cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2005, 09:27 PM   #1
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney
Default Best way to go to the U game next week?

I will be in town with my Boston College friend and we decided to really make it a football weekend and bought tickets to the game up on the hill.

Game time is at 6. What is the easiest way to get there? I am thinking TRAX, but this mass transportation might be too complicated for us Californians. Coming up from provo, which Trax stop would be the best to park the car at to get to the game, and how long should I expect it to take to get there?

Thanks.
bigpiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 03:12 AM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Me, I'm intimidated by mass transit, buses, trains, etc. I have no idea how I would get anywhere. But the avg. homeless guy knows the system like the back of his hand.

I'm sure there is a website or a number you can call.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 03:22 AM   #3
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa
Default My experience riding TRAX to a U game was a nightmare

I live in the Cottonwood Heights area of SLC. Basically a 15 minute drive via I-215 from the U. It's near the Holladay area.

I went to the U vs. Texas A&M game last year and I will NEVER...and I mean NEVER take Trax to a U game ever again. It took 2 1/2 hours to get home.

Personally it wasn't worth it. I would've gladly dealt with the light traffic of a 45K crowd and still gotten home in a 1/2hour.

Skip TRAX,,,unless you are staying downtown or something.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 03:32 PM   #4
InTheMuss

InTheMuss

I have a car but choose to take Trax everyday to the U (why not, it drops me off at the exact same spot I would park and it's free for U students). I take Trax to all the games and have never had a problem.

Also, Trax is about the simplest mass transit system ever. You've got the University line which goes.... to the University from the Delta Center with stops every couple of blocks. You also have the Sandy line which runs North/South and has less frequent stops. Trax cars come about every 15 minutes.

If I were you I'd park at one of the University line stops if you're looking to avoid hassle. There is currently a LOT of construction at the U which has really taken a toll on parking (Library lot, Engineering Lot). It will be more difficult to park this year and especially for the first game when no one has any clue as to what lots are closed etc...

There's a stop at the public library on 4th south between 2nd/3rd east, also another across from the Chili's/staples on 4th south between 6th and 7th east, and another on 4th south between 8th and 9th east. In my opinion that lot will fill quickly and people will get booted... I would park on the street on 6th East off of 4th South and take that Trax station. I believe they call it the Trolley Square 6th East stop (even though it's not exactly trolley square).

From the 400 S 600 E stop, it'd take maybe 4 minutes to get to the stadium. You'd most definitely have to stand on the train though, it'll be really crowded.

boardmail me if you have any questions.

InTheMuss
InTheMuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 03:19 AM   #5
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I, too, had a poor experience with TRAXX

when going to a game at RES and will never again use it to get there. I could have walked from the Galivan Center to RES in less time it would have taken to ride the train, as for every one train that switched to the University line there were about 7 or 8 trains that went to Sandy. Perhaps it's much better now, but I won't risk it.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 03:50 AM   #6
BYU Grounds

BYU Grounds
Default Best Way to go? Don't go at all

:lol:
BYU Grounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 06:25 PM   #7
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Best way to go to the U game next week?
In a pirate dinghy, of course!

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote