cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2008, 09:59 PM   #111
Snowcat

Snowcat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
We gain greater amounts of secret confession. We lose Zion, the ability to mourn with those that mourn and the blessing of comforting those who stand in need of comfort. Do we really value the former greater than the latter?
Interesting thought. Most people are not ready for Zion at this level and are would not be willing to air their problems in front of the ward. Why, lack of trust. By keeping things confidentisl, at least members can open up to a Bishop who can mourn and comfort. Why, because members have more trust with the Bishop. If the Bishop violates this confidentiality he would lose this trust.
Snowcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:16 PM   #112
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
This guy needs a serious beating. He actually lists on his CV that he was a district leader on his mission.
Does that count as a "CV"? He also put his marriage and four kids down.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:09 AM   #113
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I don't blame my bishop, I blame the system. I agree that there are good reasons for confidentiality--mainly to encourage people to unburden themselves via a secret confession they wouldn't make publicly.

But you trade the secret confessions for Zion IMHO. A community can't be of one heart and one mind while keeping struggles secret from everyone but the bishop.

Isn't this price too high? Obviously the current church hierarchy doesn't think so.
I disagree.

A person struggles first privately before he burdens another. It is one's moral duty to anguish before sharing the anguish. And to anguish as few persons as possible.

So in a way, it is more noble NOT to share and to retain the confidentiality.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:25 AM   #114
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
This is a cultural mindset and not part of the gospel. Suffer in silence and don't burden others. Am I missing the scriptural mandate for this moral duty?

It stands in direct juxtaposition to Zion IMHO. One heart and one mind. Mourn and comfort together. And so forth.
So when did you become a proof texter? You rely solely upon your unique interpretation of the scriptures?

It's part of studying it out in my mind, before I take it to somebody else. I interpret the provisions of being of one heart to have a common purpose in serving God and man, but that doesn't mean our hearts must share all anguish.