cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2006, 06:04 PM   #1
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How many true churches are there?

Is there truly only one?

A few scriptures to begin the discussion:

11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.
12 For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ.
13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.
14 For the body is not one member, but many.
15 If the foot shall say, Because I am not the hand, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body?
16 And if the ear shall say, Because I am not the eye, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body?
17 If the whole body were an eye, where were the hearing? If the whole were hearing, where were the smelling?
18 But now hath God set the members every one of them in the body, as it hath pleased him.
19 And if they were all one member, where were the body?
20 But now are they many members, yet but one body.
21 And the eye cannot say unto the hand, I have no need of thee: nor again the ahead to the feet, I have no need of you.
22 Nay, much more those members of the body, which seem to be more feeble, are necessary:
23 And those members of the body, which we think to be less honourable, upon these we bestow more abundant honour; and our uncomely parts have more abundant comeliness.
24 For our comely parts have no need: but God hath tempered the body together, having given more abundant honour to that part which lacked:
25 That there should be no schism in the body; but that the members should have the same acare one for another.
26 And whether one member suffer, all the members suffer with it; or one member be honoured, all the members rejoice with it.
27 Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular.
28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.
29 Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?
30 Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?
31 But covet earnestly the bestbgifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.

Is the body of Christ the manifestation of his love, and do we all, all faith's alike fit within the body? Do we need to be part of the LDS church to compose the body of Christ?

Furthermore:

11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:
16 From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.

This is where Adam/God makes sense to me, it allows all to drink in Christ in this life, seek out the truth, aka Jesus, and one day abide in his glory and compassion.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 06:08 PM   #2
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Although most churches have some/many elements of truth, there is only one true and living church on the face of the earth.

Are you uncomfortable with that?
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 06:09 PM   #3
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Define "true".

Does "true" mean it teaches some truth? In that case, all churches are true, if the LDS doctrine regarding other religions is to be accepted.

Does "true" mean it teaches nothing BUT truth? In that case, NO church is true, not even the LDS Church, as it can be shown that eroneous concepts have been taught by even the highest leaders of the church.

Fusnik, you know why the LDS Church claims to be the only true and living church as well as anybody else here.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:13 PM   #4
fusnik11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman
Although most churches have some/many elements of truth, there is only one true and living church on the face of the earth.

Are you uncomfortable with that?
What is truth, I guess that's ultimately my question.

32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

The truth setting us free is interpreted many times by LDS to mean that the truth of the teachings of the LDS church, but is this accurate?

6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

So Jesus is the truth, his atonement is the truth, and we can't achieve oneness with God without the help of Jesus.

So can anyone achieve this oneness without the LDS church?

If not, how do LDS achieve this oneness?
Old 07-17-2006, 06:16 PM   #5
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11
What is truth, I guess that's ultimately my question.

32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

The truth setting us free is interpreted many times by LDS to mean that the truth of the teachings of the LDS church, but is this accurate?

6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

So Jesus is the truth, his atonement is the truth, and we can't achieve oneness with God without the help of Jesus.

So can anyone achieve this oneness without the LDS church?

If not, how do LDS achieve this oneness?

Authority.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:18 PM   #6
fusnik11

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American
Fusnik, you know why the LDS Church claims to be the only true and living church as well as anybody else here.
Because of the lineage of authority?

D&C 121:

41 No power or influence can or ought to be maintained by virtue of the priesthood, only by persuasion, by long-suffering, by gentleness and meekness, and by love unfeigned;
42 By kindness, and pure knowledge, which shall greatly enlarge the soul without hypocrisy, and without eguile—
43 Reproving betimes with sharpness, when moved upon by the Holy Ghost; and then showing forth afterwards an increase of love toward him whom thou hast reproved, lest he esteem thee to be his enemy;
44 That he may know that thy faithfulness is stronger than the cords of death.

So priesthood is charity and love unfeigned in essence, correct?

D&C 88:

125 And above all things, clothe yourselves with the bond of charity, as with a mantle, which is the bond of perfectness and peace.

So can anybody cloth themselves with the bond of charity? It seems as if priesthood in part can be bonded on somebody if they have charity.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:20 PM   #7
All-American

Quote:
Because of the lineage of authority?

D&C 121:

41 No power or influence can or ought to be maintained by virtue of the priesthood, only by persuasion, by long-suffering, by gentleness and meekness, and by love unfeigned;
42 By kindness, and pure knowledge, which shall greatly enlarge the soul without hypocrisy, and without eguile—
43 Reproving betimes with sharpness, when moved upon by the Holy Ghost; and then showing forth afterwards an increase of love toward him whom thou hast reproved, lest he esteem thee to be his enemy;
44 That he may know that thy faithfulness is stronger than the cords of death.

So priesthood is charity and love unfeigned in essence, correct?

D&C 88:

125 And above all things, clothe yourselves with the bond of charity, as with a mantle, which is the bond of perfectness and peace.

So can anybody cloth themselves with the bond of charity? It seems as if priesthood in part can be bonded on somebody if they have charity.

Priesthood is MAINTAINED by charity and love unfeigned.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:42 PM   #8
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

The Lord Himself stated the LDS restoration was the only true and living church. There are true dead churches: such as the church in Peter's day and in Nephi's day.

However I don't think that means every non-LDS minister today is whack. Some of them, IMO, carry 90% of truth but fall off course in a few areas. Like this guy for example:

http://www.centerplace.org/library/b...sionofbofm.htm

Last edited by ute4ever; 07-17-2006 at 06:47 PM.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 08:10 PM   #9
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I would say yes, it's accurate. The teachings (along with the ordinances and priesthood) of the LDS church were revealed and restored by Jesus Christ.

These teachings and ordinances are necessary for us to take advantage of Christ's atonement. His atonement is what sets us free, free from spiritual and physical death.

Again, that's not to say the LDS Church is the only place one finds truth. But when it comes to your salvation, you'll find all the necessary teachings, ordinances, and authority there.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 09:33 PM   #10
fusnik11

Quote:
These teachings and ordinances are necessary for us to take advantage of Christ's atonement. His atonement is what sets us free, free from spiritual and physical death.
Do we as Saints really see his teachings and ordinances? I have felt for a long time that the, 'work for the dead' that occurs in the temples is not for people already deceased. How misleading is it that a righteous, just, and charity fill diety would require that physical people do the physical work of people that could not do it themselves? I think it's highly misleading, I think the dead so oft talked about is the spiritually dead among us, the spiritually dead that do not see life, and our existence for what it truly is.

Quote:
Again, that's not to say the LDS Church is the only place one finds truth. But when it comes to your salvation, you'll find all the necessary teachings, ordinances, and authority there.
Are these teachings, ordinances and authority uniform? We know that the church that Joseph established varies drastically from the current church. We also know that the church that Brigham lead was highly different than the church that Joseph lead. We know that ordinances, signs, tokens, etc, have all changed, if these changes are acceptable, and it is not required that these 'eternal' priniciples are always the same inside the 'one true church' is it acceptable to be part of any church as long as it's principles are based on love, charity, and selflessness?