cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2007, 04:06 AM   #71
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I would do anything for music...but I wont do that.
Good refernce, but that one was from the 90s, I believe.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:09 AM   #72
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
As far as modern mainstream country goes, Brad Paisley and Josh Turner are the only ones that really stand out it my mind. Most of the other stuff is unimaginitive and not really country, just forgettable pop music with a little fiddle thrown in.

The best country is bluegrass. I'm partial to old time bluegrass like The Stanley Brothers and Earl Scruggs, but a little Ricky Skaggs and Allison Krauss is always good.

For real old-timey, check out Old Crow Medicine Show. It's pre-bluegrass mountain music with a little blues. Good stuff.

Or just stick with Johnny and Hank. Can't go wrong there.
Old Crow Medicine Show is a fun band. They have a great video singing "Down Home Girl" on an NYC sidewalk.

I'm not a fan of pop country, but I do like some other country. Dwight Yoakam and Buck Owens are always good. Dwight just released a cover album of Bucks' songs that I'm looking forward to getting into.

Outlaw country is probably my favorite. Old time Merle, Waylon, Willie, Johnny, Kris Kristofferson, and Hank Jr always have something worth hearing. The Highwaymen have a couple of really nice albums.

I also like some alt country ; Hank III, Old 97's, Steve Earle and Reverend Glasseye are some of the singers/bands I'm more familiar with. Hank III's "Straight to Hell" is a particular favorite of mine.

I grew up listening to some old country. I still enjoy Patsy Cline, Johnny Horton, and Hank Sr.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 04:11 AM   #73
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteStar View Post
If you are all looking for classic less than mediocre 80s music, look no further than Meat Loaf and Bonnie Tyler.
Meatloaf has a great part on the most recent Tenacious D album. Nothing mediocre about that guy.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:11 AM   #74
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Good refernce, but that one was from the 90s, I believe.
It was more just a reference to Meat Loaf than to the era. Perhaps I should have said "turn around, bright eyes."

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 04:12 AM   #75
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Meatloaf has a great part on the most recent Tenacious D album. Nothing mediocre about that guy.
Anyone who appears in RHPS gets a lifetime exemption. Sorry, guys, thems is facts.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 10-26-2007, 04:16 AM   #76
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Outlaw country is probably my favorite. Old time Merle, Waylon, Willie, Johnny, Kris Kristofferson, and Hank Jr always have something worth hearing. The Highwaymen have a couple of really nice albums.

I also like some alt country ; Hank III, Old 97's, Steve Earle and Reverend Glasseye are some of the singers/bands I'm more familiar with.
My childhood memories are laden with Waylon and Willie. how about this one..

Let's go to Luckenbach Texas with Waylon and Willie and the boys
This successful life we're livin' got us fueding
like the Hatfield and McCoys
Between Hank Williams pain songs, Newberry's train songs
and blue eyes cryin' in the rain out in Luckenbach Texas
ain't nobody feelin' no pain

Man, that brings back some awesome memories. I need to pick some of that up again.

I love Old 97s. Satellite Rides is a great disc. The song "Question" is one of my favorites.

Old 10-26-2007, 04:23 AM   #77
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

My brother in law worships Waylon Jennings, he even named his son Waylon. When his son was in the womb he would put headphones on his wifes stomach and play Waylon for hours.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:28 AM   #78
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
My childhood memories are laden with Waylon and Willie. how about this one..

I love Old 97s. Satellite Rides is a great disc. The song "Question" is one of my favorites.
Luchenbach, Texas is a good one. I love the opening line:

The only two things in life that make it worth livin'
Is guitars that tune good and firm feelin' women.

Question is also a fine song. Their song Barrier Reef is one I like alot. Niteclub, Stoned and Cryin' Drunk are full of self-destructive soul.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:37 AM   #79
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Luchenbach, Texas is a good one. I love the opening line:

The only two things in life that make it worth livin'
Is guitars that tune good and firm feelin' women.

Question is also a fine song. Their song Barrier Reef is one I like alot. Niteclub, Stoned and Cryin' Drunk are full of self-destructive soul.
That is great that you like them. They have been around for awhile but have flown under the radar almost the entire time.

They released a live video of their show at The Troubadour in LA...a couple years ago, almost 3 years, actually because now that I think about it, my wife was pregnant. I was at that show, it was a great time. A fantastic small venue that is historic and houses about 500 people max.

Old 10-26-2007, 04:38 AM   #80
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
My brother in law worships Waylon Jennings, he even named his son Waylon. When his son was in the womb he would put headphones on his wifes stomach and play Waylon for hours.
I did something similar, but instead of Waylon, I played one of the spooky Halloween sound effect discs, with screams, thunder and lightening, and rattling chains. The long-term effects on my children have yet to be determined.