cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2008, 04:55 PM   #1
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Caught LA Confidential on TV last night

It is one of my top 5 all time favorite movies and I think it's the best mystery movie ever made. It's one of those films that I can sit and watch anytime I see it on TV even though I know exactly what's going to happen.

One thing that surprised me is that the guy that played Lt. Ed Exley, Guy Pearce, looked to be a star in the making after that performance but I've never seen him since. It's been 10 years since LA confidential was made so I guess it isn't going to happen.

If for some strange reason you've never seen LA Confidential do yourself a favor, you've been missing out.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 04:57 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Most memorable movie for Guy Pearce was Memento, which came out after LA Confidential.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 05:04 PM   #3
SteelBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Most memorable movie for Guy Pearce was Memento, which came out after LA Confidential.
I'll have to check that out this week. Memento was released in a time where I don't think I saw a movie in theaters for 2 or 3 years. If the performance is even close to his work as Exley then it should be well worth watching.

While looking it up, I was reminded that LA Confidential lost Best Picture to Titanic that year. What a joke.

Last edited by SteelBlue; 02-18-2008 at 05:11 PM.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:15 PM   #4
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
I'll have to check that out this week. Memento was released in a time where I don't think I saw a movie in theaters for 2 or 3 years. If the performance is even close to his work as Exley then it should be well worth watching.

While looking it up, I was reminded that LA Confidential lost Best Picture to Titanic that year. What a joke.
I think it's at least as good. Memento is an extremely good film, but it's one that pretty much requires two viewings (assuming you haven't read spoilers).
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 09:38 PM   #5
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

Memento is a great show and I believe Pierce is better in Memento than LA. He was also in The Count of Monte Cristo which I love. Then he did some time travel show and his career ended.
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 09:40 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
Memento is a great show and I believe Pierce is better in Memento than LA. He was also in The Count of Monte Cristo which I love. Then he did some time travel show and his career ended.
Yeah, the Time Machine was kind of bad. I want to watch that Western he did. I watched the first 10 minutes and fell asleep, which is not a good sign.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:57 PM   #7
SteelBlue

Quote:
Yeah, the Time Machine was kind of bad. I want to watch that Western he did. I watched the first 10 minutes and fell asleep, which is not a good sign.
What Western was he in?
Old 02-18-2008, 09:58 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
What Western was he in?
Http://imdb.com is your friend.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:09 PM   #9
SteelBlue

Quote:
Http://imdb.com is your friend.
Hmmm, I shouldn't have declared his career over. He's got 5 movies coming out in 2008. Is "Ravenous" the film you were referring to? It sounds kind of interesting.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:40 PM   #10
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

Ravenous is set during the 1800's but I would not categorize it as a western. It is a strange little film that I enjoyed but is very weird. It deals with werewolves and/or canabalism. It has been some 8 years since I have seen it.
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote