cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2007, 02:21 AM   #1
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road
Default Scheduling as an independant

There has been a lot of talk about going independent, and the two biggest obstacles are TV and scheduling IMO. Assuming that a TV deal could be worked out that was acceptable, we would still have to deal with scheduling troubles.

I think there are a few teams we would be able to schedule every year regardless in:

Utah
Utah State
Hawaii

In addition, I think that we would be able to schedule 2 of the following 4 teams every year:

Air Force
Wyoming
UNLV
Colorado State

Add in a "gimmie" game like an Eastern Washington, and we are at 6 games a year.

I think landing 2 PAC10 teams would be realistic each year, one home and one away, putting us at 8 games. But after that, then what?

The good news is we would have more yearly schedule flexibility, so I think we would get to play some bigger schools every year, but a lot of those without a return visit guaranteed. Not sure how much this really benefits BYU as a program, other than recognition against bigger name schools. Even if we get 2 of these games a year, that only puts us at 10 games a year. Would we really rather play 2 more schools each year like a Nevada or a Tulsa or a UTEP, or stay in a (crappy) conference that at least has bowl games tied in with the chance to play for a conference championship.

Maybe I'm underestimating our scheduling power, but I'm not sure that scheduling Independantly would be a better option than the MWC. Although our conference is downright awful this year, so maybe it would be better.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 02:27 AM   #2
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

BYU's schedule would be riddled with Eastern Washington and Utah State types if they go independent.

Especially in the 2nd half of the season.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:30 AM   #3
TheSizzle36

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
BYU's schedule would be riddled with Eastern Washington and Utah State types if they go independent.
Half of me wonders which is worse... playing SDSU, UNLV, CSU, Wyoming, Tulsa and Eastern Washington or playing Utah State, North Texas, UTEP, Nevada, Hawaii and Weber State.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:41 AM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post

Especially in the 2nd half of the season.
Rocky is correct. Once conference play starts up, it would be really difficult to find a decent opponent to fill the last 1/2 - 2/3 of a schedule.

I'm more curious to know what tv deal the pro-independent crowd thinks is feasible. BYU is nowhere in Notre Dame's league when it comes to a national draw (who is?) but does ok when it's on an ESPN national broadcast. And now with the tv money gap continuing to widen thanks to the BCS, is there a network that would be willing to give BYU enough money for a deal that would benefit both parties?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 02:51 AM   #5
TheSizzle36

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I'm more curious to know what tv deal the pro-independent crowd thinks is feasible. BYU is nowhere in Notre Dame's league when it comes to a national draw (who is?) but does ok when it's on an ESPN national broadcast. And now with the tv money gap continuing to widen thanks to the BCS, is there a network that would be willing to give BYU enough money for a deal that would benefit both parties?
The bigger issue isn't just in TV dollars, it would be figuring out if BYU would come out ahead on the big picture of:

1) Having an extra 1-2 home games a year
2) Bowl money
3) TV deal

I think BYU might be able to sign a local contract with KSL to pay for the broadcast of the games while simulcasting the games on BYUTV out of market (and blacking them out in the SLC DMA). I'm not sure exactly what the specifics of BYUTV are as I have heard conflicting reports as to what exactly "non-profit" means.

Like I said, I don't think it makes sense... really the only thing that makes sense is getting into a better conference.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:02 AM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Here's the real question: would BYU leaving the MWC be a death blow of any sorts to the Mtn and the MWC?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 03:05 AM   #7
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
The bigger issue isn't just in TV dollars, it would be figuring out if BYU would come out ahead on the big picture of:

1) Having an extra 1-2 home games a year
2) Bowl money
3) TV deal

I think BYU might be able to sign a local contract with KSL to pay for the broadcast of the games while simulcasting the games on BYUTV out of market (and blacking them out in the SLC DMA). I'm not sure exactly what the specifics of BYUTV are as I have heard conflicting reports as to what exactly "non-profit" means.

Like I said, I don't think it makes sense... really the only thing that makes sense is getting into a better conference.
It would be great for both Utah and BYU to get into a better conference, as they would be the best package of all non-BCS teams. The trouble is that there just aren't enough tv sets along the Wasatch Front to convince a better conference to make the offer.

The unfortunate thing is that tv money drives all of college football today, so the tv deal would still be the most important factor for the Y going independent, IMO.

Bowl money would help too, but because of the BCS bowls, all other bowls are worthless, even if BYU keeps all of it's share for itself.

As crappy as the MWC is, right now, it really is the best option for BYU and Utah.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:09 AM   #8
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Here's the real question: would BYU leaving the MWC be a death blow of any sorts to the Mtn and the MWC?
It could very possibly do that. But I think it would also be a death blow to BYU should independence prove to be a colossal mistake. I think other confernces would welcome BYU, but it would be a conference like the WAC or C_USA which would be worse than the MWC/mtn troubles. Tuesday night games would suck beyond suck.

Old 11-08-2007, 03:16 AM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
It could very possibly do that. But I think it would also be a death blow to BYU should independence prove to be a colossal mistake. I think other confernces would welcome BYU, but it would be a conference like the WAC or C_USA which would be worse than the MWC/mtn troubles. Tuesday night games would suck beyond suck.
If BYU joins the WAC, then suddenly the MWC is the new WAC and the WAC is the new MWC.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 03:18 AM   #10
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
If BYU joins the WAC, then suddenly the MWC is the new WAC and the WAC is the new MWC.
I can agree with this, but it puts BYU in the same position as before. Why take the chance when the grass isn't greener?

Edit: BYU without Utah isn't as attractive as BYU with Utah. They really do need each other.

Last edited by il Padrino Ute; 11-08-2007 at 03:21 AM.