.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:59 PM   #7
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

In Indy's world, Crowton deserves no blame only praise.

Now I admit some of the factors contributing to the demise of the teams during his tenure were beyond his control. And to the extent, Indy highlights those, kudos to him. However, he hasn't admitted the Crowton was not a good HC at that time for BYU.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:01 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Regardless of who the coach is, they are never going to be happy about going 5-6 even with such an awesome schedule.
We went what 6-5 with Bronco, but didn't we have a div1aa game?

I thought at the time that Crowton could have gone 6-5 with that schedule as well.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 04:03 PM   #9
jay santos

Quote:
I just hope the fans would be equally happy with computer ranking #45 5-6 SOS 20 as they would computer ranking #45 7-5 SOS 60. If not, then we're stupid. And Bronco is right. He thinks he's going to fool the BCS, but he's really fooling us cuz we're idiots.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:08 PM   #10
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
In Indy's world, Crowton deserves no blame only praise.

Now I admit some of the factors contributing to the demise of the teams during his tenure were beyond his control. And to the extent, Indy highlights those, kudos to him. However, he hasn't admitted the Crowton was not a good HC at that time for BYU.
Bullshit.

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showpos...21&postcount=5

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showpos...7&postcount=32

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=2271615

Quote:
I stated several times that I thought Crowton was probably an average head coach; I certainly didn't say he was very good or excellent. The problem is that BYU presents a unique combination of challenges that requires a superior head coach in order to succeed and I wasn't sure there really was anyone out there that BYU could hire (i.e meet the high standards to be even considered a head coaching candidate) that would actually constitute an improvement.
http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=2218452

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=3036893

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=2561755