cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2006, 06:28 PM   #1
The Borg

The Borg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Policing the World

Ok...Iran lurks on the horizon to be a catalyst to ignite the entire middle east.

How is it that the USA is always the one to step up to smack down dictators and aggressive nations? Where is Russia? Where is China? Where is the rest of the world?

I firmly believe that the rest of the world waits for us to act...and they are hoping we fail. Then fail again...until we ultimately lose/spend our strength trying to police the world, and they come after us.

Is it better to police the world as we are/have been?...or, to just pull out of the world, subscribe to isolationalism, build up our defenses to be impenitrable...and let the world battle it out and go down the drain.

I'm pissed that Russia & China will never step up to the plate. They have as much to lose as the rest of the world vs. extremist muslims.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:37 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

we may have to stop policing the world the hard way. which is through tactical strikes. Boots on the ground.

Some countries have lost their sense of fear. Don't press us too hard. We might try to win the lazy way. By pushing buttons in the United States.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 03:33 AM   #3
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Borg
Ok...Iran lurks on the horizon to be a catalyst to ignite the entire middle east.

How is it that the USA is always the one to step up to smack down dictators and aggressive nations? Where is Russia? Where is China? Where is the rest of the world?

I firmly believe that the rest of the world waits for us to act...and they are hoping we fail. Then fail again...until we ultimately lose/spend our strength trying to police the world, and they come after us.

Is it better to police the world as we are/have been?...or, to just pull out of the world, subscribe to isolationalism, build up our defenses to be impenitrable...and let the world battle it out and go down the drain.

I'm pissed that Russia & China will never step up to the plate. They have as much to lose as the rest of the world vs. extremist muslims.
It is a catch 22 because it is exactly economic power and access to global markets that makes us a superpower. Isolate and that goes away. Allow world markets to be disrupted and it goes away.

Most of Europe and Asia don't really believe that anything that bad will occur to THEM. We could wake up tomorrow to find mushroom clouds over half a dozen US cities and I PROMISE that no one in Europe or Asia would lift a finger. Half of them would just say we brought it on ourselves. This is why I get so frustrated by worship at the alter of the "world community". We live in a time when the world doesn't care what happens to us, with the exceptions of the Enlgish speaking countries and Japan.

I wish I had the answer. It is not retreat or inaction, and yet what we are doing has not worked so far. Hearts and minds is a joke. They are not winnable.