cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2008, 06:34 PM   #21
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Your concept of God is inherently provincial, bordering on narsissistic, not to mention ethically immature.
LOL! Seattle we just keep coming and coming....resistance is futile!

You will just sit and wonder why they keep on going and going and going like the energizer bunny, but of course you know the answer....you are smarter than us, right?
Old 04-11-2008, 06:35 PM   #22
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Your concept of God has been passe for a long time. The Founding Fathers rejected it, and Einstein spoke eloquently against it. Go try to sell your concept of God to the people in Somalia.
I'm with Seattle, although I'd probably say it a little more diplomatically.

It's ridiculous to me to think humans can begin to describe or comprehend god (or god-like substance).
Old 04-11-2008, 06:36 PM   #23
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Your concept of God is inherently provincial, bordering on narsissistic, not to mention ethically immature.
SU's definition of 'ethically immature' = anything he disagrees with.

The irony comes from the immaturity of that position.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 06:39 PM   #24
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post

It's ridiculous to me to think humans can begin to describe or comprehend god (or god-like substance).
Is it ridiculous to individually experience God and ascribe characteristcs to Him based on that individual experience?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 06:42 PM   #25
Spaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
I think there are two general trends which we simply can't fully appreciate:

1). How much God tries to get us to make our own decisions and act according to our own will, such that we can more fully develop and lay claim to the glory which he wishes that we have;

and 2.) How much he has done, especially behind the scenes, in order to make that happen, and to bring to pass that which we wish to accomplish in life.
For each specific decision we make in our lives, I believe there's three basic 'options' from which God chooses, using His perfect knowledge of all things, for the betterment of His children.

1. Allow us to make our own decision without any influence, regardless of the outcomes of that decision.

2. Allow us to make a decision, and intervene if that decision is the wrong one.

3. Intervene immediately by revealing to us His preference.

Is it possible that, for those like Archaea who "are unable to discern His involvement", God has chosen only options 1 & 2, and that they have managed to always choose His preference in the case of #2?

Further, is it possible that there are individuals who will be better off going through this life without that personal involvement?

Not being God, and not knowing all things, I refuse to constrain God to any specific actions taken with any individuals.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Old 04-11-2008, 06:44 PM   #26
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Perhpas for you this is true, and yet it seems most un-God-like by almost any measure to ridicule or condemn somone who has found truth and comfort in their own view of deity.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:44 PM   #27
Spaz

Quote:
Your concept of God has been passe for a long time. The Founding Fathers rejected it, and Einstein spoke eloquently against it. Go try to sell your concept of God to the people in Somalia.
The 'human suffering' card is at least as passe as our concept of God.

Anyone willing to look at the issue while understanding that eternal consequences are far more important to God than momentary suffering on this world can easily see through such a simplistic red herring.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:46 PM   #28
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Is it ridiculous to individually experience God and ascribe characteristcs to Him based on that individual experience?
To me, yes. There's just no way to know it's god. I think humankind's assumptions that god is just, merciful, cares at all, etc. is more a deep-seated hope than anything.

We pretend that we know what kind of being god is (all-wise, all-knowing, just, merciful, etc.), then rationalize instances where god breaks out of character (He lets kids starve in Africa because of XYZ). In my opinion, we don't know anything about god.

But to each his/her own.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:47 PM   #29
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Go try to sell your concept of God to the people in Somalia.
Does it bother you that the Church is experienceing great success in the missionary work in Africa? What could those people possibly be thinking with all the suffering they have experienced?
Old 04-11-2008, 06:48 PM   #30
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
To me, yes. There's just no way to know it's god. I think humankind's assumptions that god is just, merciful, cares at all, etc. is more a deep-seated hope than anything.
I might agree with you, except he keeps appearing to people.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote