cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2007, 02:02 PM   #1
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road
Default No pressure on Max Hall's shoulders...

I think it's pretty clear that the X factor for this year is Max Hall and his development. BYU will go as far as Max can take them. If he struggles, a 6-6 type season isn't out of the question. If he is Ty Detmer re-incarnate, there isn't a game on the schedule BYU can't win (some much tougher than others, granted).

The talent returns on the offensive line to help take the pressure off of Hall. He returns to solid RBs in Tonga and Fui. The receiving corps is a bit under-rated IMO. Reed, Allen, Collie could all be very solid this year. So'oto, George and Pitta all also have potential and while they can't replace Coats and Harline, they should help ease the pain of their losses.

A few things that I think will be interesting to watch for.

1) How much will Anae trust Hall, and how soon will he open up the playbook for Hall? Hall has had some time to learn the system, and I think this will help, but how much?

2) Who will Hall's primary target be? Who is going to step up and be the guy that Hall looks for when he needs a first down? Collie? Pitta? Reed? Allen? I don't know who it will be. My gut tells me it'll be Collie after his phenomenal freshman season, but I really don't know.

3) Can BYU continue to win at home? 2003-2005 were awful home years. It is not acceptable to have a sub-500 record at home. 2006 BYU got back on track winning every game at home, and I sure hope that they can continue that this year. If they can win all 6 home games, they should be in great shape for the season, especially with TCU and Utah at home. Winning 6 home games, and BYU has a 9 or 10 win season, and is likely conference champs.

I'm excited for the season to start. July is almost over, and that means football is just around the corner.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 02:08 PM   #2
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Very well put. Another player to watch is Mahuiku. Nate Meikle was a great safety valve for John Beck and seemed to make a couple of plays at key moments. I hope Mahuiku can fill the same role.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 05:28 PM   #3
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

I think with the offensive line we have returning and the solid RB corps (depending on Diluigi,Unga and Vakapuna being healthy and Tonga being free) We will see a different BYU offense than in years past. I expect it to be a lot more balanced to start the season while Hall gets acclimated to his new role. I think Max Hall is going to be good, but not right away. We will have to run the ball early to be effective.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:15 PM   #4
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
I think with the offensive line we have returning and the solid RB corps (depending on Diluigi,Unga and Vakapuna being healthy and Tonga being free) We will see a different BYU offense than in years past. I expect it to be a lot more balanced to start the season while Hall gets acclimated to his new role. I think Max Hall is going to be good, but not right away. We will have to run the ball early to be effective.
I think that goes without saying... I think opposing defenses will react to that as well. Max being able to step up early and make plays in key situations will go a LONG ways to helping the running game and keeping the defense on its toes.

I'm interested to see if Austin Collie can be close to his freshman-self. If he can, I imagine that will help out Hall a ton. Having a receiver who can beat single coverage makes it a lot easier to run play-action passes. Yet still, it depends on how well Max can get him the ball. It will be like the exact opposite of 2005 when teams knew we had Watkins and essentially took away the deep ball and dared us to throw underneath and make John Beck beat them.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 02:43 AM   #5
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

No pressure on him at all. He'll only disappoint 12 million or so Mormons less the few thousand or so that are Ute fans if he doesn't take BYU to the next level.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote