cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2008, 05:19 PM   #21
Snowcat

Snowcat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
My daughter's bf is currently serving in South America, current location disguised to protect the guilty.

Nonetheless, after querying numerous books and mothers of missionaries as to what was proper to send, my daughter sent a package to her missionary bf including small items for the twenty-five days of Christmas. To her great embarrassment and disappointment, the South American mission president opened the bf's mail, confiscated items he deemed according to his own wisdom as "contrary to his undisclosed and personal interpretation of mission rules", so that the bf was to receive only three of the twenty-five items.

The girl's mother is not a wallflower such as the girl's father. The mother went into action calling SLC finding who was in charge and researching the law of the South American country to determine which laws he had broken, and apparently he had broken several. She found the person in charge, a relative of a ward member, btw, and informed him that he, the MP or the Church would replace the items free of charge. Or there would be Hades in North and South America. Knowing her mother like I do, I suggest they pay attention.

Who says women don't govern the Church.
I wonder if the MP is new. I would think that there is a tendancy for a MP to start rule with an iron fist and relax over time. I can't imagine the stress of having the responsibility for all of those young elders and sisters. Excercise of dominion, whether righteous or unrighteous, would be a natural reaction to that kind of stress.
Snowcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 05:20 PM   #22
barnes

barnes is on a distinguished road

This threads reminds me of when I was a freshman in Heleman Halls. All the males recieved a postcard advertisment for Playboy magazine. I assume the school sells its student list but that list fell through the cracks of its use policy. Anyway, BYU could not remove the ads (because of federal law) from the students mail cubbies in the Cannon Center.
barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 07:05 PM   #23
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Funny, I thought the MP's superior was addressed because he ignored his own breach, after the MP was given an opportunity to recant. In a chain of command structure, one usually addresses misdeeds within the chain of command. The camel approach to command failures is a great recipe for success. Just ask George Bush.
Just the fact that you use these terms illustrates the problem.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 07:37 PM   #24
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Just the fact that you use these terms illustrates the problem.
You ignore the failings of your own analysis. Classic.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:50 PM   #25
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You ignore the failings of your own analysis. Classic.
I was being hyperbolic on purpose.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 02:39 AM   #26
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Alma 17:
Quote:
34 And it came to pass that the daughter of Abish heard of the struggles that Ammon had amongst the Lamanites. And it came to pass that she sent an epistle to Ammon, encouraging his good works and to strengthen him in his trial.

35 But when Himni received word of the epistle being carried towards Ammon, he intercepted it, for he knew with assurity that if Ammon read the epistle, he would no longer desire to tend after the king's flocks, but instead would be tempted to draw dirty petroglyphs and empty his personal factory.

36 And thus we see that Himni could read Ammon's mind, and knew that "thrust in his sickle" would be done with evil.

36 Epistle, adieu.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 05:58 AM   #27
mattbikeboy

mattbikeboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnes View Post
This threads reminds me of when I was a freshman in Heleman Halls. All the males recieved a postcard advertisment for Playboy magazine. I assume the school sells its student list but that list fell through the cracks of its use policy. Anyway, BYU could not remove the ads (because of federal law) from the students mail cubbies in the Cannon Center.
Wow, how funny! When I was a freshman in John Hall I signed up my RA for Playboy using one of those forms. Funny thing is, I'd probably do it again today (nearly 20 years later)!

mbb
mattbikeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 09:59 PM   #28
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

I'm pretty sure it is common practice for missionaries' mail to be screened at the mission office. Which I think is acceptable in some circumstances. For example, I would find it perfectly acceptable for the office to intercept an obvious love letter from someone within the mission.
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 10:06 PM   #29
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Cat View Post
I'm pretty sure it is common practice for missionaries' mail to be screened at the mission office. Which I think is acceptable in some circumstances. For example, I would find it perfectly acceptable for the office to intercept an obvious love letter from someone within the mission.
???

Laws are laws. Privacy is privacy. You don't go ripping open peoples letters and packages.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 11:23 PM   #30
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
???

Laws are laws. Privacy is privacy. You don't go ripping open peoples letters and packages.
The legality is another issue.

My point is, if my son serves a mission, I don't care if the office keeps love letters from girls within the mission from reaching him.
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote