cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2008, 09:47 PM   #1
scottie

scottie is on a distinguished road
Default Lost...

For the people who are way too into Lost crowd, some possible easter eggs after the 2/14 episode...

They made reference to a “Minkowski” in the episode. Hermann Minkowski is a mathematician and here's his story:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermann_Minkowski

After you read that, you can surmise that Sayid is not working for Ben in the future, he is working for him in the current; all of this is going on at the same time but in different dimensions. That is how there are different times and such (the missile’s clock was off -- rip in time/different dimensions?). Sayid is the man Ben has on the boat. He knew the info about Charlotte because even though Sayid is on the island currently with Ben, he is also on the boat in a different dimension. Read the wiki about Minkowski and it will make way more sense.

RE: the significance of Jacob’s name, maybe the island is an axis mundi. An axis mundi is a thing or place that connects heaven and earth. It’s a concept found in both architecture and religion, and it can provide more than a connection; it can even be a pathway from one to the other. An example is JACOB’s Ladder, which was really a staircase that reached toward heaven and had angels ascending and descending on it.

More on axis mundi from Wikipedia…

Axis Mundi
…it may have the form of a natural object: a mountain, a tree, a vine, a stalk, a column of smoke or fire. (Smoke -- that’s would be the first logical explanation for what the smoke monster is)

…a person or a house could also act as an axis mundi; there have been several people seen on the island, including Walt, and Locke and Hurley have seen Jacob's house.

…a temple is also referenced; the Others went to a temple.

…it is also alleged to be the place where the four compass directions unite, allowing treasure from heaven to be disseminated throughout the world. This is said to place it at the center of the world: at its omphalos (navel), the world's point of beginning.

-so Locke's compass didn't work, perhaps because it was where the four compass directions unite.

-Desmond couldn’t get away on the boat, perhaps because he was always being steered back to the island because of bad compass reads.
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:48 PM   #2
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

One more: The name of the anthropologist is Dr. Charlotte Staples Lewis - a hat tip to C.S. Lewis. More specifily it's probably a reference to Prince Caspian...Old Narnians against the new, maybe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlotte_Lewis_%28Lost%29

Last edited by 8ballrollin; 02-20-2008 at 10:55 PM. Reason: link edit
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 11:01 PM   #3
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

I don't buy it.

A lot of Losties have names that are meaningful in philosophy and science. That theory is a possibility but not certain. I would be very disappointed if Sayid was the man on the boat. Too sci fi for my tastes. I don't think that's where we're going. I believe the sci fi geeks are going to end up a little disappointed in the final analysis of the plot and what the island is.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 11:12 PM   #4
8ballrollin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I don't buy it.

A lot of Losties have names that are meaningful in philosophy and science. That theory is a possibility but not certain. I would be very disappointed if Sayid was the man on the boat. Too sci fi for my tastes. I don't think that's where we're going. I believe the sci fi geeks are going to end up a little disappointed in the final analysis of the plot and what the island is.
I think they intentionally keep it vague. Which is fine by me. The ending may also be somewhat ambiguous. I enjoy the many references to different scientific, religious, literary and metaphysical themes. Anyone waiting for a big payoff at the end may be disappointed. I think it's great - even though not all of the themes introduced reach a conclusion.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:16 PM   #5
scottie

scottie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I don't buy it.

Obviously just theories. I think we'll find out who Ben has on the boat in tomorrow's episode, hopefully.
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 11:19 PM   #6
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I think Michael is Ben's man on the boat.
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 11:24 PM   #7
8ballrollin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrahWaters View Post
I think Michael is Ben's man on the boat.
Well done. Sounds right.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:46 AM   #8
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Ben and his organization obviously have a lot of resources at his disposal (they ran over Juliet's ex with a bus for example). It could be Michael but doesn't necessarily have to be someone we even know already. Viewers tend to make wild speculation based on a very narrow view of what they already know, when it doesn't need to be so.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote