cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How would you describe your mission?
Greatest experience of my life 2 4.65%
Among the greatest experiences 23 53.49%
A good experience 7 16.28%
A mixed bag 4 9.30%
Overall, was a negative 3 6.98%
One of the worst experiences of my life 4 9.30%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-17-2007, 05:30 PM   #31
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
I spent a few months on the south side of Chicago with a name saying "Elder Funk" - it was a big hit. I also had a black companion at the time, which was great until he opened his mouth and gave away his British accent.
Were you ever in the Hyde Park Ward?
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 05:34 PM   #32
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
Were you ever in the Hyde Park Ward?
I was in the Hyde Park Ward in London....
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 05:36 PM   #33
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

I was a young kid and was in Italy and all I had to do was talk to folks about the Church. How could that not be a good experience?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 05:43 PM   #34
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

I served in the San Jose, California mission and had a blast.

The first couple of months were hell, but once I figured things out and started getting into it, my entire outlook on it changed and I enjoyed it much more after that.

My first companion/trainer had major anger management issues for which he was on medication for. Lucky me, when he started training me he'd run out of meds and was impossible to be around or have anything said to without him flying off the handle. After a month I told the Mission President, that you get me a new companion or I fly home tomorrow. He set me up with a new trainer and a new area and we got along great, and things really began to look up after that.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:54 PM   #35
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

13 months of joy and 11 months of hell. The 13 goods ones were with the Indians up on the reserves in Canada and the 11 bad ones were stuck in a city with the white folk. I wouldn't trade the one or ever want to experience the other one again.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 05:58 PM   #36
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Tal? Is that you?
I like your new avatar. I dated a girl a while ago and we watched the movie The Big Lebowski together. She was going on and on about how sexy Sam Elliot was, so I suddenly found myself going around saying in my best Sam Elliot voice, "Sometimes you eat the bar, and sometimes the bar eats you." Apparently I'm not as sexy as Sam Elliot, because all she would do is roll her eyes.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 06:00 PM   #37
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I'm sure glad I didn't go to Europe. I think I would have become disillusioned.

I was in a pretty-hard-to-baptize but-not-impossible missions.

I think I had about 20 people baptized where I was the missionary of record. Far different that missions where it is 20 per month per mission companionship.
Europe gets a bad rap but it's not that bad. At least I didn't have to risk my life in algae-infested water or strap bombs to myself. ;-) It's hard work and takes a lot of patience, and many who grow up pampered and not having to be patient or work for anything can't hack that, I suppose. I learned to love the Dutch people and country and yes, I even had a few baptisms. The fact that they didn't happen all the time makes those experiences even more memorable and rewarding. I have no other mission to compare it to, obviously, but I enjoyed it.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 06:05 PM   #38
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
Europe gets a bad rap but it's not that bad. At least I didn't have to risk my life in algae-infested water or strap bombs to myself. ;-) It's hard work and takes a lot of patience, and many who grow up pampered and not having to be patient or work for anything can't hack that, I suppose. I learned to love the Dutch people and country and yes, I even had a few baptisms. The fact that they didn't happen all the time makes those experiences even more memorable and rewarding. I have no other mission to compare it to, obviously, but I enjoyed it.
Even I like the Dutch. They almost all speak English, and they never made me , an ugly American, feel bad that I didn't speak a word of Dutch (when I visited a few years ago).
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 06:09 PM   #39
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Denver was great except for all of the Broncos fans. My mission was chill. Baptized a ton. Learned Spanish. Never was out of the world or national news loop. I can go back whenever I want. I did miss the Lakers first championship against the Pacers. It was a positive experience and one that I tried to maximize because it took some serious repentin' to be able to go in the first place. Figured that if I went through all that crap just to get to Denver, I might as well bust my ass and baptize the hell out of everyone.

That said, it's probably one of the greatest times in my life but not the greatest and I hope as I get older it keeps getting pushed down that list. I attended a fireside sometime ago where the speaker, talking of marriage, said that if you're married and the mission is still the greatest time of your life, that there is something wrong with you.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 06:16 PM   #40
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
That said, it's probably one of the greatest times in my life but not the greatest and I hope as I get older it keeps getting pushed down that list. I attended a fireside sometime ago where the speaker, talking of marriage, said that if you're married and the mission is still the greatest time of your life, that there is something wrong with you.
I agree with this sentiment, especially when speaking of spiritual "greatest" times.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote