cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2005, 03:40 PM   #1
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default heres what happened with the qb situation at byu.....

it all goes back a few years to gc and the pressure he felt to win now....

beck was recruited never to be a starter but to be a backup.

his role on the team was supposed to be quite simple, provide a quality back up for 4 years, get an education and get the heck out of dodge.

it breaks down like this, now stay with me.

at byu theyve always historically succeeded with a qb who has at least one year at the helm. gc learned this from lavell and trusted in lavells recruits to provide him with that. we all know this.

berry was suppose to be in his senior year as a starter. beck was to be a sophomore as a back up this year, with ben olson the freshman backup fighting beck for the 2nd qb position. next year ben was to start beck to be the back up.....

now heres where it went wrong. berry got hurt, gc panicked and isntead of leaving beck on the bench and scrapping the season with mortensen and letting berry fully heal, gc rushes berry back, scrambles and puts in beck....

it never made sense to begin with berry winning the job. hes the exact opposite of what gc wants in a qb. but he knew that if he kept berry on the bench, when olson came back he could get 3 years from a quality qb, have his recruit and have beck as a quality backup should things go wrong.....

alas we know what happened and it basically screwed the program.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 04:36 PM   #2
originalsocal

originalsocal
Default You're right on this

although, we all could have guessed this. Even the casual observer could see how things were supposed to work out. So Beck was supposed to be a back-up. That is what it is. My bitterness about the situation now is the fact that Beck has not progressed AND that Berry has destroyed any chance at improving and beating Beck with his poor attitude. Think about this. Had Berry put in the type of after practice time as Beck, we may not be having this discussion right now. Berry has successfully used every excuse in the world not to succeed...injury, dedicated to study, etc. I wish he would have pushed harder. I really think his upside was better than Beck's in many respects. I certainly think Berry can relate better to teammates, from what I hear.
originalsocal is offline   Reply With Quote