cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2008, 06:42 PM   #1
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve
Default Persepolis

Has anyone seen or heard of this movie? It is nominated for Best Animated Film 2008.

My wife and I just went to see it. It was amazing. I highly recommend everyone to go check it out.

The basic premise is a story about a young Iranian girl, Marjane, who is living under the Shah's dictatorship. She rebels as a teen and engages in proscribed behavior (listening to music, makeup, etc). Marjane emigrates to Vienna when the Iran/Iraq war breaks out. She struggles with her identity, how she fits in both in the West and back home, and whether she could make a difference if she were to return to the Middle East after her studies.

The film is subtitled, but if your kids are old enough to enjoy a subtitled movie, it is a fantastic way to introduce them to some of the issues with radical Islam vs human rights, womens' rights, freedom of religion, etc.. While the movie is extremely political, the animation makes it very watchable (unless you are a radical Islamic, in which case this movie may be offensive).

Currently it is in limited release, but if you can, please go check this movie out. It was fantastic. It is running against Surf's Up and Ratatouille. I loved the Rat, but Persepolis should win the award easily (at least I hope it would).

Check out the link to the official website below. You can watch the trailer directly on the main page, but instead, enter the website and watch the trailer in a larger window there.

http://www.sonypictures.com/classics/persepolis/

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 07:23 PM   #2
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

I had never heard of it, but the trailers make it look good. The "Eye of the Tiger" song in trailer 2 was a bit hard to listen to, but other than that....

Without looking it up, I can almost guarantee I have no chance of seeing it here on the big screen. Indy and foreign films are virtually non-existent in my little redneck town.

I saw it has a PG 13 rating. What age kid would you say it is really appropriate for? Anything to be wary of for younger kids?
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 07:27 PM   #3
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
I had never heard of it, but the trailers make it look good. The "Eye of the Tiger" song in trailer 2 was a bit hard to listen to, but other than that....

Without looking it up, I can almost guarantee I have no chance of seeing it here on the big screen. Indy and foreign films are virtually non-existent in my little redneck town.

I saw it has a PG 13 rating. What age kid would you say it is really appropriate for? Anything to be wary of for younger kids?
Well, no nudity, but there are some scenes that could be "scary" (bombings, etc).

It was great. Even if you dont take your kids, go check it out with wifey.

It is in limited release now, but if it wins the Oscar, it will come to your town....or at least to DVD pretty quickly.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 02-14-2008, 08:09 PM   #4
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Has anyone seen or heard of this movie? It is nominated for Best Animated Film 2008.

My wife and I just went to see it. It was amazing. I highly recommend everyone to go check it out.

The basic premise is a story about a young Iranian girl, Marjane, who is living under the Shah's dictatorship. She rebels as a teen and engages in proscribed behavior (listening to music, makeup, etc). Marjane emigrates to Vienna when the Iran/Iraq war breaks out. She struggles with her identity, how she fits in both in the West and back home, and whether she could make a difference if she were to return to the Middle East after her studies.

The film is subtitled, but if your kids are old enough to enjoy a subtitled movie, it is a fantastic way to introduce them to some of the issues with radical Islam vs human rights, womens' rights, freedom of religion, etc.. While the movie is extremely political, the animation makes it very watchable (unless you are a radical Islamic, in which case this movie may be offensive).

Currently it is in limited release, but if you can, please go check this movie out. It was fantastic. It is running against Surf's Up and Ratatouille. I loved the Rat, but Persepolis should win the award easily (at least I hope it would).

Check out the link to the official website below. You can watch the trailer directly on the main page, but instead, enter the website and watch the trailer in a larger window there.

http://www.sonypictures.com/classics/persepolis/
I caught the end of an interview with the film maker and it piqued my interest. Danimal and I will definitely rent it when it comes to DVD. I doubt it will come to this thriving metropolis I live in now.
marsupial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 08:49 PM   #5
Mindfulcoug

Mindfulcoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Glad you liked it ....since we arenot supposed to watch movies or theaters to actually receive authentic information, i would better not bother to participate in the thread or elaborate the case .... just to make you happier ..i do hope this movie grasps an oscar award too..otherwise it would be truly disappointing to see ,such a huge political tendency was worth nothing.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:51 PM   #6
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfulcoug View Post
Glad you liked it ....since we arenot supposed to watch movies or theaters to actually receive authentic information, i would better not bother to participate in the thread or elaborate the case .... just to make you happier ..i do hope this movie grasps an oscar award too..otherwise it would be truly disappointing to see ,such a huge political tendency was worth nothing.
It's getting significant attention from the media. Even if it doesn't win, more people will see it now that it has been nominated.
marsupial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 09:01 PM   #7
TripletDaddy

Quote:
You are safe. It isnt playing in the Middle East anyway, since it is a French movie.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:03 PM   #8
Mindfulcoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
It's getting significant attention from the media. Even if it doesn't win, more people will see it now that it has been nominated.
Ofcourse it is..i would be surprised if it wasnot .the media owners are wise enough not to miss any opportunity to dehumanize whom they hate the most.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:11 PM   #9
Mindfulcoug

Quote:
You are safe. It isnt playing in the Middle East anyway, since it is a French movie.
It isnot a matter of country or region ,rather idealogy and culture.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:00 PM   #10
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Ooooh, now I want to see it.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote