cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2007, 02:39 PM   #41
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
He's not defending what he holds sacred. He's attacking what he considers profane. Big difference.

If you visit with a JW missionary, they will attack your beliefs and tell you why they are wrong.

If you talk to a Mormon missionary, they will tell you about JS and the BoM and ask you to pray about it.

Big difference.
There were soooooo many times on my mission that I had to fight the urge to respond in kind to the nasty, hurtful and often deeply sacriligious things that were said, but I did so because I tried to remember who I was representing.

I may not have been a very good missionary overall, but I did manage to successfully do that much.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 02:41 PM   #42
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
Take a guy like Aaron Shaf, for example. The guy may be a nut job, and he may be a tool, but I still think he sincerely believes he is defending something that he holds sacred. I don't think he's evil, just severely deluded.
Under your analysis, everybody is simply innocently standing up for what they believe.

As Mike has pointed out, if you articulate a forward position advocating belief in something, that is advocacy.

If advocate a negative position, informing in what not to believe, I don't find that person useful, but just destructive.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:47 PM   #43
Indy Coug

I think this scripture fits Aaron Shaf nicely:

http://scriptures.lds.org/en/alma/30/53#53
Old 04-16-2007, 02:50 PM   #44
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Under your analysis, everybody is simply innocently standing up for what they believe.

As Mike has pointed out, if you articulate a forward position advocating belief in something, that is advocacy.

If advocate a negative position, informing in what not to believe, I don't find that person useful, but just destructive.
When a mormon missionary sets out to convert a Catholic, isn't he informing that person in what not to believe? Isn't the missionary basically telling that person that they shouldn't believe in Catholicism? Maybe it's just that mormon missionaries are more tactful in their approach than Aaron Shaf.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 02:52 PM   #45
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
When a mormon missionary sets out to convert a Catholic, isn't he informing that person in what not to believe? Isn't the missionary basically telling that person that they shouldn't believe in Catholicism? Maybe it's just that mormon missionaries are more tactful in their approach than Aaron Shaf.
If Mormonism is more attractive than their current religion, they will gravitate to it.

Look at the training Mormon missionaries receive. It is only about their own religion. Missionaries know very little about other religions.

It's very clear what the Mormon approach is. We have something special, try it, join us if you like.

Go back and read the allegory of the Tree of Life. And the fruit.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 02:54 PM   #46
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
LDS don't teach, at least now, "Hey, you Catholics sold permission for sin or indulgences"; we teach everybody must pay for their own sins lest they take advantage of the Atonment.

It is much different. Shaf doesn't preach in what a person should believe only in what one should not believe.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:59 PM   #47
non sequitur

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
If Mormonism is more attractive than their current religion, they will gravitate to it.

Look at the training Mormon missionaries receive. It is only about their own religion. Missionaries know very little about other religions.

It's very clear what the Mormon approach is. We have something special, try it, join us if you like.

Go back and read the allegory of the Tree of Life. And the fruit.
But you're just talking about tactics. The approach used by mormon missionaries is, indeed, more tactful. More subtle. More friendly. But isn't the ultimate goal to change the way other people believe? A guy like Aaron Shaf reminds me Grapevine -- socially retarded, heavy-handed, confused, inarticulate, abrasive, but in the end still sincere.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
Old 04-16-2007, 03:02 PM   #48
Indy Coug

Quote:
But you're just talking about tactics. The approach used by mormon missionaries is, indeed, more tactful. More subtle. More friendly. But isn't the ultimate goal to change the way other people believe? A guy like Aaron Shaf reminds me Grapevine -- socially retarded, heavy-handed, confused, inarticulate, abrasive, but in the end still sincere.
Given the heavy-handed and insulting tactics of Aaron Shaf, forgive me if I don't buy into your claim that his motivations are really that altruistic.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:03 PM   #49
non sequitur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
LDS don't teach, at least now, "Hey, you Catholics sold permission for sin or indulgences"; we teach everybody must pay for their own sins lest they take advantage of the Atonment.

It is much different. Shaf doesn't preach in what a person should believe only in what one should not believe.
So Shaf is the BMW salesman who tells you not to buy the Mercedes, while the mormon missionary just tells you why the BMW is such a great car. It seems to me that the only difference is in the sales pitch.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:07 PM   #50
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
So Shaf is the BMW salesman who tells you not to buy the Mercedes, while the mormon missionary just tells you why the BMW is such a great car. It seems to me that the only difference is in the sales pitch.
Well you are right that Mormons = BMW, most of the rest of the world = Yugo.

I'll hand it to you there.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote