cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2007, 01:40 PM   #1
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default So I guess we lost a recruit

I don't know if all of you RM's experienced this in the mission field, but I had a couple of people ready for baptism who backed out. They felt the spirit, but it just left them. Since I believe the gospel would have brought much into their lives I still feel they felt the spirit but just couldn't follow through and I felt sad.

When it comes to secular things I am not so sure when someone declares a feeling of the spirit. Good for them if they do, but it isn't a faith promoting experience for me and thus if they lose the spirit and change their mind it isn't a bummer for me either.

The kid felt something for BYU and changed his mind. No different than any other kid who while on some college campus gets excited and then changes his mind.

I don't mind Bronco emphasizing the religious atmoshpere for these kids at BYU. For some kids that is very important, just like education, pretty girls or nice beaches are for other kids.

I have been criticized for saying this in the past, but I just don't get any more excited over a football recruit bearing his testimony upon committing than I do over a recruit who says he is coming to BYU because he thinks BYU has a great football program.

As far as my relationship goes with these kids it is about football. I let their family and friends delight in their spiritual growth.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 01:50 PM   #2
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
As far as my relationship goes with these kids it is about football. I let their family and friends delight in their spiritual growth.
That's how I feel as well. Recruiting can be a crap shoot anyways. If you look at the highest profile recruits BYU has signed over the years, few of them have really panned out (Walt Williams, Ben Olson, Ofa Moheatu, etc). I appreciate the ones who choose to come to the Y, especially those who are asked to change their lifestyles and do so (or at least make an honest effort to do so). But I really don't get too up or down on losing a recruit like this. Would it have been nice to have him? Probably. Is it the end of the world? No.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 01:57 PM   #3
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

The problem essentially centers around academics. To be honest, virtually all of the head-to-head battles Utah has won against us in recruiting the last couple of years have been with academically borderline recruits.

Siliga essentially didn't have enough faith in himself to cut it in school at BYU.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 02:02 PM   #4
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
The problem essentially centers around academics. To be honest, virtually all of the head-to-head battles Utah has won against us in recruiting the last couple of years have been with academically borderline recruits.

Siliga essentially didn't have enough faith in himself to cut it in school at BYU.
Oh brother. I hope this post was intended to get a reaction and you are accomplishing that.

However, I do know there are others who actually believe what you just said and to them I would say don't blame everyone with weak faith who doesn't agree with you. Maybe they just don't agree with you.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:07 PM   #5
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Oh brother. I hope this post was intended to get a reaction and you are accomplishing that.

However, I do know there are others who actually believe what you just said and to them I would say don't blame everyone with weak faith who doesn't agree with you. Maybe they just don't agree with you.
Go find ZionsLion's posts on Cougarboard.

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=2835902

Last edited by Indy Coug; 07-17-2007 at 02:12 PM.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:54 PM   #6
BYU71

Quote:
Go find ZionsLion's posts on Cougarboard.

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=2835902
Wasn't this the Filiaga line too. Let's see, we decide we don't want to go to BYU but go to Utah instead. Oh man the whole religious part of the church is going to be pissed.

I got it. BYU is too great an academic institution. I want to be there but the academics are too tough.

That's OK man. We still love you. Especially now we know you would want to be with us if you felt you were as smart as we are.

By the way, I don't blame these kids for throwing that one out there. Who wants to be harassed by fans who think they can get the spirit back for you.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:00 PM   #7
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

I propose we tell smart recruits to come to BYU for its academic rigor, and we tell dumb recruits to come to BYU because it's easy and we'll give them tutors and the prof's will go easy on them.

You tell people what they want to hear in recruiting. Hitting a borderline student over the head with the difficulty of class might not be the best approach.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 03:02 PM   #8
Indy Coug

Well, here's one benefit of offering players earlier: if they bail on you, you still have months to go to fill their spot.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:08 PM   #9
BYU71

Quote:
Well, here's one benefit of offering players earlier: if they bail on you, you still have months to go to fill their spot.
Exactly. This doesn't lessen my respect and support of Bronco one bit. I just worry about some of the posters over on TBS who have pentecostal type experiences when one of these kids talk about their encounter with the spirit and the spirits admonition he attend BYU.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:31 PM   #10
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Many of these Polynesian recruits, even the ones we sign, often struggle academically. For reasons not entirely clear to me, academics is not a focal point for many Polynesians. They struggle with academic English and other aspects.

I have no idea if Siliaga is a marginal student, but it would not surprise me.

We lose some, we win some.